Garmin Colorado firmware upates, when?

CelticDave

Keep in mind that many of the reported "problems" are not necessarily problems or flaws at all. Many of the reports are simply un-met expectations. I think the unit itself is substantially exactly what Garmin has said it will be. It is unfortuate that some users cannot seem to draw the difference between a true issue and thier own un-met expectations of how they think it should work.

I admit that it has not quite lived up to my expectations but I seevery few promises in any Garmin litature that the unit cannot meet.

Unfortunately I don't consider random shutdowns, poor very poor battery performance, an altimeter that fluctuates wildly an un-met expectation.

Silcone grease is what you need. I use to rebuild scuba gear, I understand water leaking in where it shoudn't very well.

So, I don't have any of this lying around. Where would I likely find it?

--Marky

Dive shop, Food prep (the use it on ice cream machines) stores, plumbing dept of some of the home repair stores.

Rmove the o-ring, apply it sparingly, you want a very think coat, best to put a small quanity (think paper match head size) in your fingers and rub all around it. You should see no build up of the silicone anyplace. The treated o-ring should have a "gloss" to it and no build up.

If you get dirt on the o-ring, remove it, wipe it and the mating surfaces on both pieces down with a paper towel, and then reapply.

I am curious, but maybe am just dumb, I just took the back off of my colorado 400t and dont see an actual "o-ring" Where are you suggesting you put the silicone on this unit?

** Nevermind, found it. I was being dumb.

Edited by Couverman

I can't understand how you guys can defend a unit that only allows you to delete individual waypoints, won't show geocache symbols on the map, or how about a symbol next to the way point name (hang on, Ill check that again... nope still not there). I was under the impression this was to be an upgrade.

This unit ranks right with iTunes in my book. They took "cool" and "user friendly" over "lets make this a unit you can actually do something with". 3/4 of the fun for me is customizing my unit and making it user specific to me and what I like to do. Seriously, how hard is it to program in a code that says "Do you want to see geocaching waypoints or not?". Why let a beta test group tell you what they want, leave it up to the user. Options people!

Guys - I have purchased a 400T. I am ready to return it to REI and say no thanks!

I was able to download - one by one a cache into the unit. I could read the pages just as designed. since then I can't get any new cache pages to be entered into it.

I find the owners manual so basic it doesn't say things like - you can never delete a geocaache!

I am sorry I am such a beginner at this. I have a VISTA as was ready to upgrade. Do I need to make a pocket guery and load it into mapsource before I can bring it into the 400T. Then it would be as a waypoint, so I would be able tor read the page.

Is there any place I can go that will tell me how to really use this thing without all the Programmer/Techie slang?

I need help!

Any advice would be appreciated - be nice.

Sue

I can't understand how you guys can defend a unit that only allows you to delete individual waypoints, won't show geocache symbols on the map, or how about a symbol next to the way point name (hang on, Ill check that again... nope still not there). I was under the impression this was to be an upgrade.

This unit ranks right with iTunes in my book. They took "cool" and "user friendly" over "lets make this a unit you can actually do something with". 3/4 of the fun for me is customizing my unit and making it user specific to me and what I like to do. Seriously, how hard is it to program in a code that says "Do you want to see geocaching waypoints or not?". Why let a beta test group tell you what they want, leave it up to the user. Options people!

Greetings, ConcreteInterface!

I, for one, am not defending the Colorado - in fact, I think you'll find that I, too, am fairly vocal in expressing my opinion about features that should be there, and aren't.

However, that being said: I am a satisfied Colorado owner. Is it perfect? Far from it. Does it do everything my 60CSx does? Nope. Does it do things my 60CSx will never be able to?

Absolutely.

As a big paperless cacher, my ultimate 'requirements' for this unit are STEEP - if it is to replace my Palm Tungsten C w/ CacheMate. However, even given today's functionality - I'm already doing 80+% of what I use the Palm for - all within a single, waterproof unit.

If you've got questions about the various ways you can load information into the Colorado: As Geocaches, as Waypoints, or as Points of Interest - there are lots of threads, both here and in the GSAK forums, as well as the FAQ, which go into all the detail you could want/need. If that seems like too much trouble, you can always continue doing what you're doing: Loading GPX files into MapSource, and pushing them as Waypoints. I believe apersson850 already advised you how to delete waypoints in bulk - and you can do the same with geocaching data, when the device is attached via USB, by just selectively deleting files from the unit.

Hope this helps - and don't hesitate to ask if you've got any specific questions.

Guys - I have purchased a 400T. I am ready to return it to REI and say no thanks!

I was able to download - one by one a cache into the unit. I could read the pages just as designed. since then I can't get any new cache pages to be entered into it.

I find the owners manual so basic it doesn't say things like - you can never delete a geocaache!

I am sorry I am such a beginner at this. I have a VISTA as was ready to upgrade. Do I need to make a pocket guery and load it into mapsource before I can bring it into the 400T. Then it would be as a waypoint, so I would be able tor read the page.

Is there any place I can go that will tell me how to really use this thing without all the Programmer/Techie slang?

I need help!

Any advice would be appreciated - be nice.

Sue

Hi Sue!

Does "pdxsue" mean you're from Portland? Beaverton is my "home town"...

ANYway:

Regarding getting both geocaches, AND waypoints, into the 400t:

Yes, it's a bit annoying right now: Loading in a GPX file full of geocaches (for example, a Pocket Query from geocaching.com) should provide both the goecaching information, as well as icons on the map which you can visualize and select. I'm sure that will come.

For now - you'll have to push the information twice:

First, by placing a GPX file (or files) into the device in:

[Drive Letter]:\garmin\gpx

Next, to get some sort of icons to display on the map - you can create waypoints in a variety of ways. As you mentioned, you can load a GPX file in MapSource, and then send the waypoints to the unit. Alternatively, you can use GSAK and a special macro to generate "waypoint only" GPX files (the won't load as geocaches, but rather, as waypoints - this is how MapSource works under the covers, as well.

Alternatively (and this is what I've taken to doing, for now) - you can push the caches as Points of Interest. It's a bit more cumbersome, since you have to use Garmin's POI Loader program - as well as something to create them (again, there's another slick GSAK macro to do all of this - but I realize there's a big learning curve to all of that).

I'm sure we can walk you through it, without all the techie/slang - but you'll have to be patient, and explain where you're getting stuck, or when someone describes a process you don't understand.

Let us know if this helped answer your question - or if you're more confused than ever. I'm sure that collectively, we can get you up and operational with the 400t, while Garmin works on getting us some updated firmware. ;-)

Greetings, ConcreteInterface!

I, for one, am not defending the Colorado - in fact, I think you'll find that I, too, am fairly vocal in expressing my opinion about features that should be there, and aren't.

However, that being said: I am a satisfied Colorado owner. Is it perfect? Far from it. Does it do everything my 60CSx does? Nope. Does it do things my 60CSx will never be able to?

Absolutely.

As a big paperless cacher, my ultimate 'requirements' for this unit are STEEP - if it is to replace my Palm Tungsten C w/ CacheMate. However, even given today's functionality - I'm already doing 80+% of what I use the Palm for - all within a single, waterproof unit.

If you've got questions about the various ways you can load information into the Colorado: As Geocaches, as Waypoints, or as Points of Interest - there are lots of threads, both here and in the GSAK forums, as well as the FAQ, which go into all the detail you could want/need. If that seems like too much trouble, you can always continue doing what you're doing: Loading GPX files into MapSource, and pushing them as Waypoints. I believe apersson850 already advised you how to delete waypoints in bulk - and you can do the same with geocaching data, when the device is attached via USB, by just selectively deleting files from the unit.

Hope this helps - and don't hesitate to ask if you've got any specific questions.

Not being a jerk here.. just need to vent

I paid 500 bucks for my 60CSx.. I was happy with it.. Yeah they could have improve a few minor things... I also paid 500 for the Colorado.. Its suppose to be the lasest and greatest, blow my socks off, talked about and hyped up unit ever... Then I get the thing and it does half the job my 60CSx does? Why would you be satisfied? This product should have done what the 60CSx did and more.

Then I get the thing and it does half the job my 60CSx does? Why would you be satisfied? This product should have done what the 60CSx did and more.

What exactly does it not do that the 60CSx does?

Here's a few things the Colorado does that the 60CSx can't:

Display shaded topo maps.

Display shaded custom maps.

Display a 3D terrain view.

Display a cache page.

Play Wherigo cartridges.

--Marky

Then I get the thing and it does half the job my 60CSx does? Why would you be satisfied? This product should have done what the 60CSx did and more.

Display a cache page.

Play Wherigo cartridges.

--Marky

and it does not automatic log data on the sd-card (.gpx) - with a new file every day (e.g. 20080102.gpx) :blink: This cut me to the quick.

Keep in mind that many of the reported "problems" are not necessarily problems or flaws at all. Many of the reports are simply un-met expectations. I think the unit itself is substantially exactly what Garmin has said it will be. It is unfortuate that some users cannot seem to draw the difference between a true issue and thier own un-met expectations of how they think it should work.

I admit that it has not quite lived up to my expectations but I seevery few promises in any Garmin litature that the unit cannot meet.

Are you serious? So the list of "issues" g.o.cachers has compiled through feedback from the forums is mostly a list of unmet expectations? I strongly disagree.

Silcone grease is what you need. I use to rebuild scuba gear, I understand water leaking in where it shoudn't very well.

So, I don't have any of this lying around. Where would I likely find it?

--Marky

Dive shop, Food prep (the use it on ice cream machines) stores, plumbing dept of some of the home repair stores.

Rmove the o-ring, apply it sparingly, you want a very think coat, best to put a small quanity (think paper match head size) in your fingers and rub all around it. You should see no build up of the silicone anyplace. The treated o-ring should have a "gloss" to it and no build up.

If you get dirt on the o-ring, remove it, wipe it and the mating surfaces on both pieces down with a paper towel, and then reapply.

I am curious, but maybe am just dumb, I just took the back off of my colorado 400t and dont see an actual "o-ring" Where are you suggesting you put the silicone on this unit?

** Nevermind, found it. I was being dumb.

I just got my 400t on Friday. Look for a report on my impressions so far in another post.

Note there are TWO o-rings that need a VERY LIGHT coating of silcone greese. One at the battery compartment, one at the SD card area. By light, think "sheen" rather than any clumps of any size.

Display a cache page.

Play Wherigo cartridges.

--Marky

function the way a $500 should!

Here's a few things the 60CSx does that the Colorado can't:

Put a symbol next to the waypoint name

Mark a cache as found

Sort waypoints by symbol

Welcome message

Everyone has seen 'the list'

None of the cool and new feautres mean anything to me if the basic functional properties that everyone loves about past units are not there.

function the way a $500 should!

Here's a few things the 60CSx does that the Colorado can't:

Put a symbol next to the waypoint name

Mark a cache as found

Sort waypoints by symbol

Welcome message

Everyone has seen 'the list'

None of the cool and new feautres mean anything to me if the basic functional properties that everyone loves about past units are not there.

Greetings, ConcreteInterface.

I hear and understand your frustration - but I don't quite share the same viewpoint. With regards to "function the way a $500 should" - I guess it's all relative. I just sank $91K into a new concrete foundation that doesn't SEEM to function any better than the one it replaced (in fact, in some cases, at least cosmetically - less).

So - if it's a matter of value: The Colorado does the basic functions of your 60-series, and is poised to replace your $500 Palm Tungsten C you lug around with CacheMate (oh, wait - that's me ;-).

You've listed a couple of the current shortcomings of the unit - and of course, there are more. However, you CAN sort POIs by type - to a level even greater than on a 60-series (for example, I can look at just "Solved Mystery Caches", not just ALL mystery caches). That's wicked cool, when out hunting solved puzzles.

At any rate - not sure how early of an adopter you were with the 60CS, or the 60CSx - but I had both, very early on in their lifecycle - and each had some pretty major flaws. My 60CSx would lock up completely, and require battery removal, every time I found a cache, went to navigate to the next, and then changed navigation from "off road" to "follow road". EVERY time. I had to adapt my use of the device to avoid that 'feature' -- until they fixed it in firmware.

As others have commented - if you're really dissatisfied with the unit, you always have the option of returning it, and spending your hard-earned cache on other things. As for me, I'm really enjoying the Colorado, even with its current shortcomings - and I know, from past experience, that it's just going to get better. I sure would go for (even just an incremental) firmware upgrade - but I guess they're trying to pack as many fixes as possible into the next release.

Just one guy's perspective,

Billy

Edited by SnoWake

and it does not automatic log data on the sd-card (.gpx) - with a new file every day (e.g. 20080102.gpx) :) This cut me to the quick.

Yes - this one really frustrated me, as well. You'll see that Anders attempted to explain the logic of how the CO saves tracklogs - actually, in several different threads, including this one. I'm still trying to wrap my head around what he's suggesting - but I share the opinion that the way the 60-series does it, generating a unique GPX file, by date - is a feature I'm anxious to see enabled in the Colorado. My reasons vary from pure archival (wonder where, exactly, I went on that day I took the high-speed train from Amsterdam to Paris and then cached my way around the city), to the functional: if I want to geotag photos I took last Tuesday, it sure it easy to go look for the 20080212.gpx file - rather than having to parse through the entire 'current' or archived tracklogs stored in the CO.

Yes, let's hear it for bringing this feature to the Colorado!

and it does not automatic log data on the sd-card (.gpx) - with a new file every day (e.g. 20080102.gpx) :) This cut me to the quick.

Yep, this is definitely something that the 60CSx does and the Colorado doesn't. I don't mind though, because when I bring in the track logs into MapSource, it splits them up nicely. Nicer, maybe. I don't know, since I don't have a 60CSx. Maybe the secret to loving the Colorado is not having a 60CSx. :D

Yep, this is definitely something that the 60CSx does and the Colorado doesn't. I don't mind though, because when I bring in the track logs into MapSource, it splits them up nicely. Nicer, maybe. I don't know, since I don't have a 60CSx. Maybe the secret to loving the Colorado is not having a 60CSx. :D

HAHAHAHA! Perhaps this is precisely the key. :)

What a dork I am - I haven't even tried pulling tracklogs into MapSource (I don't use that app for much other than pushing map sets, typically). I'll have to load the tracklogs into it, and see how they're parsed: Can you then save individual ones (which would still feel like a hassle, compared to the automated process on the 60CSx)? I'm just trying to figure out how I could pull a day or two's worth of tracklogs, for selective use, without having the whole set that's presumably buried inside "Current.GPX"?

More stuff to go try... thanks, Marky!

I'm just trying to figure out how I could pull a day or two's worth of tracklogs, for selective use, without having the whole set that's presumably buried inside "Current.GPX"?

MapSource splits them all up by date for you. Then you can do what you want with them. Seems pretty easy.

Didn't read through all the long replies, so this may be a repeat, but...

On a Windows computer, when you plug in your Colorado, one or two new mass-storage devices will show up. They 'look' just like a flash drive or other plug-in storage device.

The first one will be internal memory of the Colorado, the second will be the SD card you add. You can browse the contents of these devices and add / delete files (careful there) as needed.

The geocache GPX files are stored in Garmin > GPX directory in the internal memory. The wallpaper files are stored in the Garmin > Profiles directory. FYI -- you can make your own wallpaper as well -- any JPG sized 240 x 400 will work.

If you have have installed the Garmin Communicator software, you can click on the little icon to the far right of a cache listing on geocaching.com and it will fire up the Garmin Communicator software. The software will find your Colorado, and with one more click, upload the GPX file for the cache to the internal memory of the unit. These will be listed under the Geocaching shortcut and not the Waypoint shortcut. I haven't found a way to upload more than one at a time from the geocache listing. I have not tried doing a pocket query and uploading the file with the multiple listings either -- it may or may not work.

Once you find a cache, you can delete if from the GPS by browsing the Garmin > GPX directory and deleting the GCxxx.GPX file.

Just be sure to use the Windows feature to safely disconnect the storage devices before unplugging your unit from the PC.

Are you serious? So the list of "issues" g.o.cachers has compiled through feedback from the forums is mostly a list of unmet expectations? I strongly disagree.

Yes I am serious.

Where in any of Garmin's advertising or literature does it promise 90% of the "issues" mentioned should be features of the Colorado?? I'll save you the trouble of looking - Garmin never said it.

Anything and everything else is just missed expectations - not any flaw of the unit. I have unmet expectations, and a few genuine flaws that I hope are addressed soon. However, I am able to separate the two and be realistic that the actual falws will be worked on first and everything else will naturally be viewed by Garmin as feature requests.

The log archiving in the Colorado and Zumo has several advantages:

* Works without any card inserted.

* Doesn't create as many files to wade through as the 60 CSx does. This makes it easier to select the files for geotagging photos, as you have rather few files to select, without the need to know exactly which date to look for.

* Zumo splits tracks in natural segments, like start a new one when you start a new route.

* Zumo filters away meaningless noise, like when you where parked in your back yard for 30 minutes before leaving.

* Respects space required in memory for firmware upgrades etc.

* Stores over 20000 track points before automatic archiving ends.

I'm not sure if the Colorado does behave exactly like the Zumo, which is why I wrote Zumo in some lines above.

There appears to be a few who are supporting Garmin’s release of the Colorado series of GPSr as just a standard release of a new product with the usual problems associated with any new release, that the problems being reported for geocaching are unmet expectations and not flaws with the units. Here is what I know to be true. Flaws in mapping are a very real problem with the Colorado and a huge concern to Garmin because that goes far beyond just the geocaching world and has an impact on the main part of their business. Groundspeak is in a tough position because of the partnership they have with Garmin for the Colorado. Because of non-disclosure agreements between the two companies not a lot is being said by either about any of the issues. Also I can tell you that early on in the release of the Colorado that Groundspeak brought issues concerning geocaching funtionality to Garmin’s attention. I have no doubt that some of you speaking out in the forums are well aware of all of these things plus a lot more. I can say what I know because of talking to reps of Garmin and Groundspeak. The latest serious issue is now that we have lost 1 gb of memory from the 400 series units. If that is not a huge flaw, I don’t know what is. Is this related to the “G” and “M” chipset differences? Or is it something we have not heard about yet? Am I lucky to have two of the early units with the additional memory? Or are we just going to have to send them back for a hardware update soon and lose that memory? It has been nearly a month since the release of a firmware update. My fear in the beginning was that Garmin would not do a series of small updates but would hold off for large updates. Is this necessary to ensure that we get the best functioning? I don’t know but Garmin had updated firmware for units at the San Jose Meet and Greet. Someone made a statement in one of the forums that they hoped that Garmin had updates completed prior to Geowoodstock VI. I shuddered when I read that thinking there was no way that it would take that long. With every passing day I fear the worst. This event will be a defining moment for the Colorado IMHO because those of us traveling the distances involved will test the functionality and stability of the Colorado in a big way. Does the Colorado have an extremely short shelf life because of the release of the new Sirf chipset later this year? I don’t know that either but if Garmin is still working on updates this June the Colorado may have achieved the shortest shelf life in GPS history before new and better functionality is out there. My hope is that there are geocaching beta testers out there right now using the new updates and reporting back to Garmin and that we are very close to new firmware.

Hey Garmin, we would be more than happy to beta test for you ;):drama: and we have two 400 units to beta all the features with.

We will not know if we have unmet expectations with the Colorado series until Garmin Acknowledges that they have completed all updates and have a complete feature list. For those of you who tell me that the current manual represents all of the features of the Colorado I will respectfully disagree because I know that is not true at all. I will admit to one unmet expectation, I still want my welcome screen!! Please? :drama:

Who will do any beta-testing?

Anders, do do have any opportunity to tell a garmin guy, that we are still missing features from here:

http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/Issues+List

i am not sure if the programmers already know the link mentioned above.

Any feedback would be appreciated :drama:

I am still waiting to buy the unit because there are so many functions, i am missing from the gpsmap60CSX/Vista HCX

The manual is a short-form one, indeed.

Maybe the people at Garmin thought that there were many things wished for in the next update, so they are now trying to get as much as possible as correct as possible? Which takes some time, of course.

The engineers at Garmin are well aware of this site. As always, it's one thing what they want to do, another what resources allow in a finite amount of time.

Edited by apersson850

Anders, do do have any opportunity to tell a garmin guy, that we are still missing features from here:

I am still waiting to buy the unit because there are so many functions, i am missing from the gpsmap60CSX/Vista HCX

I have to assume (I know) that garmin is looking at the FAQ. I know they are looking at the survey I have been working on, and in fact received a reply from Garmin. It addresses some of the issues. You can read a copy at:

Garmin Colorado User Survey Responses and Garmins Reply

Enter your responses to the survey:

Garmin Colorado Owners Survey

I have to assume (I know) that garmin is looking at the FAQ. I know they are looking at the survey I have been working on, and in fact received a reply from Garmin. It addresses some of the issues. You can read a copy at:

Garmin Colorado User Survey Responses and Garmins Reply

Enter your responses to the survey:

Garmin Colorado Owners Survey

There is nothing new in Garmin's response to your survey that has not been said a number of times to those who have contacted them directly. Thank you for your efforts though, it is one more way Garmin is hearing what its customers have to say.

Next, to get some sort of icons to display on the map - you can create waypoints in a variety of ways. As you mentioned, you can load a GPX file in MapSource, and then send the waypoints to the unit. Alternatively, you can use GSAK and a special macro to generate "waypoint only" GPX files (the won't load as geocaches, but rather, as waypoints - this is how MapSource works under the covers, as well.

I assume there still is the 1000-point limit in all kinds of files in Garmin, and no file manager in device to switch the used file on the field. How can I overcome it? Do I now need to choose: Colorado+laptop or a Magellan? :o

This is not a problem for regular geocaching trips from home, but is for driving across a country/state without knowing the precise route and doing some ad-hoc caching on the way. I wouldn't like to stop every now and then to boot up the laptop just to change the waypoint/GPX file in use...

In some other thread, someone determined that the Colorado can read a geocache file from a card, so at least in theory, you can have more than one SD-card, with caches on them, for different areas.

When the next firmware is available to you, you'll have the geocaches displayed on the map (says those who have spoken to Garmin's representatives at the meets - and it seems likely), so the waypoint file limit is then no longer any issue. Only the max number of allowed caches will be.

In some other thread, someone determined that the Colorado can read a geocache file from a card, so at least in theory, you can have more than one SD-card, with caches on them, for different areas.

When the next firmware is available to you, you'll have the geocaches displayed on the map (says those who have spoken to Garmin's representatives at the meets - and it seems likely), so the waypoint file limit is then no longer any issue. Only the max number of allowed caches will be.

My main point was, that it's OK to limit the number of items per file, but not OK to limit the number of files, if you have capacity on the SD card or wherever. So, 1000 in use at any time but it should be possible to change to another 1000-point file on the go.

I agree.

They don't need a full-fledged file manager, but if you can select which geocaching file(s) to use, like you select which maps to use, then that would be sufficient.

Has to be able to handle that you can have a number of small files as well...

That's exactly what I mean! Selecting the current waymark or GPX file from a set of many would be enough. Further managing of the files (adding, removing, ...) could be done with an assisting computer. It shouldn't be difficult to implement, just a few lines of code I guess. That very small change would enable us to carry as many geocaches in the device as we want. I wonder why it hasn't been implemented already with earlier Garmin models?

I agree.

They don't need a full-fledged file manager, but if you can select which geocaching file(s) to use, like you select which maps to use, then that would be sufficient.

Has to be able to handle that you can have a number of small files as well...

That's the method the eXplorist used (although it does have a pretty nice file manager as well). You could only have one active geocache file and one active waypoint file. Those were the ones whose icons showed on the map. However, you could do nearest searches on other files without having them active, which was handy.

--Marky

Colorado 400t Ver. 2.40 as of Feb 18, 2008 <----- Just posted!

Changes from version 2.30 to version 2.40:

Improved acquisition time in certain circumstances.

Improved power on time.

Improved backlight support.

Improved support for NiMH batteries.

Improved Wherigo player.

Added ability to show and review geocaches on the map.

Added ability to log geocaches as found.

Increased maximum geocache count to 2000.

Added support for BlueChart currents.

Added ability to view extended information for custom POI's.

Added ability for turn preview beep to reset the backlight timeout.

Corrected map to display road labels.

Corrected map to display small towns.

Corrected map to not change orientation when beginning pan mode.

Corrected metric nautical setting to display appropriate map scale.

Support for Colorado Field Notes, at geocaching.com.

Changes from version 2.20 to version 2.30:

Added ability to turn off the compass.

Alarm clock will not change your backlight if it is already on.

Low battery warning now shows on powerup when appropriate.

Improved DEM shading with supplemental maps.

Fixed marine colors for depth soundings and active track.

Added ability to view extended chart information and chart notes.

Improved Share Wirelessly connection.

Changes from version 2.10 to version 2.20:

Fixed potential shutdown when using partially discharged alkaline batteries and significant amounts of backlight.

Improved backlight usability.

Corrected potential memory leak on altimeter page.

Corrected issue that changed map setting to north up if reviewing a point on the map.

Changed the automotive view angle to match automotive products.

Added ability to exit compass calibration if calibration fails.

Improved performance and error handling of Share Wirelessly application.

Corrected tone of route turn warnings.

Added height and depth information on review pages if the information is available (related to marine maps).

Corrected drawing of spot soundings.

Improved drawing of satellite imagery in 400i and 400c.

Improved drawing of BlueChart g2Vision maps.

Here is the URL for the proper page since you may not yet see the link from the normal route:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3887

Edited by LifeOnEdge!

Colorado 400t Ver. 2.40 as of Feb 18, 2008 <----- Just posted!

Changes from version 2.30 to version 2.40:

Improved acquisition time in certain circumstances.

Improved power on time.

Improved backlight support.

Improved support for NiMH batteries.

Improved Wherigo player.

Added ability to show and review geocaches on the map.

Added ability to log geocaches as found.

Increased maximum geocache count to 2000.

Added support for BlueChart currents.

Added ability to view extended information for custom POI's.

Added ability for turn preview beep to reset the backlight timeout.

Corrected map to display road labels.

Corrected map to display small towns.

Corrected map to not change orientation when beginning pan mode.

Corrected metric nautical setting to display appropriate map scale.

Support for Colorado Field Notes, at geocaching.com.

Changes from version 2.20 to version 2.30:

Added ability to turn off the compass.

Alarm clock will not change your backlight if it is already on.

Low battery warning now shows on powerup when appropriate.

Improved DEM shading with supplemental maps.

Fixed marine colors for depth soundings and active track.

Added ability to view extended chart information and chart notes.

Improved Share Wirelessly connection.

Changes from version 2.10 to version 2.20:

Fixed potential shutdown when using partially discharged alkaline batteries and significant amounts of backlight.

Improved backlight usability.

Corrected potential memory leak on altimeter page.

Corrected issue that changed map setting to north up if reviewing a point on the map.

Changed the automotive view angle to match automotive products.

Added ability to exit compass calibration if calibration fails.

Improved performance and error handling of Share Wirelessly application.

Corrected tone of route turn warnings.

Added height and depth information on review pages if the information is available (related to marine maps).

Corrected drawing of spot soundings.

Improved drawing of satellite imagery in 400i and 400c.

Improved drawing of BlueChart g2Vision maps.

Here is the URL for the proper page since you may not yet see the link from the normal route:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3887

Tried it yesterday on my 300, and the device changed from an unusable brick to a piece of art :D

Geocaching support is now quite OK. Haven't yet dared to go out with it, but "kitchen table"

testing shows some serious improvement in GPX parsing performance. Also seeing the caches

on the map, being able to log them as found, etc. are features that should have been there from

the beginning. Also Scandinavic letters in cache descriptions display properly ;)

The only simple thing that I'm still missing is the ability to select the GPX file in use, so that I could have more

than 2000 caches with me (prevents manual work and unnecessarily careful planning in the age of cheap SD cards).

Edited by tr1976
The only simple thing that I'm still missing is the ability to select the GPX file in use, so that I could have more

than 2000 caches with me (prevents manual work and unnecessarily careful planning in the age of cheap SD cards).

As mentioned elsewhere, a workaround is to put 2000 Geocaches on multiple SD cards. You just put in the SD card that you want to use. Kind of a lame work around, but a functional work around it is.

--Marky

Edited by Marky

As mentioned elsewhere, a workaround is to put 2000 Geocaches on multiple SD cards. You just put in the SD card that you want to use. Kind of a lame work around, but a functional work around it is.

No offense, but people keep citing this (being able to select a <2000 cache GPX file to use) as some sort of a solution. To me, it sounds like the same kind of kludgery I was hoping to avoid in moving from a GPSr-and-PDA to just GPSr. It's like the iPod. I wasn't happy until I got the 160G model that could store my entire music library. Anything less is work, sorting what you want to have with you at any particular time. I just hope we're not suggesting to Garmin that this limit is just fine.

I just hope we're not suggesting to Garmin that this limit is just fine.

To me, a workaround is what you do until the problem is fixed. I wasn't implying that there wasn't a problem, I was just passing on information so people might be able to get by for now until the issue is addressed. :)

--Marky