Beginning of a tutorial

smthng

I'm trying to figure out builder a bit. I've always found that the best way for me to learn something is to try to teach it. So, I'm making a tutorial as I go. So far, it's just the basic cart and zone creation, but I'll add more as I go. The screen shots are original size and the formatting is very basic... I'll address both of those before I consider it closer to done, but I'm interested in any thoughts (and corrections to anything I have wrong).

Do me a favor and let me know if this could be considered useful and if there's anything I should change before I continue.

http://www.smthng.info/Builder

Thanks!

Ok, I uploaded the next "chunk o' stuff". I changed a bunch of the HUGE dialog boxes to thumbnails and went through some basic event/action scripting. It's still not ready for public consumption, but I think I'm ready to start taking on a bit of feedback and suggestions if anyone has any more.

What I'm really concerned with right now are any errors that I might have because I don't understand or explain something correctly. There are also a few bits where I simply say "sorry, I don't know what this is yet" as well... if anyone can clue me in to some of those, that would be real helpful... I'm just learning as I go.

I'll worry about cleaning up and making it presentable when I know I've got the basic content correct. It's getting a lot bigger than I originally thought as well, so I'll probably break it into sections during my next major editing session... probably a main page that goes over the basic steps, which each heading I have as a separate page instead of all crammed onto one big page.

Good stuff! One thing, make sure you have the latest builder installed. We just released a pretty comprehensive update (uninstall your current builder and install this one). I noticed you have screen captures from some old Terraserver screens. We've since updated zone editing online to use Google maps, where you can tweak zone points. You start by creating a new zone via the address lookup, for example. Then, you can take that zone into the edit zone online and move the points around. Then, you can save the points and download them as new points for your zone.

David.

One thing, make sure you have the latest builder installed.

Ack! I'm a doofus. I updated every machine except the one I built the tutorial on. I'll get the screens fixed on my next hack at it.

Although, I just created a new zone with the new version and the same thing applies, so I don't think I'll have to update much. When I create a new zone using "Create from Map", it uses the painfully slow terraserver, just like my tutorials from the previous version. It's only AFTER I've created it that I can use Google. The Create from Address doesn't really work for the kind of stuff I'm doing... Memorials and monuments in DC don't really have addresses. :)

Thanks for the answers to my other posts too... they're all things I ran into writing up the tutorial. I'll make some adjustments based on the answers. Thanks again!

Edited by smthng

Hey thanks so much for this tutorial. It has let me get started on creating cartridges.

I think I found one little bug I wanted to point out.

If you keep entering the same zone, the TaskCounter goes up each time, despite the fact that you haven't actually gone to the other locations. The cartridge will then end prematurely.

I made a small change to correct this problem: only increment the counter for each zone the FIRST time you enter that particular zone.

See attachment. This fixed the problem.

Thanks again!

post-1290401-1203802167.jpg

Hey thanks so much for this tutorial. It has let me get started on creating cartridges.

I think I found one little bug I wanted to point out.

If you keep entering the same zone, the TaskCounter goes up each time, despite the fact that you haven't actually gone to the other locations. The cartridge will then end prematurely.

I made a small change to correct this problem: only increment the counter for each zone the FIRST time you enter that particular zone.

See attachment. This fixed the problem.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the the code. I'm taking a bit of a bit of a break from the tutorial until the new version of builder gets posted. I keep running into bugs and I don't think it's going to be real helpful for me to have to change it everytime I find something else. I'm glad it helped though. :D I'll check out hte code against my source in a bit.

I'll probably be revamping the whole tutorial next week... same content, but it's getting too "big" for just one page.

I'm trying to figure out builder a bit. I've always found that the best way for me to learn something is to try to teach it. So, I'm making a tutorial as I go. So far, it's just the basic cart and zone creation, but I'll add more as I go. The screen shots are original size and the formatting is very basic... I'll address both of those before I consider it closer to done, but I'm interested in any thoughts (and corrections to anything I have wrong).

Do me a favor and let me know if this could be considered useful and if there's anything I should change before I continue.

Thanks you very much for this cool tutorial.

I just made a geocache GC19PBK using your tutorial as a model.

I gave you credit on the cache page.

Hope it's ok with you.

cl

Thanks you very much for this cool tutorial.

I just made a geocache GC19PBK using your tutorial as a model.

I gave you credit on the cache page.

Hope it's ok with you.

My pleasure and it's completely ok with me... that's why I posted it in the first place. I hope it becomes a model to get a LOT of people started on Builder.

I just hope no one steals my tour before I finish it... I'm actually planning on doing a full walking tour of the National Mall and the memorials and monuments in the area.

I'll probably be updating the tutorial quite a bit over the next couple of days... I see a new builder was posted and hopefully it will fix the couple of roadblocks I've run into. :anibad:

Wow! That was impressive. It was VERY helpful, thank you very much!

These are very helpful. Thanks smthng and delta123. I was impressed these tutorials.

I would like to inform a tutorial in Japanese. (Japanese only)

These are consist of the following paragraphs.

1. Builder installation

2. First cartridge

3. Publish cartridge

4. Modify the first cartridge

5. Using Wizard

6. Using variants

7. Using Input Box

8. Using Timer

Edited by TOSY

Hello smthng!

"I felt in love" with idea of WIG recently and with your help I was able to start building "something" :blink:

Thanks a lot!

I just spent couple of weird hours to build up and test some additional simple logic for zone-to-zone progress and found out - I definitely need next guide :unsure: I got lost in events logic between zones-tasks-inputs-variables and perhaps will leave the idea for someone smarter. Now I'm never sure, if I'm making mistakes (mostly yes) or there's bug or miscode in emulator or in my colorado.

When you'll continue extending your tutorial, it would be really helpful for me (although it's not your job for sure). Thumbs up for your DC tour which is in process as well!

(I'm most interested in - how to setup user input logic correctly: when the user input is correct => set task complete else ask again for input, for some answer). I think this would interest many builders. :anibad:

cheers from Slovakia

(I'm most interested in - how to setup user input logic correctly...

:blink: I went thru this already. I was continuously making events for tasks (e.g. when task changes status to complete, then do this....). These events were ignored by emulator. But after I set all the events to zones and inputs - it became working like I wish.

(I'm sorry if I missed this information in any thread or help page. Please, link me, if so. Thank you)