Garmin Colorado firmware upates, when?

CelticDave

After watching the forums and checking daily through the webupdater I decided to call Garmin today for myself to see what tech supprt would have to say about firmware updates. I was not all that surprised by the answer. There is no lead time and the engineers let tech support know the morning that an update will be made available. This part was new for me though as I don't think there was any lead time when the first update was done. I was told that Garmin is still in the information gathering stage, and that they are still taking information from customers to identify problems with the units. Hmmmmm I kinda thought most of the problems had been reported and were already being addressed. Groundspeak has to be getting frustrated as well. After all this partnership between Garmin and Groundspeak was an important part of the development of the Colorado, right? I just don't understand the lack of information coming out of Garmin about the issues surrounding the release of the Colorado. I would like to see an acknowledgement of problems and a timeline of solultions rather than: "Keep watching the blog for announcements about new firmware upgrades. These free and easy downloads are courtesy of our engineers, who never stop making a good thing better". Come on guys what is really going on here?

I just don't understand the lack of information coming out of Garmin about the issues surrounding the release of the Colorado.

Garmin is running a business, so why would you expect them to release incomplete information to an outside source? It's just not going to happen. I'm glad I didn't buy the BETA Colorado that's out now, but instead bought a completed GPSr. Let them know how you feel with your Wallet, that's more important than anything to a business. I'll get one in a couple years when you guys have finished BETA testing it for me :lol:

Keep in mind that many of the reported "problems" are not necessarily problems or flaws at all. Many of the reports are simply un-met expectations. I think the unit itself is substantially exactly what Garmin has said it will be. It is unfortuate that some users cannot seem to draw the difference between a true issue and thier own un-met expectations of how they think it should work.

I admit that it has not quite lived up to my expectations but I seevery few promises in any Garmin litature that the unit cannot meet.

StarBrand makes a good point. There's a difference between a bug fix and a feature enhancement. I suspect they are getting the list together and then prioritizing the list. I would like to believe that bug fixes are top priority followed by high demand feature enhancements.

While Customer Service may not know the target date for a release I can assure you that Marketing and Engineering do have a date in mind. Whether they can get all the changes in by that date remains to be seen. It's quite possible that some of the "bugs" may be hardware related which means that turn around on new chips is going to take a lot longer than simply rewriting some code.

So in the mean time we get to sit around and wait and post messages on the forums. :lol:

I'm not letting the current shortcomings stop me from going out and having fun with my Colorado. I can get it to do everything I need it to, and it does a lot of things no other handheld GPS does, so I'm very happy with it.

--Marky

I have to agree as well. I am new to this and looked at others and decided on the Colorado for the following reasons.

1. Paperless - I like this idea, its cool to have it all available without printing.

2. Nice form factor. I like the shape and feel.

3. Was only 100.00 more than the second choice (60xxx)

4. Appears to be very unpalatable, and I am sure they will do so. The last update was on the 22nd of Jan..

I read all the FAQ's here as well as many other reviews that while agreeing that some of the things listed here are missing, most are just different, and were outside expectations.

I am sure they will do more, and I am sure they will add new features as they go along. It is in their best interest to make their new flagship the best it can be. AS long as it gets me to where I want to go Iw ill be more than happy to wait for some of the mentioned enhancements.

I would rather wait a few months while they take the time to do it right and test it well. I am a software engineer by trade and I am very sensitive to the need and benefit of proper testing.

It will be interesting to watch the direction that this thread takes. As one who owns two 400t units and has had the opportunity to discuss problems with Garmin reps in person I can say that there are bugs that have been acknowledged. It is also interesting to note the opinions of those who have not purchased a Colorado. Don't get me wrong, I like the Colorado and use it daily so I can say that. I would like to see Garmin support the Colorado on their web site with some FAQs and other help for those of us who own them. I will not apologize for believing that Garmin should be more forthcoming with information about a product they have released into the public marketplace. I also know that Garmin folks read these forums and it is just one way I get to vent and know they will read what I have to say.

I'm not letting the current shortcomings stop me from going out and having fun with my Colorado. I can get it to do everything I need it to, and it does a lot of things no other handheld GPS does, so I'm very happy with it.

--Marky

I have to agree as well. I am new to this and looked at others and decided on the Colorado for the following reasons.

<SNIP>

4. Appears to be very unpalatable, and I am sure they will do so. The last update was on the 22nd of Jan..

This last reason has me scratching my head, could you paraphrase please?

Norm

After watching the forums and checking daily through the webupdater I decided to call Garmin today for myself to see what tech supprt would have to say about firmware updates. I was not all that surprised by the answer. There is no lead time and the engineers let tech support know the morning that an update will be made available. This part was new for me though as I don't think there was any lead time when the first update was done. I was told that Garmin is still in the information gathering stage, and that they are still taking information from customers to identify problems with the units. Hmmmmm I kinda thought most of the problems had been reported and were already being addressed. Groundspeak has to be getting frustrated as well. After all this partnership between Garmin and Groundspeak was an important part of the development of the Colorado, right? I just don't understand the lack of information coming out of Garmin about the issues surrounding the release of the Colorado. I would like to see an acknowledgement of problems and a timeline of solultions rather than: "Keep watching the blog for announcements about new firmware upgrades. These free and easy downloads are courtesy of our engineers, who never stop making a good thing better". Come on guys what is really going on here?

I e-mailed Garmin the results of the survey today. I plan to e-mail them every day that I have new results. I don't know if they are getting to he correct people yet, but am not stopping. If you have a contact with Garmin, please let me know, via a PM. Yes, I am a garmin owner, and even a 400t owner. (due 2/15)

I paid a premium price, so I can return it if garmin fails to make it right. That premium was around $100 extra, but right now I consider it an insurance policy. Sad that I felt I had to take a $100 hit, (*Yes, it was my choice) But so far, I have been mostly happy with all of the Garmin products I own.

Edited by 4America

Keep in mind that many of the reported "problems" are not necessarily problems or flaws at all. Many of the reports are simply un-met expectations. I think the unit itself is substantially exactly what Garmin has said it will be. It is unfortuate that some users cannot seem to draw the difference between a true issue and thier own un-met expectations of how they think it should work.

I admit that it has not quite lived up to my expectations but I seevery few promises in any Garmin litature that the unit cannot meet.

Come on SB. Stop making excuses for Garmin. Garmin is a big boy and does not need you blowing wind up their back side while singing their praises. (Blowing and singing at the same time is quite the talent at which you seem quite adept.)

There are plenty of "problems" with the initial release. I think you'd find it hard to get any Garmin designers, testers, or executives to say the Colorado was released "bug free" and/or that the model is currently functioning as designed. The reports from the Garmin/Groundspeak events indicate Garmin freely admits to "problems" that will be addressed in future updates. Either those who attended the events and reported back to us in these forums are lying and the Colorado is perfect in it's current form or they are truthfully reporting the facts and there are indeed problems. I find it hard to believe that the reports found in these forums are anything less than full and honest disclosure intended to keep us informed. Are you saying those who reported back to us were lying?

There is a whole laundry list of core functionality issues and an ever growing list of un-met expectations. Some are minor and some are quite significant. The first firmware updates and the chip-set change are early attempts to get a handle on some of the issues. Garmin never released a full manual for the Colorado and has not even come out with a list of features. Therefore, nobody but the designers can truly say if the unit is functioning as designed or expected.

In Garmin’s own words, the Colorado “…is designed for the people who are serious about getting out there (and) finding adventure…” The Colorado is “rugged and waterproof to IPX7 standards,…..and (has) the ability to wirelessly exchange user routes, tracks, waypoints and geocaches with other select Garmin devices.”

The advertised screen shots show features and detail not currently reported by anyone using the Colorado. The limited manual has a few examples of their own screen shots. Good luck trying to reproduce those looks.. IMHO, the Colorado is currently a glorified, repackaged, retooled, and overpriced Nuvi. For those “serious about getting out there,” it falls short as released. The work-arounds documented in these forums allow you a peek at the Colorado’s full potential, but that potential will not be fully appreciated until the problems and issues have been addressed.

Time and effort on the part of Garmin will afford us the opportunity to look back at the initial release with true perspective. When that day arrives, and I hope it arrives soon, the Colorado will be a powerful, serious, fully functioning, and innovative piece of equipment.

BTW, saying something is "substantially exactly" as advertised makes no sense. It is either exactly as advertised or it is something less than advertised. Substantially is somewhat less than exactly. Therefore, the terms are in opposition to each other and should not be used together.

End rant. Continue with the love fest. FLOWER POWER and please pass the brownies!!

Edited by 3 Hawks

Come on SB. Stop making excuses for Garmin. Garmin is a big boy and does not need you blowing wind up their back side while singing their praises. (Blowing and singing at the same time is quite the talent at which you seem quite adept.)

There are plenty of "problems" with the initial release. I think you'd find it hard to get any Garmin designers, testers, or executives to say the Colorado was released "bug free" and/or that the model is currently functioning as designed. The reports from the Garmin/Groundspeak events indicate Garmin freely admits to "problems" that will be addressed in future updates. Either those who attended the events and reported back to us in these forums are lying and the Colorado is perfect in it's current form or they are truthfully reporting the facts and there are indeed problems. I find it hard to believe that the reports found in these forums are anything less than full and honest disclosure intended to keep us informed. Are you saying those who reported back to us were lying?

There is a whole laundry list of core functionality issues and an ever growing list of un-met expectations. Some are minor and some are quite significant. The first firmware updates and the chip-set change are early attempts to get a handle on some of the issues. Garmin never released a full manual for the Colorado and has not even come out with a list of features. Therefore, nobody but the designers can truly say if the unit is functioning as designed or expected.

In Garmin’s own words, the Colorado “…is designed for the people who are serious about getting out there (and) finding adventure…” The Colorado is “rugged and waterproof to IPX7 standards,…..and (has) the ability to wirelessly exchange user routes, tracks, waypoints and geocaches with other select Garmin devices.”

The advertised screen shots show features and detail not currently reported by anyone using the Colorado. The limited manual has a few examples of their own screen shots. Good luck trying to reproduce those looks.. IMHO, the Colorado is currently a glorified, repackaged, retooled, and overpriced Nuvi. For those “serious about getting out there,” it falls short as released. The work-arounds documented in these forums allow you a peek at the Colorado’s full potential, but that potential will not be fully appreciated until the problems and issues have been addressed.

Time and effort on the part of Garmin will afford us the opportunity to look back at the initial release with true perspective. When that day arrives, and I hope it arrives soon, the Colorado will be a powerful, serious, fully functioning, and innovative piece of equipment.

BTW, saying something is "substantially exactly" as advertised makes no sense. It is either exactly as advertised or it is something less than advertised. Substantially is somewhat less than exactly. Therefore, the terms are in opposition to each other and should not be used together.

End rant. Continue with the love fest. FLOWER POWER and please pass the brownies!!

I'm afraid the above usage of "substantially" falls within the bounds of context!

sub·stan·tial [suhb-stan-shuhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective

1. of ample or considerable amount, quantity, size, etc.: a substantial sum of money.

2. of a corporeal or material nature; tangible; real.

3. of solid character or quality; firm, stout, or strong: a substantial physique.

4. basic or essential; fundamental: two stories in substantial agreement.

5. wealthy or influential: one of the substantial men of the town.

6. of real worth, value, or effect: substantial reasons.

7. pertaining to the substance, matter, or material of a thing.

8. of or pertaining to the essence of a thing; essential, material, or important.

9. being a substance; having independent existence.

10. Philosophy. pertaining to or of the nature of substance rather than an accident or attribute.

–noun

11. something substantial.

[Origin: 1300–50; ME substancial < LL substantiālis, equiv. to L substanti(a) substance + -ālis -al1]

—Related forms

sub·stan·ti·al·i·ty, sub·stan·tial·ness, noun

sub·stan·tial·ly, adverb

—Synonyms 3. stable, sound. 6. valid, important.

—Antonyms 2. immaterial, ethereal.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)

Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This

sub·stan·tial (səb-stān'shəl) Pronunciation Key

adj.

Of, relating to, or having substance; material.

True or real; not imaginary.

Solidly built; strong.

Ample; sustaining: a substantial breakfast.

Considerable in importance, value, degree, amount, or extent: won by a substantial margin.

Possessing wealth or property; well-to-do.

n.

An essential. Often used in the plural.

A solid thing. Often used in the plural.

[Middle English substancial, from Old French substantiel, from Latin substantiālis, from substantia, substance; see substance.]

sub·stan'ti·al'i·ty (-shē-āl'ĭ-tē), sub·stan'tial·ness (-shəl-nĭs) n., sub·stan'tial·ly adv.

(Download Now or Buy the Book)

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

Copyright © 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

WordNet - Cite This Source - Share This

substantially

adverb

1. to a great extent or degree; "I'm afraid the film was well over budget"; "painting the room white made it seem considerably (or substantially) larger"; "the house has fallen considerably in value"; "the price went up substantially" [syn: well]

2. in a strong substantial way; "the house was substantially built"

WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University.

--Marky

<SNIP>

This last reason has me scratching my head, could you paraphrase please?

Norm

I think it was supposed to be "very updatable".

I'm afraid the above usage of "substantially" falls within the bounds of context!

sub·stan·tial [suhb-stan-shuhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective

1. of ample or considerable amount, quantity, size, etc.: a substantial sum of money.

2. of a corporeal or material nature; tangible; real.

3. of solid character or quality; firm, stout, or strong: a substantial physique.

4. basic or essential; fundamental: two stories in substantial agreement.

5. wealthy or influential: one of the substantial men of the town.

6. of real worth, value, or effect: substantial reasons.

7. pertaining to the substance, matter, or material of a thing.

8. of or pertaining to the essence of a thing; essential, material, or important.

9. being a substance; having independent existence.

10. Philosophy. pertaining to or of the nature of substance rather than an accident or attribute.

–noun

11. something substantial.

[Origin: 1300–50; ME substancial < LL substantiālis, equiv. to L substanti(a) substance + -ālis -al1]

—Related forms

sub·stan·ti·al·i·ty, sub·stan·tial·ness, noun

sub·stan·tial·ly, adverb

—Synonyms 3. stable, sound. 6. valid, important.

—Antonyms 2. immaterial, ethereal.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)

Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This

sub·stan·tial (səb-stān'shəl) Pronunciation Key

adj.

Of, relating to, or having substance; material.

True or real; not imaginary.

Solidly built; strong.

Ample; sustaining: a substantial breakfast.

Considerable in importance, value, degree, amount, or extent: won by a substantial margin.

Possessing wealth or property; well-to-do.

n.

An essential. Often used in the plural.

A solid thing. Often used in the plural.

[Middle English substancial, from Old French substantiel, from Latin substantiālis, from substantia, substance; see substance.]

sub·stan'ti·al'i·ty (-shē-āl'ĭ-tē), sub·stan'tial·ness (-shəl-nĭs) n., sub·stan'tial·ly adv.

(Download Now or Buy the Book)

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

Copyright © 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

WordNet - Cite This Source - Share This

substantially

adverb

1. to a great extent or degree; "I'm afraid the film was well over budget"; "painting the room white made it seem considerably (or substantially) larger"; "the house has fallen considerably in value"; "the price went up substantially" [syn: well]

2. in a strong substantial way; "the house was substantially built"

WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University.

We don't need anyone starting this crap again. I thought we were over that. We are here to discuss GPS.. get over it!

Edited by Didjerrydo

Gee thanks RRLover for the definition of substantial. Why not just make it "nearly mostly substantially exactly?" Why don't you go talk to any middle school English teacher about the many reasons why "substantially" and "exactly" should not be used together?

Substantially and exactly are both adverbs and when you have two adverbs together, the first adverb refers to the extent or degree of the second. In this context, substantially is used as a comparative adverb and modifies the extent or degree of “exactly.” There is only one degree of "exactly" and it is absolute. Therefore, it is not in need of modification. Many of the degree and extent synonyms of substantially are listed as antonyms of exactly. Therefore, “substantially” and “exactly” are not in absolute agreement and should not be used together.

The point of my initial rant was to illustrate how some would rather walk around making excuses for Garmin instead of accepting there are issues with the Colorado. The Colorado is intended for "serious" users. Therefore, it needs to deliver serious performance without "work-arounds" or performance compromises.

There are only two degrees on this issue. Either the Colorado has no problems or the Colorado has problems. If the Colorado was released with all intended functions working, then Garmin needs to find some new designers and engineers. I'll give Garmin the benefit of the doubt on this one by accepting there are issues they will be fixing in short order. IMHO, the Colorado is a concept devise that was prematurely released before it was fully fleshed-out.

If you were heading into the Amazon jungle for one week, would you want the Colorado (in initial release form) as your only handheld GPSr or would you rather go with another model? You can only bring one unit.

Hey Garmin......How about full disclosure of the specs and intended functions and when will you be publishing a real manual?

I know that this is a geocahing forum, and I am an occasional geocahcher, but I would argue that "the people who are serious about getting out there (and) finding adventure…” like myself are happy with the Colorado. I use my Colorado to get me where I'm going, and get me back alive. This may be climbing to the summit of Mt Rainier, or a 100 mile backpack through the Rockies. For these "serious adventures" the Colorado has worked as well as my old 60csx which I lost. Most of the complaints about the Colorado are focused on playing a game (a fun game) but, not serious adventure. So the next time you're 30 feet from your car complaining about the cache description not coming up fast enough, think about that guy who is at 17,000ft on Denali in a whiteout who's life depends on his Colorado showing him the way back to safety. Is he happy with his Colorado, or is he just sucking up to Garmin? I can thank Garmin for probably saving my life in the past, and if that's sucking up then they deserve it.

If you were heading into the Amazon jungle for one week, would you want the Colorado (in initial release form) as your only handheld GPSr or would you rather go with another model? You can only bring one unit.

To do what?

To geocache? Yes, I'd take the Colorado over my 60CSx so I don't have to take me PDA with me.

To "find my way around"? Either model would do.

Whatever unit I take or activity I'd be involved with, I'd bring lots of batteries..

I know that this is a geocahing forum, and I am an occasional geocahcher, but I would argue that "the people who are serious about getting out there (and) finding adventure…” like myself are happy with the Colorado. I use my Colorado to get me where I'm going, and get me back alive. This may be climbing to the summit of Mt Rainier, or a 100 mile backpack through the Rockies. For these "serious adventures" the Colorado has worked as well as my old 60csx which I lost. Most of the complaints about the Colorado are focused on playing a game (a fun game) but, not serious adventure. So the next time you're 30 feet from your car complaining about the cache description not coming up fast enough, think about that guy who is at 17,000ft on Denali in a whiteout who's life depends on his Colorado showing him the way back to safety. Is he happy with his Colorado, or is he just sucking up to Garmin? I can thank Garmin for probably saving my life in the past, and if that's sucking up then they deserve it.

Have you used your Colorado on Mt. Rainier, or on a 100 mile backpack through the Rockies? I am thinking of the guy 17,000ft up Denali would need a dedicated Sherpa just to carry all of the batteries unless he plans on sprinting up and down the thing in a few short hours.

I guess the short battery life issue, the IPX7 issue, and the screen wash-out/lock-up issues in the cold would not be potential problems to someone whose life depends on the reliable performance of their Colorado.

Regarding “the game;” these forums are centered around geocaching. The Colorado has a “Geocaching” mode. Enhanced Geocaching functionality is mentioned in their advertisements. Excuse me for pointing out the geocaching related issues in the context of these forums.

BTW, I despise pandering. I just call things as I see them.

To do what?

To geocache? Yes, I'd take the Colorado over my 60CSx so I don't have to take me PDA with me.

To "find my way around"? Either model would do.

Whatever unit I take or activity I'd be involved with, I'd bring lots of batteries..

I doubt there are many geocaches in the heart of the Amazon. Lets say you are there on a humanitarian mission or on a search for the cure for cancer.

So the IPX7 issue in the rain forest would not be of any concern? Then again, it was a loaded question since an experienced explorer would only employ tested and proven equipment. They would never put their life, or the life of their party, on the back of a new piece of equipment.

"Have you used your Colorado on Mt. Rainier, or on a 100 mile backpack through the Rockies?"

Since I've only had my Colorado for three weeks, I have only used it climbing Mt St Helens and Mt Hood. On Mt hood I didn't make the summit because of bad weather but at 6F air temperature with lithium batteries I got 27 hours of use. Since lithiums are pretty light carrying 8 extra is no big deal. With the batteries in the unit that gives me about 125 hours (5 days) of continuous run time. My unit has never locked up.

I have removed my o rings and coated them with grease, and tested the unit underwater in the sink for 10 minutes while operating with no problem. O rings on hard plastic will never seal correctly without grease. The only thing that surprised me is that they didn't send grease with the unit.

And yes every team on Denali has a GPS, it's part of the required gear package, and in a whiteout you bet your life on it. The Colorado hasn't been proven there yet, but you'll find a very high percentage of 60csx units up there so I won't be surprised to see some Colorados this season. A couple ounces of lithiums will last the entire expedition. BTW no one uses Sherpas on Denali since Sherpas live in the foothills of the Himalayas :)

And you are correct, geocaching is one of the modes on the unit, and a very important one. I was just referring to the quote that geocaching = serious adventure. I wouldn't call geocahing a serious adventure, I'd call it a fun game in the outdoors.

I agree with dopoka, this unit requires a broader view than simply its geocaching abilities. I understand this is a geocaching website, but this particular subforum also happens to be the most active forum on the internet regarding handheld GPS's in general.

dopoka, is petroleum jelly an adequate sealant in your opinion, or is there a superior product?

"Have you used your Colorado on Mt. Rainier, or on a 100 mile backpack through the Rockies?"

Since I've only had my Colorado for three weeks, I have only used it climbing Mt St Helens and Mt Hood. On Mt hood I didn't make the summit because of bad weather but at 6F air temperature with lithium batteries I got 27 hours of use. Since lithiums are pretty light carrying 8 extra is no big deal. With the batteries in the unit that gives me about 125 hours (5 days) of continuous run time. My unit has never locked up.

I have removed my o rings and coated them with grease, and tested the unit underwater in the sink for 10 minutes while operating with no problem. O rings on hard plastic will never seal correctly without grease. The only thing that surprised me is that they didn't send grease with the unit.

And yes every team on Denali has a GPS, it's part of the required gear package, and in a whiteout you bet your life on it. The Colorado hasn't been proven there yet, but you'll find a very high percentage of 60csx units up there so I won't be surprised to see some Colorados this season. A couple ounces of lithiums will last the entire expedition. BTW no one uses Sherpas on Denali since Sherpas live in the foothills of the Himalayas :)

And you are correct, geocaching is one of the modes on the unit, and a very important one. I was just referring to the quote that geocaching = serious adventure. I wouldn't call geocahing a serious adventure, I'd call it a fun game in the outdoors.

I'm glad to hear you obtained 27 hours of run life off of one pair of lithiums. However, this is outside the specs of the unit and I've not heard of any other users who have been able to obtain anything close to that even under static conditions in their home. However, I've obtained that kind of performance with my Vista HXc in the field.

I was pointing out the fact that the Colorado advertises to geocachers. My quotes came directly from a Garmin advertisement. If the Colorado does not yet measure up to the expected standards, then we are obligated to point out the problems. If Garmin felt we were happy, there would be no incentive to fix the problems. Additionally, serious adventure and geocaching can and do coexist. There are many caches that could easily take the life of the unprepared.

I agree with dopoka, this unit requires a broader view than simply its geocaching abilities. I understand this is a geocaching website, but this particular subforum also happens to be the most active forum on the internet regarding handheld GPS's in general.

dopoka, is petroleum jelly an adequate sealant in your opinion, or is there a superior product?

None of this really matters anyway. The next chip generation is ready for use and Garmin's cross-over will be released later in the year. Save up for Christmas. Garmin was forced to release the Colorado before the market window closed.

I'm glad to hear you obtained 27 hours of run life off of one pair of lithiums. However, this is outside the specs of the unit and I've not heard of any other users who have been able to obtain anything close to that even under static conditions in their home.

All of the real world lithium usage experiences I've seen mentioned are around the 24+ range. This seems to be pretty consistent. It does seem that there are some units that don't get good battery life (possibly Type G chips?), but I get more than 12 hours with my 2000mAh Eneloops. That seems decent to me. Exactly what poor battery life are you referring to? I'd say, if it isn't performing up to those that seem to be getting decent battery life, I'd return your unit and get a new one.

--Marky

I stand by my assesment of the unit made above. Hard for me to complain and gripe about something that is substantially exactly what it was promised to be by the manufacturer. It is not exact and does have a few issues but nothing serious in my opinion.

I REALLY do like it a lot. My only concern is with the lack of a "mark as found"/"goto next" geocaching feature. But I never have seen anything from Garmin that promised it would exist. So that is a letdown of my expectations - not a flaw.

I have been getting about 16 hours out of standard Energizer batteries with no use of the backlight - I've no complaints there.

"is petroleum jelly an adequate sealant in your opinion, or is there a superior product?"

I think petroleum jelly is fine. I used to use it on o rings in pool pumps all the time and it worked great. The grease I am referring to is a silicone grease. I actually just purchased a Petzl Duo Headlamp rated to IPX7 and it came with the silicone grease and instructions that stated the o ring in the battery compartment needed to be re-greased every time it was opened to maintain IPX7 spec. Also you have to coat the entire o ring. Just smearing grease on the top is not enough. I remove the o ring, coat it, and then replace it on the unit.

I hate to add to the fray but Dopoka, you really should not come into geocaching forum and tell geocachers that their hobby is less than any other. When you have a few more than "One" find, granted it was a 3/3, you will find there are some grand adventures out there that would challenge ANY adventurer if they so choose. Look up a few 5/5 caches and tell me they are just "a fun game in the outdoors" you will have earned a little more respect from geocachers once you have found a few of those. And before you look a my profile, I only have one 5 terrain rating cache find. There will be more because the beauty of geocaching is that I can choose an LPC or a challenging hike Chasing tupperware in the woods. End of rant, this is how I spend my time waiting for firmware updates :)

I'm glad to hear you obtained 27 hours of run life off of one pair of lithiums. However, this is outside the specs of the unit and I've not heard of any other users who have been able to obtain anything close to that even under static conditions in their home.

All of the real world lithium usage experiences I've seen mentioned are around the 24+ range. This seems to be pretty consistent. It does seem that there are some units that don't get good battery life (possibly Type G chips?), but I get more than 12 hours with my 2000mAh Eneloops. That seems decent to me. Exactly what poor battery life are you referring to? I'd say, if it isn't performing up to those that seem to be getting decent battery life, I'd return your unit and get a new one.

--Marky

The reported specs on battery life are only 15 hours. There are a few threads that go into battery life and battery related performance issues in painful detail. Many are geting under 10 hours of battery life regardless of type, setting, or enabled features. Some get as few as 2 to 5 hours under static conditions. Then again, there are some who have the same problem with the Vista HCx. However, mine does not have that problem. Some say Colorado's first firmware updates increased their battery life, some say it had no effect. It appears to be a bit of a crap shoot when it comes to battery life.

I give up. There is no point arguing with you guys about this since the Colorado is nearly perfect in every possible way. I wonder what you guys will say about the initial release in 6 months???? Hmmmm..........

"hate to add to the fray but Dopoka, you really should not come into geocaching forum and tell geocachers that their hobby is less than any other. When you have a few more than "One" find, granted it was a 3/3, you will find there are some grand adventures out there that would challenge ANY adventurer if they so choose. Look up a few 5/5 caches and tell me they are just "a fun game in the outdoors" you will have earned a little more respect from geocachers once you have found a few of those. And before you look a my profile, I only have one 5 terrain rating cache find. There will be more because the beauty of geocaching is that I can choose an LPC or a challenging hike Chasing tupperware in the woods. End of rant, this is how I spend my time waiting for firmware updates"

I am not trying to put down geocachers. I have probably found 30-40 caches, I just never felt the need to log them after I found them. Some people enjoy finding the cache, and some people enjoy logging their finds for others to see. Probably a competitive vs. noncompetitive thing. I'm not competing with anyone, I just like to find a cache when I'm on a hike. So I see no reason to let everyone else know that I found it.

I have found several 5 terrain rated caches. Lots of fun. I'm not minimizing the difficulty of these hikes, but they just don't qualify as serious adventure in my book. Then again some people think walking 5 minutes in the park is serious adventure so maybe I'm wrong. IMHO serious adventure means 70lb pack, muti-day, ropes, crampons, and some nasty dehydrated food....you get the idea. Maybe we need to create a new category for technical caches.

Just trying to point out that it works great for some stuff.

I wonder what you guys will say about the initial release in 6 months???? Hmmmm..........

Not sure what you mean. I went down the day the Colorado was released and bought one and I haven't regretted it once. I did the same thing for the Triton 2000, except with the Triton there was quite a bit of regret... For me, the Colorado is completely functional and is just a joy to use. The Triton is another story and the only reason I haven't returned it yet is that I promised to beta test some firmware updates. I've used mine for about 40 hours of actual use, all geocaching. Have you used a Colorado while out geocaching, or are you just going by what you read in the forums? I'm sure some people might not like it as much as their previous GPS, but that's not the case with me.

--Marky

I give up. There is no point arguing with you guys about this since the Colorado is nearly perfect in every possible way.

Finally! I never thought that the Adjudicator would give up.

Why can't you accept that some people are happy with their Colorado? Uhhh, never mind, sorry, you gave up.

I wonder what you guys will say about the initial release in 6 months???? Hmmmm..........

I'll ya in 6 months ( unless I can get Doc Brown to lend me the Delorean, :) ).

How can I determine what firmware is installed. I have run webupdater and it finds no updates, yet, I dont recall it updating the firmware ever, it did update the chip.

I couldn't find a manual download either.

2.30 firmware 2.60 chipset update, one runs through updater the other is a download

How can I determine what firmware is installed. I have run webupdater and it finds no updates, yet, I dont recall it updating the firmware ever, it did update the chip.

I couldn't find a manual download either.

2.30 firmware 2.60 chipset update, one runs through updater the other is a download

I should have answered both parts setup, system, (left softkey)software version

Silcone grease is what you need. I use to rebuild scuba gear, I understand water leaking in where it shoudn't very well.

So, I don't have any of this lying around. Where would I likely find it?

--Marky

Dive shop, Food prep (the use it on ice cream machines) stores, plumbing dept of some of the home repair stores.

Rmove the o-ring, apply it sparingly, you want a very think coat, best to put a small quanity (think paper match head size) in your fingers and rub all around it. You should see no build up of the silicone anyplace. The treated o-ring should have a "gloss" to it and no build up.

If you get dirt on the o-ring, remove it, wipe it and the mating surfaces on both pieces down with a paper towel, and then reapply.

Silcone grease is what you need. I use to rebuild scuba gear, I understand water leaking in where it shoudn't very well.

--Marky

Dive shop, Food prep (the use it on ice cream machines) stores, plumbing dept of some of the home repair stores.

Rmove the o-ring, apply it sparingly, you want a very think coat, best to put a small quanity (think paper match head size) in your fingers and rub all around it. You should see no build up of the silicone anyplace. The treated o-ring should have a "gloss" to it and no build up.

If you get dirt on the o-ring, remove it, wipe it and the mating surfaces on both pieces down with a paper towel, and then reapply.

Good info, thanks!

I just don't understand the lack of information coming out of Garmin about the issues surrounding the release of the Colorado.

Garmin is running a business, so why would you expect them to release incomplete information to an outside source? It's just not going to happen. I'm glad I didn't buy the BETA Colorado that's out now, but instead bought a completed GPSr. Let them know how you feel with your Wallet, that's more important than anything to a business. I'll get one in a couple years when you guys have finished BETA testing it for me :laughing:

I'm just curious. Are YOU currently Beta Testing the GPSmap 60 or the eTrex Vista HCx ?

--Marky

... R(e)move the o-ring, apply it sparingly, you want a very think coat, best to put a small quanity (think paper match head size) in your fingers and rub all around it. You should see no build up of the silicone anyplace. The treated o-ring should have a "gloss" to it and no build up.

Would you mind editing your post or reposting and checking your spelling before you post please? (I'm teaching my African Grey this phrase as I type.)

Do you mean THIN or THICK? Think is ambiguous.

I'm just curious. Are YOU currently Beta Testing the GPSmap 60 or the eTrex Vista HCx ?

I think that quote was meant for me, I'm not BETA testing anything.

Of course that post was meant for you. Your post was the one I quoted, hence ...

What GPS unit(s) are you using?

Actually you quoted 2 posts.

--Marky

Good God People (not you Marky),

Marky is on the mark here.

1) If you're not happy, take it back. If you didn't buy it at REI, I'm so sorry!

2) RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES -- Buy some. Use them. Get to know your new GPS. Max those babies and start on the next pair. In the meantime, get some precharged NiMHs and do the same with them (maximizing the peak voltage takes fewer cycles than with the old technology NiMH batteries.)

I am SO TIRED of hearing all the complaints about battery life, workmanship, and design of the Colorado units. If you're not happy, go get your $500 or $600 back and pay down your credit card!

How many times does this need to be said?

I think that quote was meant for me, I'm not BETA testing anything.

Of course that post was meant for you. Your post was the one I quoted, hence ...

What GPS unit(s) are you using?

Actually you quoted 2 posts.

I quoted YOUR post which included the post you were responding to.

In my last post(with you), is it confusing who I am addressing: you or talking to myself?

And the answer is???

Edited by LifeOnEdge!