Garmin - hated by map customers?

Nightray

I just installed Garmin City Navigator NT. Its compulsory internet based key code generator requires registration and an account name. This is bad behavior and customers don't like it. At least I don't. So, for an account name, my first thought was "no_name". Nope, its taken. "I_dont_want_a_user_name" is taken too.Edited by moderator: Many examples of rude names deleted" You get the picture. Garmin's reluctant customers have taken to hating this company at a level not seen since Microsoft released Vista. Do you hate this compulsory registration too?

Edited by robertlipe

So whats the point of this thread?

Yes, you have to create an account (you also need one for here and pretty much everywhere else)

And Yes, your not very original with your name choices.

The point of the thread is to let Garmin know that their behavior, that is, not disclosing that a customer who purchases a map product must provide a name, address, email address, GPS serial number, IP address, browser version, operating system, and other information to Garmin just to use the product they purchased is not contributing to any customer satisfaction.

The thread is intended to poll others and demonstrate that the practice bothers more than just me. It also bothered the many customers who picked all those insulting user names. There was not attempt to be creative, but rather to send a message to Garmin while not cooperating with their registration scheme.

The point of the thread is to let Garmin know that their behavior, that is, not disclosing that a customer who purchases a map product must provide a name, address, email address, GPS serial number, IP address, browser version, operating system, and other information to Garmin just to use the product they purchased is not contributing to any customer satisfaction.

The thread is intended to poll others and demonstrate that the practice bothers more than just me. It also bothered the many customers who picked all those insulting user names. There was not attempt to be creative, but rather to send a message to Garmin while not cooperating with their registration scheme.

It satisfied me. Maybe I'm strange, but I paid $130 for the software and I don't want some thief to be able to download a copy of the DVD with some serial number generator (like so many other software is) and install it on their GPS for free. And Cheers to garmin for doing it.

It took me a whole minute to register (I just used my geoname :lol: ).

Put me on the other side of the poll I guess :)

Edited by scavok

Iave to agree there, if you're going to pay this kind of money for software, you'd want to make sure it's as theft proof as possible. As for creating accounts, IP and browser information (including screen resolution) are usually gathered for market research purposes so that the web designers can get the pages right and the marketing bods can target the geographic areas better. No great shakes really.

So five people are really upset and used the names you wanted to use. That means that Garmin is hated?

I used my real name. When my GPS was lost I filled a police report. I sent the report in to Garmin and they sent me a new unlock code to use on my replacement GPS. I saved $65 for an additional unlock just because they had a way to identify me. Doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.

It satisfied me. Maybe I'm strange, but I paid $130 for the software and I don't want some thief to be able to download a copy of the DVD with some serial number generator (like so many other software is) and install it on their GPS for free. And Cheers to garmin for doing it.

It took me a whole minute to register (I just used my geoname :) ).

Put me on the other side of the poll I guess :lol:

I agree with scavok 100%. I had absolutely no problem with the registration process. It was quick and painless, and provided me with some protection for my purchase (which fortunately I haven't needed, at least not yet).

I've been registering all sorts of software for many years using similar processes and it's never bothered me a bit.

Also, I'm guessing that hundreds of thousands of purchasers have gone through that registration process, and you've discovered maybe seven or eight cranky ones who used snide account names. I'm not impressed. :)

--Larry

I just installed Garmin City Navigator NT. Its compulsory internet based key code generator requires registration and an account name. This is bad behavior and customers don't like it. At least I don't. So, for an account name, my first thought was "no_name". Nope, its taken. "I_dont_want_a_user_name" is taken too. Someone has also signed up with "Garmin sucks". Too bad. "Garmin blows" is taken too. Looks like I'm not the only one cursing. "Screw Garmin"? Nope. "No name"? Taken. "Eat me"? You get the picture. Garmin's reluctant customers have taken to hating this company at a level not seen since Microsoft released Vista. Do you hate this compulsory registration too?

If you don't want to register, just buy the maps pre-loaded onto microSD cards. No unlocking or registration required.

My only complaint against Garmin is that they don't fully support the Macintosh (though they do support it more than any other GPS manufacturer).

There's a perfectly fine alternative to City Navigator that, with $6.00US and about 10 minutes or less, will give you all the functionality and none of the registration/unlock hassle. It's mentioned in this forum quite a bit. So, you've got buyer's remorse -- did you research your product, or did you just go out and buy it?

And do you really think your "I'm pissed" user name is going to make one whit of difference? Think anyone besides Web programmers looks at those, and do you realize how many users are out there with just generic names like "Nightray" so that a user named "Garmin_Blows" will just disappear into the noise?

Once you've saved up enough money with your lawn-mowing, do some research before you buy your next mapping product.

There's a perfectly fine alternative to City Navigator that, with $6.00US and about 10 minutes or less, will give you all the functionality and none of the registration/unlock hassle. It's mentioned in this forum quite a bit.

Would it have hurt you to mention it here? If you are going to take the time to write up such a large response, why leave out the most critical information?

Once you've saved up enough money with your lawn-mowing, do some research before you buy your next mapping product.

Why the snide comment? Is this just for an ego boost?

Edited by jpt19

As far as a underground haterade convention on Garmin I'm not so sure there is one... but I too dislike registration processes for software. I'd like everything I need to get going in the jewel case. If they have a sernum printed in there, well, fine, but I'd rather not have that at all.

I know I know, pirates would compromise it and the company would lose money. Well I was under the impression that was why the software cost over $100 in the first place. It's like 10 bucks for a movie ticket, 20 bucks for a CD... it just doesn't add up to me personally.

Many people will likely say the price is well worth it, and to some yes, and to some no it is not. For me, a good price point would be $30. I just don't feel the maps should be on par with the cost of the GPS.

[There's a perfectly fine alternative to City Navigator that, with $6.00US and about 10 minutes or less, will give you all the functionality and none of the registration/unlock hassle

I purchased city navagator nt on a sd card and am thrilled with it...but this has my attention too :)

Edited by We Gotta Hunt

I'm pretty sure there are key generators and registration cracks to get around registering your maps. If there's not any yet for 2008, there will be soon. It usually doesn't take long for someone to figure it out.

Ridiculously easy to find and use, every single piece of Garmin software is available for download, and easily cracked including all 2008 products. This didn't use to be the case, but as GPS's become more mainstream, the demand went up and got the interest of the crackers.

I choose to support the developers and purchase the software though.

Edited by Baumer

Too bad the OP couldn't have posted without potty language.

And really too bad that the OP was filled with assumptions and supposition regarding what "other" customers feel/think about Garmin.

And in order to post here, one has to create and account and sign up and I don't think that that makes Groundspeak "hated" by its customers..

Sounds like malicious trolling to me.

The main point in my opinion is that legit users get all the crap. Register here, register there, Activate this, call there, if you change anyting in your computer you have to do it again,, etc etc. You have to prove over and over again that yourw not the camel.

While any software pirate would just crack it in like few minutes afetr poking around on the net.

So what is the outcome ?

Honest ones get the most bulls***. :)

And the ones who want to use pirated software use it anyway.

Braindead, if you ask me.

And there always will be the ones who pirate software, So why to annoy the living hell out of legit users?

Not that I encourage or approve cracking software. But right now, if youre legit you get the most crap from any software (company).

My only complaint against Garmin is that they don't fully support the Macintosh (though they do support it more than any other GPS manufacturer).

They've promised full support, even though it has been very slow in coming. Still, it's hard to be too upset about their Mac support, since it is light years ahead of any of the other manufacturers.

--Marky

I also dislike having to create a stupid internet account for every nit picky thing. Most of these companies are one product wonders who I could care less if I ever see them or a SPAM email from them again.

Garmin's mapping solution is no different. I begrudigngly created an account and now have no information on it. My email has changed, my address, and everthing else about that account. My unlock code is still tied to it. Nothing but a nuisance.

The only saving grace is that Garmin hasn't yet made a new GPS worth upgrading to so that I can see about that second unlock code. That and Windows Vista doesn't work well enough to let me sync my maps anyway.

Don't you just love parinoid sock puppets.

With data theft as prevalent as it is, people are hardly "parinoid" for wanting to protect their personal information. Only a fool would think otherwise.

http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2008/01/01/data-theft.html

From the sounds of it though, you can sign up without giving real personal info... (Can you? ) That's better if so. Still a pain in the ... though.

Magellan made me sign away my first child to get western Canada topo maps on my Crossover. (Not really, but they definitely have most of my private info.) Of course, every experience I've had with Magellan in the last year has been pretty bad.

Edited by bandc9

So whats the point of this thread?

Yes, you have to create an account (you also need one for here and pretty much everywhere else)

And Yes, your not very original with your name choices.

Wow. I guess it's all in the perspective. I registered my TOPO 2008 for use with my Vista HCx. It took less than a minute. All of my Garmin products are registered. When I go to MyGarmin when I'm on their site, it shows my products, and all of the information pertaining to them. I can get updates, upgrades, use their geocaching feature and check into other products. I'm very happy with the process. Also, if it helps prevent hackers from paying nothing for a product that I paid Cabela's good money for, then I'm all for it.

Perspective I guess...............

I have no problem registering my maps. My only complaint is that I have two Garmin GPS units and now I have to pay twice to use the new maps on the different units. :o

Dooley

Don't forget if you send the unit in for service, they are going to send you a different one in return. The unit ID won't match what you unlocked your maps with and your maps won't work. A call to Garmin they will give you another unlock, but I shouldn't have to jump through these hoops(I also should have mentioned it when calling in the first time).

Since I have to register the GPSr and maps with garmin they should have this information readily available to the call center personnel, if I have to send my unit in they should say "Sir, it looks like you also have one of our locked map products, we will send a new unlock code along with your refurbished GPS".

Edited by hogrod

Here is the solution to the 'Big Brother' attitude you think Garmin has:

Click-Me

I'm on the other side of the argument. I used to work in software development, and it chaps me to no end the number of people who just won't pay for software.

Would you like it if I came over to your house and ate your groceries or took your lawnmower? Yeah, you'd be mad, because you worked hard to earn the money for those things.

Well, we work hard to develop a product, and selling it puts food on our table. Because people steal it, we have to put processes in place to prevent that. Plain and simple.

You want free maps? The Visitors Centers in every state pass them out by the truckloads -- no charge and they don't even ask you to sign the visitors log.

Here is the solution to the 'Big Brother' attitude you think Garmin has:

Click-Me

I'm on the other side of the argument. I used to work in software development, and it chaps me to no end the number of people who just won't pay for software.

Would you like it if I came over to your house and ate your groceries or took your lawnmower? Yeah, you'd be mad, because you worked hard to earn the money for those things.

Well, we work hard to develop a product, and selling it puts food on our table. Because people steal it, we have to put processes in place to prevent that. Plain and simple.

You want free maps? The Visitors Centers in every state pass them out by the truckloads -- no charge and they don't even ask you to sign the visitors log.

Roger that glenfg, and a HUGE 10-4! Plenty much lines of code put plenty much food on my table!

And yes, I am wearing my AFDB under my hat. :o

I have registered three personal GPS' and also included four others from work on my account. Registration makes it easy to keep track of everything in one place. It was come in handy retrieving unlock codes for the various maps installed on my laptop and computer at work. A couple months back we got new computers at work. I forgot to retrieve the unlock codes for MapSource. I didn't lose sleep as I retrieved them from my Garmin account.

Here are Garmin's reasons to register:

Why Register?

By providing us with some basic information, we will be better able to serve you in many respects. Keep in mind, all information provided to Garmin during the registration process will be treated in accordance with Garmin's Privacy Policy. Complete your product registration today to enjoy the following important benefits:

Protect Yourself.

When you register your product, you can verify your ownership for insurance purposes if your product is ever lost or stolen (in the event you have insurance coverage on your product). Registering also allows us to contact you in the unlikely event that a safety modification or warning is issued for your product.

Get Updates.

Registering your product gives you the option to find out about product enhancements, promotional material, and software and product upgrades.

Customize Your Account.

The information you enter during the registration process is stored in your myGarmin® online account, which helps you keep track of your products and warranty status and gives you access to innovative, product-specific services and software, along with other exclusive benefits.

Doesn't bother me at all. I'm totally satisfied with Garmin and the fact that I was registered made things much easier when I had problems with an unlock code.

Garmin's reluctant customers have taken to hating this company at a level not seen since Microsoft released Vista

Geez, you wouldn't know that from the user groups and forums that I'm am member of. Maybe there are clandestine meetings held by this mass of disaffected users that us blissfully happy Garmin users are unaware of. Is it some sort of secret club, or are you just guilty of hyperbole?

[There's a perfectly fine alternative to City Navigator that, with $6.00US and about 10 minutes or less, will give you all the functionality and none of the registration/unlock hassle

I purchased city navagator nt on a sd card and am thrilled with it...but this has my attention too :D

Is it possible to copy/backup the sd card in case of hardware failure?