Colorado 400t doesn't work with GSAK.

RonFisk

Has anyone else has this problem? I can't get any of my waypoints to download through GSAK. This is a real PITA as all my data is in GSAK. I get the error that there is a USB connection problem. But it seems fine with everything else. This looks like another rush to market with buggy software. At least I still have my GPSMAP 60gsx which is flawless. Any suggestions....

Has anyone else has this problem? I can't get any of my waypoints to download through GSAK. This is a real PITA as all my data is in GSAK. I get the error that there is a USB connection problem. But it seems fine with everything else. This looks like another rush to market with buggy software. At least I still have my GPSMAP 60gsx which is flawless. Any suggestions....

I use GSAK with my Colorado 400t. Once I have the caches filtered the way I want, I just export a GPX file. The Colorado can read those.

Since geocaches don't appear on the map, I also run the GPX file through Spinner and load it into mapsource. This way I have map icons for the different types and sizes of caches.

I use GSAK with my Colorado 400t. Once I have the caches filtered the way I want, I just export a GPX file. The Colorado can read those.

Since geocaches don't appear on the map, I also run the GPX file through Spinner and load it into mapsource. This way I have map icons for the different types and sizes of caches.

I do the same as you, except I use a GSAK macro to export the caches as POIs, which have the geocaching icons for the different cache types.

--Marky

I do the same as you, except I use a GSAK macro to export the caches as POIs, which have the geocaching icons for the different cache types.

--Marky

I do both, :)

--Marky

How do you do that? I was out caching today in an area where I knew there were several caches I had not found. They didn't show up on the map as waypoints, but were in the geocache list.

I use a GSAK macro to export the caches as POIs, which have the geocaching icons for the different cache types.
How do you do that? I was out caching today in an area where I knew there were several caches I had not found. They didn't show up on the map as waypoints, but were in the geocache list.
There is a waypoint limit, but I haven't seen a limit on POIs, so I can have 20,000 geocache POIs if I want. The main drawback on POIs is that they are read only. You can't even delete them out in the field. What I do in the field to keep track of my finds is to copy a POI to a new waypoint. At the end of the day, I can look at my waypoint list and what I've found (and DNFd). There's a GSAK macro that generates POIs. I modified it a bit to take advantage of the Colorado POI format. You get close to 200 characters in the POI name field which is long enough for a lot of info. When the macro is finished, you have to run the garmin poiloader program to put them onto the Colorado.

--Marky

After having this unit less than a day, I can see many of the units "problems" are simply people not knowing what they are doing.

E X A C T L Y !!!

Its embarassing to those who are having problems and not fair to those who are really having issues, but the general sense that I get of this is that people are spending money they can't afford for a unit that they aren't taking the time to learn. If they would spend half the effort they expend on complaining about how it doesn't work and learn how it does work, they would be happy. Victims won't do this though. Happiness isn't their goal.

After having this unit less than a day, I can see many of the units "problems" are simply people not knowing what they are doing.

E X A C T L Y !!!

Its embarassing to those who are having problems and not fair to those who are really having issues, but the general sense that I get of this is that people are spending money they can't afford for a unit that they aren't taking the time to learn. If they would spend half the effort they expend on complaining about how it doesn't work and learn how it does work, they would be happy. Victims won't do this though. Happiness isn't their goal.

So you are saying the people having problems are poor, lazy, like to complain, and enjoy misery? An actual manual that explains the functions, feature layout, and instructions would be nice and would eliminate many of the questions and issues that seem to annoy you. Not everyone is a techie, not everyone knows of the work-arounds, and not everyone would be able to devine how to use their Colorado since it behaves like no other model. Give people a break, offer friendly and helpful advise and information if you can, and keep your insulting opinions to yourself.

Have a great weekend!!

Not wanting to cause flames here, but...

On my 76CSx I use GSAK to load WAYPOINTS. GSAK does this nice and efficiently and there are no GPSr specifics asked for in the GSAK setup other than the types of data the unit can support. It appears that Garmin has messed with the loading of WAYPOINTS into the Colorado. Why, I don't know.

I have exported GPX files from GSAK and they showup in the Colorado as they should (at least I think they do). The GPX file is XML (see the first line if you open a gpx file with notepad) and needs to be parsed into the individual cache entries one can scroll through. This is different than a WAYPOINT in the conventional sense. It is the means of having all the log entry data at hand.

Will Garmin add some software that can parse the GPX file and create waypoints from it? Hopefully they will. While I wait for this, I am still using the 76 in the field...

Maybe Clyde can figure out the Colorado issues and get GSAK to load WAYPOINTS into the waypoints database as it does with the other units. I would expect to see a new release of GSAK soon. I haven't been to that forum to see what is being discussed.

Sorry if I've plowed ground that has already been discussed.

George

Maybe Clyde can figure out the Colorado issues and get GSAK to load WAYPOINTS into the waypoints database as it does with the other units. I would expect to see a new release of GSAK soon. I haven't been to that forum to see what is being discussed.

It shouldn't be too tough, since GPX files from TC already create waypoints instead of geocaches. So, it should just be a matter of creating the appropriate info in the GPX.