How many caches do you own?

VWDave

We have hidden/adopted 21 caches and held 2 events, I plan on placing 1 this year. This is in line with what I feel we can properly maintain. While we have a dozen or so containers made up, some even filled, there have been a hugh number of caches placed near us that we will save them for maintenance runs or for that special location.

I have placed 139 caches and held one event. One cache hasn't been Reviewed yet, and I have a couple of caches still Disabled due to the wildfires that raged through the area last fall. I try to respond promptly if cachers report a problem with a cache, but most of my caches don't get found very frequently because of where they are located.

236 with 218 active, several maintained by family/friends in another state. I used to have as many hides as finds, then half as many, but now I feel pretty saturated and pick new hides more carefully (because I know I have to maintain them). I normally average 2 evenings a week after work and maybe 2 lunchtimes each week doing maintenance runs. My weekends are usually spent playing. I feel if I own them, it's my responsibility to maintain them. The thing I like is the ones I hid during the infancy stages of my GC addiction seem a little tame now so when they go missing or need maintenance, I often work out new camo or a little new twist to improve the overall quality of the area caches.

Some people love 'em.... some people hate 'em.... I like it that way. :lol:

50 with 43 or so active. I had to inactivate 6 due to the icy buildup. I may find a better place for those in the Spring so that they can all stay active. I'd like to maintain a round 50--any more and I'd be unable to keep up. Any less, and I'd be bored.

Edited by meralgia

I have 25 caches palced since August 2007. #26 is coming out tomorrow. Only one is archived. Quite the variety as well. No traditional LPC from me - if it is an LPC - there is a creative puzzle associated to it. Keeps urban caching challenging.

LPC = Light Pole Cache for those not familiar with the acronym.

let's all put out caches for others to enjoy - not just inflate the numbers.

I have 19, of which 14 are active. My goal is to hide one for each 100 that I find, so I'm ahead of myself because I'm at 1781 as of this writing.

As long as I can maintain them, I'll keep hiding them. I want my 20th cache to be different than some of my usual hides. I don't know what yet.

Hiding is as much fun as finding. I only have 2 now but ideas for hundreds.
Actually I think hiding (and reading the logs later) is more fun then finding. :lol: If I didn't think that I don't think I'd be babysitting my 236 hides.

Love the cartoon on your forum name, MY BUTT HURTS. WHAT? hehehehe

Edited by infiniteMPG

How many caches hidden are enough, or to many? How many do some of you have hidden. I have about 33, 3 of witch are out of state but maintained. I have plans to put about 10 more out in the next few months.

I would like to know the average amount of time that most geocachers take preparing a container, the web page, and the overall hide? I've found caches by people that have a ton of them and have gotten the impression that they took a maximum of 10 seconds to get an average reading for their coordinate.

To me it's not a matter of how many you have, it's what you have taken the time to create.

my first hide was rather pathetic (but the spot was a gem). I was at work itching to get it out and riffled through my desk drawer. Found two huge glue sticks... and STOLE THEM... considering how much of my personal time I give to work on a weekly basis, I'm sure I paid for them a few times over.

Anyway, I had brought the black cloth tape and my GPS with me to work, cammo'ed it quick and added a log book. Had to put a piece of paper around the perimeter of the glue stick container because of the residue. And unfortunately the "stick" down the middle of the glue stick prevented any swag options.

Needless to say, I've swapped out the container for a better-cammo'ed one and am looking forward to replacing the other of my eager-to-put-it-out-and-poorly-done caches. With winter brings more free time indoors to make properly cammo'ed and more interesting containers!!

I would like to know the average amount of time that most geocachers take preparing a container, the web page, and the overall hide? I've found caches by people that have a ton of them and have gotten the impression that they took a maximum of 10 seconds to get an average reading for their coordinate.

Hard to say. I will usually prepare a bunch of containers at a time. I have a shelf full of ammo boxes, Lock n Locks of various sizes and some other containers like soda bottle preforms, matchboxes, Nalgene straight jars and Nalgene water bottles all painted up and ready to go.

I also have a large box filled to the brim with cache swag. All kinds and sizes of stuff.

So when I decide to place a cache I grab the appropriate container, fill it with swag, add some pencils and the appropriate sized logbook and I'm ready to go. The actual assembly takes maybe 5 minutes.

The web page takes me about 2 minutes to fill out, unless there is something unusual about the hide.

As for the coordinates, I'd say it takes about a minute to obtain good coordinates as long as the signal is solid.

none but am trying to adopt 2 from an inactive,hesitant cacher in the area. Another question I was wondering about is why would anybody have 400+ caches with only about 200 active? seems to be a lot of geo-trashing going on if things get placed and archived continuously.

Color edit mine. That is exactly what I hope if NOT going on.

-it

to me hiding is a lot more fun then finding.

I agree!! I find that making (containers and puzzles) is a lot more satisfying that finding. When I used to play hide-and-seek I would always want to be the one to hide, on rooftops and in trees and so on. Around here in NE Iowa there's a not a lot of great back country so I have to make up for the lack of scenery with special containers and puzzles to find them.

-it

Edited by Iowa Tom

to me hiding is a lot more fun then finding.

I agree!! I find that making (containers and puzzles) is a lot more satisfying that finding. When I used to play hide-and-seek I would always want to be the one to hide, on rooftops and in trees and so on. Around here in NE Iowa there's a not a lot of great back country so I have to make up for the lack of scenery with special containers and puzzles to find them.

-it

great comments!

IMO as many as you want to provided you will keep them maintained and keep in mind keep them maintained even if you stop caching. I get really aggravatted when i pull up my local map to see all my smilies and my hides and then all the ones i havent found because they are disabled! Most of which have been that way for over 4 and 5 months and then i look to see that their owners havent even logged in in 6 months. I have 13 hidden and plan on hiding quite a few more. And on top of that we have a guy that just started in december and found over 200 and hid over 50 and counting and i am so glad to see it as those are more i get to find without driving too far.