List of UK Counties

Deceangi

I vote Rutson's list, now that Wales has been sorted out. I happen to have been looking at local govt. reform in Wales as part of my job - nobody has really taken to the 22 county system (especially in the south Wales valleys) but I don't think there's any serious prospect of another reform anytime soon.

I live in Middlesbrough which used to be part of the county of cleveland. This county has now been disolved and there are now four unitary authourities of middlesbrough, redcar & cleveland, stockton-on-tees, and hartlepool. Technically i suppose i dont live in a county but i consider my self to live in north yorkshire, which i understand middlesbrough was a part of before some one thought up the county of cleveland. i'm sure there are people in other parts of the uk who are in a similar situation. where does the question of county leave us?

I live in Middlesbrough which used to be part of the county of cleveland. This county has now been disolved and there are now four unitary authourities of middlesbrough, redcar & cleveland, stockton-on-tees, and hartlepool. Technically i suppose i dont live in a county but i consider my self to live in north yorkshire, which i understand middlesbrough was a part of before some one thought up the county of cleveland. i'm sure there are people in other parts of the uk who are in a similar situation. where does the question of county leave us?

You'll find we've not gone for county level, instead the UK has been split into areas. This Post explains how the country has been divided up.

We know that PQ's CAN return more than 500 caches 'cos the special 'My Found' one returns nearly 1600. What are the chances of TPTB setting up special PQs, similar to the My Found, that return all the caches in a particular area?

Given the response to the many times this has come up in the main forums I would guess that the answer is "very little" :o Even (especially?!) Reviewers are limited to 500 cache PQ's.

Sorry.

We know that PQ's CAN return more than 500 caches 'cos the special 'My Found' one returns nearly 1600. What are the chances of TPTB setting up special PQs, similar to the My Found, that return all the caches in a particular area?

Given the response to the many times this has come up in the main forums I would guess that the answer is "very little" :D Even (especially?!) Reviewers are limited to 500 cache PQ's.

Sorry.

Great point. I was thinking that myself. You could get the whole of the UK in a relatively small number of PQs which would certainly save on the amount of e-mail traffic. :(

Upps <_< sorry folks I meant to update folks about this. Miss Jenn has chased this up, and asked me to give her a nudge in 2 weeks to see whats happening. This has not been forgotten I promise.

Any update?

I am getting to the stage where I will have to do some radical surgery on my PQs (currently based on original placing date) to feed GSAK - or sign up for another account B)

The new filtering system will allow me to filter PQs properly (and probably reduce the number I need)

I cache all along the south coast and occasionally in London, Wales and the Midlands as I move around for my job, so it is tricky coming up with a PQ filter that doesn't include all of the UK. I suppose I will have to move to a combined geographic filter (say 200 miles based on Bristol) and hiding date (to keep PQ below 500)

Anyone have any ideas?

The latest GSAK BETA now provides macro functions that let you easily add UK counties to your caches.

It's being discussed on the GSAK forum here:

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=8564

Thanks for that :mad: I have had a play and now sussed how to do it. Is there a way to export to the findstats macro and create some sort of chart of the counties visited or even create a county map :)

The latest GSAK BETA now provides macro functions that let you easily add UK counties to your caches.

It's being discussed on the GSAK forum here:

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=8564

Thanks for that :blink: I have had a play and now sussed how to do it. Is there a way to export to the findstats macro and create some sort of chart of the counties visited or even create a county map :D

Interesting but this is only resloving things in the GSAK database

What I would like is the ability to filter on multiple counties or regions at the PQ level - then I would not be downloading hundreds of caches I will never go near

This has to be A Good Thing from GS's point of view as it will surely reduce the overall number of PQs

It looks like we are heading that way which is great - but how long will it be?

I see MissJenn is visting the forum, any news on this?

It would seem not :huh:

Having read quite a few threads on different forums here I get the impression that a new policy is in place at GSP whereby nobody from HQ will answer customers' queries on the forums. It would appear that the closest we can get these days is a pronouncement from a moderator.

It's a shame really as it's always good to hear from an "official". At least you know then where you stand, even if you disagree. With the new policy in place you are left wondering.

I bet I have missed the announcement? But thought I would bump this as the list is now active.

I just noticed the new UK subdivision when looking at my "unfound caches around London" PQ and came here to see any announcement about it.

I already see some problems.. eg. GC1EBZB is listed as Southeast of England, whereas GC1EDCR is listed as East of England. Surely the latter is more south/east, but which one is right? Where are the imaginary borders between the listed parts of the UK?

Surely some note to all UK cachers (not just those reading the forum), defining which areas should be in "Southeast", "Southwest", "East", "West", "East Midlands", "West Midlands" etc., would be good... otherwise I see a lot of confusion coming up.

I bet I have missed the announcement? But thought I would bump this as the list is now active.

I just noticed the new UK subdivision when looking at my "unfound caches around London" PQ and came here to see any announcement about it.

I already see some problems.. eg. GC1EBZB is listed as Southeast of England, whereas GC1EDCR is listed as East of England. Surely the latter is more south/east, but which one is right? Where are the imaginary borders between the listed parts of the UK?

Surely some note to all UK cachers (not just those reading the forum), defining which areas should be in "Southeast", "Southwest", "East", "West", "East Midlands", "West Midlands" etc., would be good... otherwise I see a lot of confusion coming up.

What would be useful is a list of how the counties map to the regions. It would especially help people like me who live near the join of at least three of them.

What would be useful is a list of how the counties map to the regions. It would especially help people like me who live near the join of at least three of them.

We have a Google Earth KML file which will be available to be downloaded withing the next couple weeks. Once this is up and running The UK & Ireland Reviewer Team will point people to this. Over time caches listed in the wrong region will be corrected. As with any new feature there will be teething problems.

Deci

Rutson's list please, I'm fed up of not knowing which area to place my caches as i hardly think that Oswestry is West Midlands. I would like to see all the counties so i can say its Shropshire. For now i have been saying North Wales as its right on the border.

The Static Map and Google Earth KML Overlay can be found Here

Thank you for posting this, I was getting pretty confused.

Some of the areas just don't 'feel' right to me (SW being one of them) but if we leave out 'feel' and just look at the division of land, it makes a lot of sense. Thank you to all the folk who have put in the time to do this and come up with something.

Could you rename the Mega the 'Mid-South-West mega', or why not just stick with it as it is?

The only logical thing to do when adding a county drop down to an address field on a form is to display the UK counties in postal districts. These haven't changed in many years.

Simply add a user guideline to your form which explains this when users are trying to find the county they live in or change the 'County' label to 'Postal Districts'.

FYI, here is a full list of the postal districts throughout the UK:-

England

Avon

Bedfordshire

Berkshire

Buckinghamshire

Cambridgeshire

Cheshire

Cleveland

Cornwall

Cumbria

Derbyshire

Devon

Dorset

Durham

East Sussex

Essex

Gloucestershire

Hampshire

Herefordshire

Hertfordshire

Isle of Wight

Kent

Lancashire

Leicestershire

Lincolnshire

London

Merseyside

Middlesex

Norfolk

Northamptonshire

Northumberland

North Humberside

North Yorkshire

Nottinghamshire

Oxfordshire

Rutland

Shropshire

Somerset

South Humberside

South Yorkshire

Staffordshire

Suffolk

Surrey

Tyne and Wear

Warwickshire

West Midlands

West Sussex

West Yorkshire

Wiltshire

Worcestershire

Wales

Clwyd

Dyfed

Gwent

Gwynedd

Mid Glamorgan

Powys

South Glamorgan

West Glamorgan

Scotland

Aberdeenshire

Angus

Argyll

Ayrshire

Banffshire

Berwickshire

Bute

Caithness

Clackmannanshire

Dumfriesshire

Dunbartonshire

East Lothian

Fife

Inverness-shire

Kincardineshire

Kinross-shire

Kirkcudbrightshire

Lanarkshire

Midlothian

Moray

Nairnshire

Orkney

Peeblesshire

Perthshire

Renfrewshire

Ross-shire

Roxburghshire

Selkirkshire

Shetland

Stirlingshire

Sutherland

West Lothian

Wigtownshire

Northern Ireland

Antrim

Armagh

Down

Fermanagh

Londonderry

Tyrone

I hope this helps you and goes some way to settle this argument :0)