GPS 60csx Software - what to do?

Bonaro

Santa brought me a 60csx and now I am about to buy topo software for it.

Mapsource 2008 is a little expensive but I can get a mapsource topo v 3.07 for about 1/3 the cost.

My question is: Is the 08 version enough of a upgrade to justify paying 3x that if the older version?

Are there any other topo software packs out there I should consider?

Thanks!

Santa brought me a 60csx and now I am about to buy topo software for it.

Mapsource 2008 is a little expensive but I can get a mapsource topo v 3.07 for about 1/3 the cost.

My question is: Is the 08 version enough of a upgrade to justify paying 3x that if the older version?

Thanks!

I'd say it's not much better and not worth extra 2/3rd of the price. One big advantage of TOPO 2008 is DEM shading data, but 60csx cannot utilize it anyway. You might consider buying TOPO 24k maps, they cover selected natl parks and frequently hiked areas of the country and they are great if you happen to hike in the area they cover.

There are differences, but for my money I tend to buy previous-generation software at a bargain price. YMMV.

Hard question to answer if we don't know what you are going to be doing with the unit. I run MGv8 in my 60cx.

There are differences, but for my money I tend to buy previous-generation software at a bargain price. YMMV.

Hard question to answer if we don't know what you are going to be doing with the unit. I run MGv8 in my 60cx.

I mostly do general backcountry navigation on forest roads. However, when I hunt I tend to wander waaay off the beaten path and let the gps take me back. I also like to search for old mines and such by entering coordinates and following the gps arrow. I need high detail topo and coverage in national forest lands.

I dont think the 24K will work for me because it will not cover many of the areas I like to go.

Is the scale on the older mapsource the same as 2008? 1:100,000?

I would donate a body part if I could get washington state on 7.5 minute quad maps for the gps...

If you really want 7 1/2 minute quads you could return the 60CSx and buy a DeLorme PN-20.

<Is the scale on the older mapsource the same as 2008? 1:100,000?> yes

As you can see from the 60CSx, GPS screens are about 2 inches square. You will likely want printed quads as well...I sure do.

Edited by PerryB2

I would donate a body part if I could get washington state on 7.5 minute quad maps for the gps...

Colorado and Wyoming already exist at this scale. Someone made them, not perfect but pretty cool. I'm sort of working on Arizona but if you can find a GIS clearinghouse for your state with all the data I would need I would totally do your state first as a learning experience. Finding a reliable set of data appears to be the hardest part. Especially hiking trails.