error - uploading maps to the eTrex unit

xoslic89

I could not find any solution for my strange problem with the mapsource - unit communication

I own eTrex Vista HCx, ver. 2.60 - lates firmware, mapsource with the latest version - dec. 07.

I am constantly receiving an error message from my Mapsource after building and attempting to send the mapset to the unit: " The map set has approximately 1645MB, but there is only 1980MB in the destination /meaning 1GB microSD/, Please select fewer maps and try again" - which apparently does not make any sense since there is an empty 1GB card. When uploading smaller map sets, say up to 100MB, works fine...

I tried:

changing data card - didnt fix it /

upgrading firmware + mapsource to the latest - didn fix it

SD micro card formating - didnt fix it

Garmin recommends master reset - ?? have not tried it yet

Loading the map using card reader -going to try this

Did anyone here encounter this kind of problem.. any hints, tips.?

cheers

I could not find any solution for my strange problem with the mapsource - unit communication

I own eTrex Vista HCx, ver. 2.60 - lates firmware, mapsource with the latest version - dec. 07.

I am constantly receiving an error message from my Mapsource after building and attempting to send the mapset to the unit: " The map set has approximately 1645MB, but there is only 1980MB in the destination /meaning 1GB microSD/, Please select fewer maps and try again" - which apparently does not make any sense since there is an empty 1GB card. When uploading smaller map sets, say up to 100MB, works fine...

I tried:

changing data card - didnt fix it /

upgrading firmware + mapsource to the latest - didn fix it

SD micro card formating - didnt fix it

Garmin recommends master reset - ?? have not tried it yet

Loading the map using card reader -going to try this

Did anyone here encounter this kind of problem.. any hints, tips.?

cheers

Hmm. First thing, what is the size of the card? You mention that in the error it says there is 1980MB available, yet you also say it's a 1GB card. A 1GB card would only have about 980 MB or so. If it's a 2GB card, then I'm not sure.

xoslic89,

The error message is confusing. You are definitely trying to load approximately a 1.6GB file, it states there is 2GB available but mentions only a 1GB microSD. Do you have a 1GB or 2GB miroSD in your Vista? If you are only using a 1GB microSD then that is the problem if you are using a 2GB card and have a reader available make sure it is formated correctly and there is over 1.6GB available. If everything is correct then try the master reset since the GPSr is not reporting back the correct information to your computer.