Micro SD with sd converter on Colorado 300

bdejong

I did do a search but I did not get a good answer to this.

For some reason I thought the colorado used a MicroSD card so I bought a 4gig SanDisk MicroSDHC card that comes with an SD adapter today.

Can someone please verify that this will work???

Here is the part number and the description.

Sandisk SDSDQ-4096-A11M 4GB Micro Secure Digital High Capacity Card

SanDisk is proud to announce our newest format and capacity to the SD card family, microSD High Capacity (microSDHC) 4 GB flash card. Included as bonus is our new MicroMate SD/SDHC compatible, high-speed USB 2.0 Reader. This will help and ensure your transition from the microSD format to the microSDHC format for our card and for compatible host devices. Also comes with a full size SD adapter to fit into devices with an SD slot.

Edited by bdejong

I am using a Kingston 1 gig micro with the included adapter in my Colorado 400t.

For some reason I thought the colorado used a MicroSD card so I bought a 4gig SanDisk MicroSDHC card that comes with an SD adapter today.

SanDisk is proud to announce our newest format and capacity to the SD card family, microSD High Capacity (microSDHC) 4 GB flash card. Included as bonus is our new MicroMate SD/SDHC compatible, high-speed USB 2.0 Reader. This will help and ensure your transition from the microSD format to the microSDHC format for our card and for compatible host devices. Also comes with a full size SD adapter to fit into devices with an SD slot.

I am using a Kingston 1 gig micro with the included adapter in my Colorado 400t.

Sure, this should work fine. As a matter of fact, I understand that all the pre-loaded mapping software cards that Garmin will sell are Micro SD in the SD sized adapter. I guess this way one card fits all (60's, 76's and Colorados). There's also a 4000 map limit and 4GB is the max sized card usable in the Colorados I understand.

SDHC cards are not officially supported. Only the standard SD cards. The high capacity range from 4GB-32GB however, 4GB also come in HC and non-HC which causes a lot of confusion.

Now, that's not to say the HC cards won't work in the unit. I have heard a couple of other forum users using 4GB SDHC cards with success. I do not beleive you can use more than 4GB but that is yet to be determined. Would love to know if anyone has tried it.

Edited by Source_GPS

OK,

I put the microSD into the SD converter and put it in the 300 and guess what... It appears to work!!!

I loaded all the maps from topo 2008 from my home state and they loaded just fine.

It appears to see the whole drive.

It was a good deal, 50.00 for the micro, converter and a cool little usb drive to plug it into your computer.