New Request : Nightcache

Herr des Waldes

Hi,

I would like to request a new Cache Type!

The Nightcache!

Sometimes I would very much like to go out nightcaching, and its hard to find a nightcache right away, because not every has "Night" in its name.

So I would very much like to get a new Cache Type for Nightcaches and a new Icon!

What do you think ?

Greets

Martin

Herr des Waldes

Hi,

I would like to request a new Cache Type!

The Nightcache!

Sometimes I would very much like to go out nightcaching, and its hard to find a nightcache right away, because not every has "Night" in its name.

So I would very much like to get a new Cache Type for Nightcaches and a new Icon!

What do you think ?

Greets

Martin

Herr des Waldes

The problem is, once you allow a "Night Cache", then it opens the flood gates. Should puzzles get their own types? What about caches hidden in caves? Although, I agree with you in spirit, I think it would cause more trouble in the long run.

The problem is, once you allow a "Night Cache", then it opens the flood gates. Should puzzles get their own types? What about caches hidden in caves? Although, I agree with you in spirit, I think it would cause more trouble in the long run.

Ummm... puzzles do have their own cache type... the "?" caches...

I do think a designation for night caches would be nice...

Edited by Peconic Bay Sailors

Ummm... puzzles do have their own cache type... the "?" caches...

I do think a designation for night caches would be nice...

the "?" cache is not a puzzle cache. It's an "Unknown" cache type and can be used for many different cache types. Most night caches are of the "?" variety. It just happens that the vast majority of "?" caches are puzzles, but not all "?" caches are puzzles.. (This sounds like a SAT question)

the "?" cache is not a puzzle cache. It's an "Unknown" cache type and can be used for many different cache types. Most night caches are of the "?" variety. It just happens that the vast majority of "?" caches are puzzles, but not all "?" caches are puzzles.. (This sounds like a SAT question)

Night caches in Salem, Oregon are registered under Multi's. I think an attribute might be better anyways.

Night caches in Salem, Oregon are registered under Multi's. I think an attribute might be better anyways.

Depends on the cache.. I guess that's my point... I'm in Clackamas, OR.... Go Ducks! :lol:

Herr de Waldes --- you are a premium member so you CAN search based on specific attributes when you do a pocket query.

Annie

Hmmm, but what about the basic members.

Would be nice to search for special attributes, or even better, Nightcaches would get their own

Cachetype.

In my opinion, finding (new) Nightcaches gets more comfortable and easier!

I am coming to this forum, after I have send a mail directly to Groundspeak:

"Hello

I'm a geocacher from germany and would like to suggest the introduction of a Nightcache symbol attribute,

i.e. a symbol for caches which can and should be only seeked out at night.

Typical for these are Caches which consist of stages were the coordinates lead you to places at which you have to use a flashlight to seek a reflector hidden between 50 and 500 feet away, where you find the next coordinates or the final.

These are quite popular in germany.

Until now there is no consistent attributation of night caches.

Flashlight required, not available 24/7 and recommended at night are used sometimes alone, sometimes two of the , and sometimes all.

The existing combination of attributes is inconvinient for a number of reasons:

1. using recommended at night, not available 24/7 and flashlight required leads to the situation, that frequentliy one of the atrributes ist forgotten by the owner, and therefore the listing doesn't appear in a pocket querie.

2. the not available 24/7 will be ignored by the pocket queries, which leads to caches with tunnels etc. appearing in the PQ, which have nothing to do with "nightcaching" but are simply stages of ordinary multi-caches

3. An genuine NC Attribute would end all discussions pemanently, which attributes should be set for a night cache in the forums...

especially in the native german-language geoclub.de, which ist frequented by most of the geocaching.com heay-users from germany.

I imagine that this has probably been suggested before, and wanted to add some friendly pressure to this issue, if not i hope that i could provide some ideas for the continuing development of our shared interest.

Greetings form N 53° 10' E 008° 13' "

Maybe this would be a good way in the middle: not a cache type of it's own, but a genuine attribute for nightcaches.

I'm not sure why the people of Groundspeak have directed me here, but if it is to get some support (demand) for this, please join up ;-)

Greetings from Germany

Ringeck

I think the appropriate designation for nightcaches would be in the attributes.

Recommended at Night is useful (and certainly looks like the Night Cache attribute should) but there's a tiny difference between Recommended at Night and Required at Night.

Using the existing attributes, I think a combination of the Recommended at Night attribute and Flashlight Required attribute would do the trick, if only cache hiders would consistently use them. I personally would add the Not available 24/7 icon, but I agree that the use of that icon adds to confusion.

night-yes.gifavailable-no.gifflashlight-yes.gif

Unfortunately, attributes are rarely used and when they are, they are often used improperly. Here's some homework for premium members: Whatever you think Night Caches should use for attributes, create a PQ based on those attributes, and select only caches that you have already found. Now that you see which caches would have come up in that PQ, how many are actually night caches? Are there any night caches you have done that don't show in the list?

Hmmm, but what about the basic members.

Basic members can't search for winter caches based on attributes, either. But I don't think that's a reason to make it a cache type. Users who want to make PQs instead of sorting their results will get a membership. (And then they'll realize that attribute flags on most caches are either nonexistant or inaccurate).