small stuffed animasl as TBs?

petalene

I have noticed that a lot of TBs go missing. I like to crochet, so I was thinking about crocheting some small bug stuffed animals to use as a TB. I can make them pretty quickly and cheaply so I will not be heartbroken if they disappear. I would not have thought that stuffed animals would have worked until I cam across a small Beanie Baby one that looked like it was holding up fine as it was in a plastic baggie. I have not been caching for very long and would love to hear some opinions about my idea. Thanks for any help.

I should have clarified. I do not mean a full sized stuffed animal. I mean something that is no bigger than 2 or 3 inches maximum. I have a few I have made that are this size and they fit in my pocket fine. I am more concerned about them getting wet and dirty and gross if not sealed back in the baggie properly. What I should have asked is has anyone encountered some stuffed animal TBs that have traveled long distances and still looked good or do they look wet dirty and gross?

I have noticed that a lot of TBs go missing. I like to crochet, so I was thinking about crocheting some small bug stuffed animals to use as a TB. I can make them pretty quickly and cheaply so I will not be heartbroken if they disappear. I would not have thought that stuffed animals would have worked until I cam across a small Beanie Baby one that looked like it was holding up fine as it was in a plastic baggie. I have not been caching for very long and would love to hear some opinions about my idea. Thanks for any help.

I have moved a couple of small, stuffed animal TBs. I think they are fine, especially if in a plastic bag. On the other hand, the rule of thumb is that "the cuter the TB, the more likely it is to disappear". But if you don't mind this possibility, then go for it! :anibad:

What I should have asked is has anyone encountered some stuffed animal TBs that have traveled long distances and still looked good or do they look wet dirty and gross?

Yep, we've picked up dozens of them that were in good shape. Most were in plastic baggies, but quite a few of them weren't, and yet were still doing okay. (When dropping off unbagged ones, we always look for ammo cans to make sure they stay dry.)

There was one that we picked up that had a few icky spots on it. It was called "Pink Dog", and was owned by a three-year-old boy whose "older sisters have convinced him that pink the very best color." When we find bugs owned by little kids, we try to take some fun pictures for them. Here's our multi-pic log showing the cleanup process for "Pink Dog". :lol:

There was one that we picked up that had a few icky spots on it. It was called "Pink Dog", and was owned by a three-year-old boy whose "older sisters have convinced him that pink the very best color." When we find bugs owned by little kids, we try to take some fun pictures for them. Here's our multi-pic log showing the cleanup process for "Pink Dog". :lol:

That is the cutest thing I have seen in a while... :)

Over the years, I have picked up a few stuffed animal TBs - they seem to hold up just fine. I would put it in a plastic bag...

There was one that we picked up that had a few icky spots on it. It was called "Pink Dog", and was owned by a three-year-old boy whose "older sisters have convinced him that pink the very best color." When we find bugs owned by little kids, we try to take some fun pictures for them. Here's our multi-pic log showing the cleanup process for "Pink Dog". :)

Nice! Great set of photos of a great clean up. :lol:

Definitely use a good zip-bag when you send a TB out. One of our TBs ended up in a cache with a broken bottle of perfume, and later in a waterlogged cache, so he probably doesn't smell so good now. I wish I'd thought to put him in a baggie. But maybe the fact that he's not as cute as he once was, and is a bit stinky, is the reason he's still traveling, because the cute TBs do seem to disappear first.

Here is our stuffed animal TB. He seems to be in fine shape. He has a travel buddy and a laminated mission statement attached to him after the picture was taken. He was also sealed in a zip lock freezer bag (they are thicker) He is now in Australia awaiting placement in a cache. Sydney

He has been traveling since May 2007.

Edited by Team FIREBOY

What I should have asked is has anyone encountered some stuffed animal TBs that have traveled long distances and still looked good or do they look wet dirty and gross?

Yep, we've picked up dozens of them that were in good shape. Most were in plastic baggies, but quite a few of them weren't, and yet were still doing okay. (When dropping off unbagged ones, we always look for ammo cans to make sure they stay dry.)

There was one that we picked up that had a few icky spots on it. It was called "Pink Dog", and was owned by a three-year-old boy whose "older sisters have convinced him that pink the very best color." When we find bugs owned by little kids, we try to take some fun pictures for them. Here's our multi-pic log showing the cleanup process for "Pink Dog". :anicute:

What a nice thing to do - cleaning up the little boy's TB dog. And to document it in a way the child would understand. That sure is going the extra mile and being a Geo-friend!

I found one in January from Holland and it had been broken. I brought the couple home and patched them up (gluing them together) - gave them a new padded home (a bubble bag) and have sent them on their way. Sent photos home too.

Geo-friends are the best.

There was one that we picked up that had a few icky spots on it. It was called "Pink Dog", and was owned by a three-year-old boy whose "older sisters have convinced him that pink the very best color." When we find bugs owned by little kids, we try to take some fun pictures for them. Here's our multi-pic log showing the cleanup process for "Pink Dog". :D

What a nice thing to do - cleaning up the little boy's TB dog. And to document it in a way the child would understand. That sure is going the extra mile and being a Geo-friend!

I found one in January from Holland and it had been broken. I brought the couple home and patched them up (gluing them together) - gave them a new padded home (a bubble bag) and have sent them on their way. Sent photos home too.

Geo-friends are the best.

I too have washed a stuffed animal toy and retagged him and placed him in a new ziplock bag.- TB4344

The pix above are great....LOL