Garmin 400T Startup help!

KD6QZX

I am due to have my 400T delivered this morning, I have read all of the posts I can find on this new unit. I have owned the III+, V, 7200, 478, and 60CS.

My request is for help on this new format of the Colorado unit. I have read some posts of users backing up the units data (Maps, POI and such) so as not to lose it while doing updates.

What is the process to do the backup and what must be saved?????

I as well wonder about the discussion on the base data from the 300 being more detailed in world maps vs the data of the 400 series. Could we obtain a copy of the map data from a 300 and put it into the 400 series, since we can save and possibley corupt or erase base data???

I am due to have my 400T delivered this morning, I have read all of the posts I can find on this new unit. I have owned the III+, V, 7200, 478, and 60CS.

My request is for help on this new format of the Colorado unit. I have read some posts of users backing up the units data (Maps, POI and such) so as not to lose it while doing updates.

What is the process to do the backup and what must be saved?????

I as well wonder about the discussion on the base data from the 300 being more detailed in world maps vs the data of the 400 series. Could we obtain a copy of the map data from a 300 and put it into the 400 series, since we can save and possibley corupt or erase base data???

If you have a PC, I installed the Garmin software CD stuff to make sure I had the latest "drivers". Then I connected the unit to my PC and the Garmin unit will go into "mass storage date" mode where it's "memory" will show up as a removable disk drive and it's even labeled "Garmin". Just copy the entire "drive" directory structure (folders and files) to an area on your hard drive. That's it. You can also then copy the hard drive area to a DVD for additional safety/backup.

It will take awhile to copy as it is near 3GB of data counting the Topo map stuff.

pasayten_pete

Thankd for the back-Up info.

I have now done this and I am trying to get my old list of waypoints to go to the new colorado unit. Ihave saved them as a .GPX file and opened the "drive" of Garmin on my computer. I have pasted a copy of the waypoint file on an SD disc in the unit, safely disconected it and then power up the GPS. I went to waypoints in the menu and all that is there is the facotry 3 garmin locations. I then reconected the gps to the computer and saved the file in garmin-gpx-profiles as described in the owners manual. again upon repowering it up, all I can find is the factory 3 waypoints.

I want to add my National Parks TOPOs as well but I am missing somthing here and cant get the unit to locate any added data.

Just a COLORADO NUB..... Please help me!