Exporting from GeoBuddy to Magellan eXplorist 400

Okay so I'm brand new at this so please go easy on me! I have an eXplorist 400 and I'm using GeoBuddy as my software since I for some reason didn't get the CD with my Magellan that had Geocache Manager.

I'm imported LOC files from geocaching.com into Geobuddy but now I'm not sure what I need to do to have them show up as POIs in my Magellan. When I use the export function I end up with files but these don't show up anywhere in my GPS. Using MapSend Lite before I ended up with GS files. I've also seen UPT files.

What do I need to convert them to? And how to do I do that? GeoBuddy is set to the right type of GPS.

Cheers

Jody

so you exported them to the gps or just geobuddy, do you see them on geobuddy ? not sure if this will work on your gps but i have to change my profile on my gps itself (i.e hiking, geocaching, camping) otherwise they don't show. i think my buddy has the explorist i will ask him tomarrow to see if he has any ideas

james

Edited by cowgrlplzr

Your Magellan will accept them only as .upt (points of interest) or .gs (geocaches). As you're downloading .loc in the first place, you should try to export .upt to the magellan. You don't have enough information to fill in the fields for a .gs file and it may get wonky on you.

I'm not familiar with GeoBuddy. If it has a "file" tab, I'd look there for "export" and then for .upt as file type. Alternately you could download GPSBabel (free see the resources page on GC.com) and load your geobuddy files to it, and it will output .upt. Complicated, no? but you get used to it after doing it a couple of times.

GeoBuddy is set to the right type of GPS.

Be careful here; prior to the eXplorist series, Magellan accepted .loc - so you may have GeoBuddy set to Magellan, and Geobuddy is trying to export .loc. Your eXplorist won't accept that file type. Look for Magellan .upt file type. And perhaps check for an update to GeoBuddy if you don't see that output offered.

I use GSAK and needed to update when I got an eXplorist. The updated version included Magellan .gs and Magellan .upt file types. The older version did not.

Okay, I just looked at GeoBuddy. It's a flavor of ExpertGPS, which I have.

You "send to GPS" and select your GPS.

What I've found when using ExpertGPS is that it doesn't ACTUALLY want to send to gps - I "send" to a file folder on the hard drive. Then I connect my eXplorist to the computer and grab that file folder. I don't know why the direct send doesn't work, but the send to file, then grab file does work.

Edited by Isonzo Karst
What I've found when using ExpertGPS is that it doesn't ACTUALLY want to send to gps - I "send" to a file folder on the hard drive. Then I connect my eXplorist to the computer and grab that file folder. I don't know why the direct send doesn't work, but the send to file, then grab file does work.

I've been struggling to load a file today - I think I have a cable problem. Though I've been able to send from GSAK and not expertGPS for a while. Now when I plug the gps into the USB port, the computer indicates I have an external drive connected, but won't show it to me, or the unit spontaneously turns itself off. In any case, my issue is likely my cable or my gps, and not the software.

I've been struggling to load a file today - I think I have a cable problem. Though I've been able to send from GSAK and not expertGPS for a while. Now when I plug the gps into the USB port, the computer indicates I have an external drive connected, but won't show it to me, or the unit spontaneously turns itself off. In any case, my issue is likely my cable or my gps, and not the software.

Did you ever get this resolved? I have the same problem. My eTrex Vista connects to the computer, the computer knows it and will pass caches but it does not recognize the GPS as a new drive and will not let me explore the file contents of the GPS. There must be a way to "register" the new drive so that Windows Explorer show it as present.