What about active code - java, javascript, flash?

widdi

Hi

I tried to find something with some searches in the forum - but the topics I found, dealed with other topics.

My question is:

The guidelines say:

>> In the interest of file security, caches that require the downloading, installing or running of data and/or

>> executables may not be published.

Now - what does this mean to a cache listing?

Are java-tools or javascript-tools or flash-tools allowed in a listing?

Sometimes you see counter on a cachelisting. But what about "bigger" applications or java-applets?

Are they in agreement with the guidelines?

I think, applets and flash aren't allowed. Javascript like counters are ok and should be provided by Groundspeak itself. Other code from third party servers should be filtered.

thanks for answers.

Hi

I tried to find something with some searches in the forum - but the topics I found, dealed with other topics.

My question is:

The guidelines say:

>> In the interest of file security, caches that require the downloading, installing or running of data and/or

>> executables may not be published.

Now - what does this mean to a cache listing?

Are java-tools or javascript-tools or flash-tools allowed in a listing?

Sometimes you see counter on a cachelisting. But what about "bigger" applications or java-applets?

Are they in agreement with the guidelines?

I think, applets and flash aren't allowed. Javascript like counters are ok and should be provided by Groundspeak itself. Other code from third party servers should be filtered.

thanks for answers.

Call me curious... Have you come across any listings which contained "java-tools or javascript-tools or flash-tools" or java-applets? Or were you planning on publishing a listing which would contain any of these?

I can see where a nice cache hider could use these tools to create an really nice, enhanced experience. I can also see where a malicous coder could use java-applets to do harm to a site visitors computer. Although the enhanced experience would be nice, in the interest of security, I think we should just stick with HTML.

Just my $0.02. Keep the change. :anibad:

Also some of these are not platform independent, using some of these client side executed programs would limit the accessibility to the listing to a certain operating system. I would expect this would also not be a good thing.

// Tapio

Edited by OH2TH

Call me curious... Have you come across any listings which contained "java-tools or javascript-tools or flash-tools" or java-applets? …

here we are:

Sprungtor Witten (TB und GC 5* Hotel) (GC189FR) by LordShelmchen (2/1)

Rettet Agent Smith (Nachtcache) (GC1866D) by chris_rocks31 (3/3)

Nicht noch ein Bahnhofs-Cache... (GC17G7M) by chris_rocks31 (1,5/1,5)

A2 bei Henrichenburg -> Oberhausen (GC13ZXX) by Michako (1/1)

TB-Hotel - Airport Düsseldorf - DUS StopOver (GC193BP) by -jha- (1/1,5)

Unter allen Wipfeln ist Ruh´ (GC15ZKR) by Pedalritter (1/1,5)

Barenborg (GC13596) by Pedalritter (1,5/1,5)

Ehrenmal Wolbeck (GC185WG) by Team Blaubär (1/1)

Altes Freibad (GC135A9) by Pedalritter (1/1,5)

Kreuzung (TB Hotel) (GCZEX4) by awema (1,5/2)

Mühlengeist (GC14A0R) by awema (1/2)

Zweischneidiges Andenken (GC16GW8) by patchworkerx (1/1)

09-HH "Wo bin ich?" (GC17CFR) by ageta (1,5/1,5)

TT11 - Blau-Gold (GCZK0Y) by ageta (1/1,5)

Heimat und Sachkundeunterricht 1: Engerling (GC1914Y) by Der wahre Eumel (2/2,5)

Wildes Moor (GCVMZQ) by ageta (1/1)

Lord of Elbing (GC18NJR) by chipkrieger (2,5/1,5)

KGV Glashuette (GCVN7D) by ageta (1,5/1,5)

Formel verloren (GC11BK0) by ageta (2,5/1,5)

Pastorpark Nr.2 (GC18HHY) by ageta (2/1,5)

happy code cleaning. :anibad:

edit: erased corrected caches.

Edited by HHL

Javascript like counters are ok and should be provided by Groundspeak itself.

Most counters do not use client-side javascript. They're just images created on the fly by the remote server, which is tracking requests.

sure - but included scripts can harm a system. You know that there exist exploits, that aren't harmless. A counter is nothing to discuss. This should be possible - I'm talking about "bigger" things, that should be prevented

Call me curious... Have you come across any listings which contained "java-tools or javascript-tools or flash-tools" or java-applets? Or were you planning on publishing a listing which would contain any of these?

No - not me. I'm fighting against. see HHL's posting.. others do so

My opinion is:

all active code from third party servers have to be filtered. Groundspeak should provide easy scripts like counters itself. All other code should be forbidden or filtered.

I have not the desire to get damage code via "cross-site-scripting"

I followed a few of the links in the above list. Each one took me to a cache page that had a java applet for a geocache rating site. Java applets are not permitted on cache pages.

I am guessing that this code was added to the cache pages post-publication. A quick note to one of your friendly volunteer cache reviewers should lead to the removal of the impermissible code.

Call me curious... Have you come across any listings which contained "java-tools or javascript-tools or flash-tools" or java-applets? …

here we are:

<<< list of caches >>>

Wow. I didn't think you could do that without the website stripping out the embedded code. Also, I wonder why a java applet is even needed in this case, when you could use a dynamically generated image that links to a page where you can cast a vote.

Oh, and I inadvertently voted on a cache while I was checking out one of those links. :lol:

Either they will be stripped out automatically by HTML Tidy,

IMHO it would be a good idea to remove everything except plain text and pictures in jpg format.

I don't necessarily agree with being that aggresive. I use HTML to create a nice and interesting layout for my cache pages. I don't include any third-party code or scripting, just plain HTML.

I can agree with stripping out/filtering third-party scripts, java, flash,etc for the protection of the site visitors computers, but their is nothing really harmful with plain old HTML.

I fully understand and agree that these things (flash, java, etc.) should not be allowed to be embedded in cache pages. Geocaching.com is not a web site host service, so these things should not be expected. However, if I wanted to make flash, java, or whatever a requirement to find a cache, can I just provide a link to my web page on the cache page? (I have my own web server :lol: ). Or is this still violating the requirement because potential cachers would need to have the flash player, or some other browser plugin installed?

I fully understand and agree that these things (flash, java, etc.) should not be allowed to be embedded in cache pages. Geocaching.com is not a web site host service, so these things should not be expected. However, if I wanted to make flash, java, or whatever a requirement to find a cache, can I just provide a link to my web page on the cache page? (I have my own web server :lol: ). Or is this still violating the requirement because potential cachers would need to have the flash player, or some other browser plugin installed?

I'm no expert, but that situation is OK as I had asked, in person, our local reviewer that question a couple years ago, even before the statements in the Cache Placement Guidelines were written.

But, don't force people to load some specialty software such as an Enigma decoder, or a special sound processing program that's not available from millions of places. Those are a no-no.

As the guidelines state, "There is no precedent for placing caches...".

And violations of stuff being added to a cache page after a publication will slowly be weeded out when the reviewers, or TPTB, ever see it or are informed of it. And other, now not allowed, things like active html will be weeded out whenever the cache owner edits his cache page and HTMLTidy gets a chance to see the cache.

these caches should be SBAed until the executable java applets are removed from the site:

Heimat und Sachkundeunterricht 2: Burg Wentorf (GC19B29) by Der wahre Eumel (1/2,5)

Wer bin ich? (GCRZ77) by Der wahre Eumel (2/1)

Heimat und Sachkundeunterricht 1: Engerling (GC1914Y) by Der wahre Eumel (2/2,5)

LPV (GC11A4T) by ageta (1/1)

TT13 - Kooperative Schule (GC104Z0) by ageta (1/1,5)

TT09 - Ernst Moritz Arndt-Halle (GCZ6D1) by ageta (1,5/1)

Mandelentzündung - G1/G14 (GCYFHN) by ageta (1/1,5)

TT05 - Karl-Schneider-Halle (GCYNKY) by ageta (1/1)

TT03 - Turnierstieg (GCYKDQ) by ageta (1/1,5)

TT04 - Flic Flac (GCYKE3) by ageta (1,5/1,5)

TT12 - Erich Kästner (GCZY72) by ageta (1/1,5)

Lord of Elbing (GC18NJR) by chipkrieger (2,5/1,5)

Versteckt / jetzt "F1" (GC101A0) by ageta (1/1)

09-HH "Wo bin ich?" (GC17CFR) by ageta (1,5/1,5)

Verloren im Kiebitzmoor (GC18KWA) by ageta (3/2)

TT06 - Walter Gropius (GCYVZ7) by ageta (1/1,5)

04-HH "Wo bin ich?" (GCQM53) by SuperMaX, supported by ageta (2/1)

TT07 - Edwin Scharff (GCYVZN) by ageta (1/1,5)

TT01 - Klöpperpark (GCZ6KE) by ageta (1/1,5)

Formel verloren (GC11BK0) by ageta (2,5/1,5)

01-HH "Wo bin ich?" (GCQDR5) by SuperMaX, supported by ageta (2/1,5)

03-HH "Wo bin ich?" (GCQJX4) by SuperMaX, supported by ageta (2,5/1,5)

TT02 - "Der Walddörfer" (GCZ694) by ageta (1/1,5)

Gotteshäuser: St. Gabriel in Volksdorf (GCYPGF) by ageta (1/1,5)

Hafenbahnhof (GC11QEA) by ageta (1,5/1,5)

TB-GC Airporthotel Hamburg (GC19XPR) by DocFry (1,5/1,5)

TT11 - Blau-Gold (GCZK0Y) by ageta (1/1,5)

Wildes Moor (GCVMZQ) by ageta (1/1)

KGV Glashuette (GCVN7D) by ageta (1,5/1,5)

Böse Buben (GCYFEY) by ageta (1,5/1,5)

Bienengefahr ? (GCX10T) by ageta (2/1,5)

Die drei ??? und der Fluch des Rubins (Nachtcache) (GCM8PH) by Hansewolfgang adopted by ageta (2/2,5)

Wer ist Horst ? (GC135MM) by ageta (1/1,5)

Pastorpark Nr.2 (GC18HHY) by ageta (2/1,5)

Klötenbrumpanol (GC17HDY) by DocFry (1,5/1,5)

Das Energiefeld (GC1802T) by DocFry (2/1,5)

Die Macht des Knack!!! (GC14KCR) by DocFry (1,5/1,5)

Futurama-Rätsel Cache (GC15QW2) by DocFry (3/2)

AKN(A2) - Meeschensee (GC13V40) by DocFry (1,5/1)

Mun-Bunker?? (GC15AJH) by DocFry (3/1,5)

Hochzeit C&A (GCYFG9) by ageta (1,5/1,5)

Geocachen@unterderbruecke (GC132XR) by DocFry (1,5/2)

Jäger und Sammler (GCZYBV) by ageta (1/1)

Friedhof der Anhänger (GC14N1X) by DocFry (2/1,5)

Schmalfelder Kurven (GC14N29) by DocFry (1,5/2)

200 bar (GCPMC2) by waws (1/1)

Schmalfelder Au (GC17VPZ) by DocFry (1/1,5)

Schmalfelder Ende (GC17VPR) by DocFry (2/1,5)

Wo die Hasen laufen (GC13E2P) by DocFry (1,5/1,5)

TB Hotel A7 / B206 (GC1476N) by DocFry (2/1,5)

Mun-Wald (GCKFBZ) by waws (1/1)

PUMA war noch da (GCQJTN) by waws (1/2)

NMS-West (GCHR9A) by Waws (1/1)

Cache mit Aussicht III (GC196WC) by knochenkopp (1/1)

Cache mit Aussicht II (GC1901E) by knochenkopp (1,5/1,5)

Cache mit Aussicht IV (GC198K4) by knochenkopp (1/1)

Am Deich (GC154GH) by DocFry (1/1,5)

Die Nutella-Pumpe (GC13HKA) by DocFry (1/1,5)

Cache mit Aussicht I (GC18TQN) by knochenkopp (1/1)

In der Pampa v2.0 (GC154FP) by DocFry (1,5/1,5)

Hubertusquelle (GC1A692) by knochenkopp (1/1,5)

Unter allen Wipfeln ist Ruh´ (GC15ZKR) by Pedalritter (1/1,5)

A2 bei Henrichenburg -> Oberhausen (GC13ZXX) by Michako (1/1)

Heimatkunde: Die Engelsburg in Recklinghausen (GCRZBP) by Michako (1/1)

TB-Hotel - Airport Düsseldorf - DUS StopOver (GC193BP) by -jha- (1/1,5)

OWU - Waldwurf (GC11T1B) by Die Osterhasen (2/2,5)

Niederhöchstädter Zankapfel (GC18WT3) by -jha- (2/1,5)

Furby002 (GC15TD2) by Furby012 (1,5/1,5)

Furby004 (GC15TD5) by Furby012 (1,5/1,5)

Furby001 (GC15TCY) by Furby012 (1,5/2)

Furby003 (GC15WT5) by Furby012 (1,5/1,5)

Furby005 (GC15XJE) by Furby012 (1,5/1,5)

happy hunting. :o

Edited by HHL