Caching blonde moments

yatesDELTA

Yesterday me and my mate spent a hour or so doing a local multi cache- passage to Silkingrad( http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ed-d00ec726ba4c ). We got to Stevenage old town and read the cache sheet thorougly. I then entered the co-ords for the first clue into my GPSr and it took us to a carpark. Without thinking that the clues are plaques on the sides of buildings i started looking at the parking signs etc. After 20 mins i got out my sheet again and realised i ahd infact entered the co-ords for parking location

For some reason my mate didnt think this was very funny at all. I still cant believe how much a non blonde can act so...... well blonde actually

any similar stupid attacks?

I once arrived at ground zero, took my pack off and laid it down. Searched for a half hour and came up empty.

Gave up, picked up my pack to leave and the cache was under it.

I had a very simular problem, I was looking for a micro in the woods, in the winter with snowshoes . i tripped over a branch and fell right infront of a hole in a tree exactly when my GPS said i was ontop of the cache. after looking in the tree for about 5 min i got up to find the cache in the inprint in the snow. a squirrel must have pushed the cache out of his hole and i happen to fall right on top of it.

I was doing a round of caches in some open space at night. This next one on my list had a reputation for being unique and lots of DNFs. I'd been told the coords were pretty accurate so I put my GPSr on the ground so it would settle down. After 20 minutes of searching through the brush and trees on the hillside I called a friend for a life line. I'm on the phone with him for about 5 minutes and I give up - the cache must be gone. I'm just hanging up when I pick up my GPSr and there's the cache; covered by my GPSr which was reading 0ft when I picked it up.

Edited by cataclysmcow

One time, I was searching for a cache with my uncle in the parking lot of a local grocery store. In front of the parking lot was a grassy area with giant rocks scattered about. The cache page said it was a micro cache, but that was it. We were looking around the rocks, and looking in all of the cracks.

Eventually we found one boulder that had a smaller rock leading against it. I assumed that the person who placed the cache hid it underneath the boulder and covered it up with the smaller rock, so I picked up the smaller rock and looked underneath the boulder. My uncle, meanwhile, said he found the cache. When I asked where, he told me to look at the rock, and on the bottom of the rock was a hole that had the film canister in it.

D'oh!

hahah

my good buddy beast 101 and i were after a first to find on a local cache.

we go and find that it is hidden among many many large peices of cement, these piles are common along the buffalo bayou here.

so we search for about an hour when i finally said "lets ride down to the restaurant down the road, eat and come back later." so beast 101 gets frustrated and picks up the nearest rock and flings it down into the bayou.

he looks down and there's the cache right under where the rock he just threw was.

unbeleivable.

We were doing a multi cache once. We found the first coordinates and were on to the second, found them right away. When I opened up the container there was only one slip of paper inside which had just a half of a full coordinates. So Brad started putting N coordinates in, and left the W the same, figuring that is what the owner intended. I had the sheet and was looking at the clue for the final stage which had me pretty certain of where to search for it. But the coordinates showed it directly east of where we were standing into a deep ravine. Nothing in the description mentioned this just "stage 3 is a short walk from stage 2" I was thinking we were wrong, but Brad was insistent that's where we should go. Stupidly I had worn sandals that day because we were doing many urban caches. There was no way I could climb down that ravine. He said there were trails and started off down one, but they looked more like hobo trails to me, not official ones.

I walked over to where I thought the cache should be and looked- no luck. Brad is now carefully climbing down the ravine with the GPSr. I keep yelling to him- I don't think its down there!!!! Finally I make him come back up, and I got back to stage 2, thinking maybe we missed something. Low and behold there laying on the ground was the other half of the coordinates!! They had fallen when I opened the cache container!!! We'd almost ruined the multi for ourselves and future cachers! D'oh!! We entered the second half, replaced the full set of coordinates as intended :lol: , and went right to stage 3- located where I had thought it would be- we looked a little harder and found it! It was a close call!

Edited by bradnlinds

At one cache description the previous cacher left a DNF with a note: "I found a piece of bark covering a hole in a tree, but there was no cache in the hole". He should have paid more attention to the bark - the micro was attached to the underside.

One time I was caching with my niece who was more interested in sending text messages than helping me look for a box of trinkets. As I searched all over, she sat down on a log. After about ten minutes she looked down and realized she was sitting on the cache.

I will give up someone else's blonde moment. Last week I revisited a cache I had previously found to drop off a traveler. The condition of the container had deteriorated and it needed to be replaced, so I emailed the owner. He doesn't appear to be a very active cacher at this time, so I offered to take care of it or adopt the cache. He declined and said he would take care of it over the weekend.

Yesterday I got an email: "I can't find my cache, are you sure it's still there?" ;)

I went up again today to flag it and take a photo for him. ;)

After reading about Viajero Perdido's blonde moment above, I'll make his day and confess that I had his cache "Outside The Box" in my hand for almost a minute before I realized what it was. I won't spoil the cache by describing it, but it's along the same lines as the rock or the piece of bark, and I was too busy looking at where it had been to look in my hand.

But our worst blonde moment (more like a senior moment, in our case) was a cache called "Pants on Fire" which we now know is a "liar's cache". We had no idea such a thing existed, and although we knew the logs were exaggerations, because there was a prize for telling the best tall tale, it never occurred to us that the cache description itself was also a lie. So even though we stood within a few inches of the cache container, we were looking for a gaping chasm in the ground down which we were supposed to climb to retrieve the cache, listed as a 3/4 cache, and didn't see the very easy 1/1 cache right in front of us. And we spent a long time looking, because we're not only gullible but we're stubborn! It was only after we posted our dnf that the very kind owner took pity on us and sent us a nice email to clue us in. Argh!

Was trying to get my wife interesting in caching, so I got the video, which she watched, then took her on a few local caches I knew.

Finally, it was her turn to do one. I had previously looked at the sat photo, so I knew where the cache should be. The sat photo was a bit old, so there was parking lots and light poles where the photo showed fields. Anywho we get to the general area and I give Mama the sheet with the coordinates and let her key them in. Once done, I let her tell me where to drive.

She directs me way across the parking lot to the other side and says 'its here'. I asked what distance, and she has this confused look on her face. I take a look at the GPS and it shows the cache is several thousand miles away. She had mis-entered the coordinates, which was of course, my fault.

Glad we have a GPS that has geocaching built in -- I download the GPX files and she takes over from there.