Conspiracy?

stites1

This weekend, one of my caches turned up without a log book. Everything else was fine, swag intact, cache in proper spot, ect., but the log was gone. Two days later, same thing in another cache of mine about 8 or ten miles away. I figured once is a coincidence, twice may be a trend, so I went out =checking my caches in the area. All but one were fine, but that one was opened with the log laying outside the box and some of the swag broken into pieces. It was more visible than it should have been, but otherwise all there.

This is kinda strange. Is it just random, or could someone be teed off at me? I can't think of anything I've done. I've not been too terribly active in searching caches lately.

Anything like this happen to anyone else? Is there anything to be done. Log books are cheap, so it's really not more than annoying.

This weekend, one of my caches turned up without a log book. Everything else was fine, swag intact, cache in proper spot, ect., but the log was gone. Two days later, same thing in another cache of mine about 8 or ten miles away. I figured once is a coincidence, twice may be a trend, so I went out =checking my caches in the area. All but one were fine, but that one was opened with the log laying outside the box and some of the swag broken into pieces. It was more visible than it should have been, but otherwise all there.

This is kinda strange. Is it just random, or could someone be teed off at me? I can't think of anything I've done. I've not been too terribly active in searching caches lately.

Anything like this happen to anyone else? Is there anything to be done. Log books are cheap, so it's really not more than annoying.

Rather than publicize it in the forums, why don't you send a few emails to people that you know in your area to see if this has happened on their caches?

Muggles take the strangest things. I've had a cache that was tampered with, where the only thing missing was the lid and a travel bug. Who can explain why one thing gets taken and the rest left behind? Maybe they took the logbook because it presented a certain enigma. Maybe the muggle intended to Google the cachers' names.

Edited by nonaeroterraqueous
Rather than publicize it in the forums, why don't you send a few emails to people that you know in your area to see if this has happened on their caches?

Oh yeah...the publicity (?).....I don't see what's wrong with talking about it here.

Edited by PhxChem

Oh yeah...the publicity (?).....I don't see what's wrong with talking about it here.

Because it draws attention to the responsible party and provides them a laugh at irritating others. When the attention dies down, the person gets bored quickly and moves onto something else.

Because it draws attention to the responsible party and provides them a laugh at irritating others.

What percentage of geocachers even come to the boards?? This isn't exactly the nightly news.

And of course that assumes that someone is intentionally doing it.....which, based on the data presented here, seems to be the case IMO.

And of course that assumes that someone is intentionally doing it.....which, based on the data presented here, seems to be the case IMO.

I disagree. If it were a serial muggle, you'd expect to find a nasty note in place of the cache, or a name scrawled across the container, something that would get attention and make a name for the person.

If it's someone trying to take revenge, you'd probably just expect to see the cache disappear entirely, or be smashed to pieces. Simply taking a logbook seems less than effective as a means of saying "I hate you." It just doesn't convey a very strong message.

Anything like this happen to anyone else?

Yes. Something like it has happened to me a few times. *yawn*

When something targeted like this happens, you can bet it's a cacher. A sad and pathetic one, but a cacher none the less.

Is there anything to be done.

Not really. I mean, why would you want to even if you knew for sure? :)

Log books are cheap, so it's really not more than annoying.

Exactly!

In my case, I consider my caches to be gifts to the community. If someone wants to steal/destroy/mess with one, they are hurting everyone else. They certainly aren't hurting me... :lol:

Sad and pathetic people lose interest in their childish games when you don't cause a stink over what they have done. Shoo them off by ignoring them. It's not worth taking the time to swat them like the pathetic insects that they are.

Simply taking a logbook seems less than effective as a means of saying "I hate you." It just doesn't convey a very strong message.

Maybe this person is a bad communicator. The OP seems to have felt that it might be a message. Maybe some is just trying to be subtly annoying.

Just saying that out of the 100+ cache I've come across, I do not remember one missing log book. In my area, it's not a problem (it might be elsewhere).

And this cacher has multiple logs missing....just saying it sounds suspicious.

Replace the logs....and see what happens. Hopefully, nothing except caching.

Edited by PhxChem

We've had strange issues in our area where micro caches have been taken from their locations and placed in larger caches several miles away.

I still haven't figured that one out. People do really strange things.

Yep...happens around here as well! We have a "friend" who loves to play around with our caches!! Not sure who it is, but we have a suspect!! This person will move our caches, place extra containers, take the containers and then return them after we've replaced them and even sign under a sock puppet account (not proven, but...).