How's your memory?

JonInNH1

I have about 200 finds and can remember most of them by name and where they are. Do people with 500, 1000, 3000 still remember most of their finds? I was just wondering how long this can go on.

Up until about 1000 finds, I could remember just about everything about every cache: the name, the trails, the details of the hide, what the container looked like, what we traded, what we wrote in the log... after that it started getting fuzzy on some of the less memorable ones, especially when some of their names are a lot alike. But even on those less-memorable ones, if I re-read the log then all of the details will generally come flooding back.

I can remember most of them. But the quickest way for the details to materialize if you've forgotten is to approach the cache site. I will almost always remember. Unless of course, I am trying to remember how I've hidden my own caches :laughing: Forgot to mention I have about 1500 finds.

Edited by bflentje

I remember hikes and hunts, but I probably couldn't tell you the name of the cache, or even the container. I couldn't tell you what I traded at the end of a days caching, let alone weeks later. I do a lot of leave something take nothing.

I occasionally cache with a guy with 5000+ finds who seems to have total recall on each and every find.

I don't recall my own hides especially well, so I PQ them pretty often to make sure I haven't disabled one and then forgotten about it. Or that a couple of consecutive DNFs haven't come in. I have a few tougher finds, but most of what I own shouldn't get 2 or 3 straight DNFs.

Now with a little prompting on a few by reading the logs, I remember most caches we have found, as the numbers go up, some less memorable fade. I figure as I age, I will be able to reduce my travel as caches I have found will be forgotten and become a new experience no matter how many times I find it. Soon, that cache I hid in the back yard will be my daily cache fix and I will be all set :laughing:

I can remember the good marjority of my ~1,400 finds. I've made a conscious effort to only search for caches that I would enjoy and remember so the end result is that they all become memorable.

I've done a few park and grabs here and there on road trips to stretch the legs or to complete some type of quad-challenge and those fade to black pretty quick.

I have about 200 finds and can remember most of them by name and where they are. Do people with 500, 1000, 3000 still remember most of their finds? I was just wondering how long this can go on.

Like others have said, it depends on the cache. I'm somewhere around 2200 finds now and actually can remember most of them - there have been days though where I'd forget one or two by the time we got home. Which one was that again??

270-odd finds, and I couldn't hope to remember them all unprompted. I could remember 95% by looking at the titles in my list of finds. The rest, my log would remind me. When I do finally remember, a lot of detail returns. I believe all the ones I can't remember easily are in small city parks with the cache named after the park.

Up until about 1,000 finds, I could remember everything about all of the finds, name, who placed it, type of container . . . everything. We're over 2,700 now, and I'm lucky if I can remember to bring a pen on the hunt, so remember the cache? Only the really good ones now.

Of course, it may have little to do with the number of finds, and everything to do with getting older. :lol:

I have around 600 finds, and can remember most of them - but not by name. I do tend to remember the container type. The area that I live in is very saturated with caches - so I find myself driving around town saying "hey, there's a cache over there!!"

Now, as far as my neighbors names... Jill? Frances? maybe it started with an A... Oh heck, I give up!!! :lol:

Yes. I can remember almost all of them. It can be a little frightening. I drive along and say: There's a cache (or benchmark) right over there! I went on a few Travel Bug rescue missions on multis that had been archived. I found the finals two years afer my first find with no problem. On the other hand, I have to waypoint my car at the mall...

Every cache seemed unique to me until about my 200th to 250th find. I don't know what it was about that count. Somewhere in the 500's I lost the obsessive need to find every single cache in my area. In the early 700's I stopped worrying about increasing my find count. Now, it's just a fun little thing I do every now and then. I can remember almost all of them, if I exclude caches that were part of a series. What I mean is that Bike'n'cache #30 and Bike'n'cache #31, 32, 33, etc. are hard to remember distinctly. In most cases, though, if I have trouble remembering, one look at my log is usually enough to remind me of the experience.

A friend of mine conscientiously writes down the details of each of his finds--right down to the minute (and probably second). I'm not nearly as... detailed... as he is. I do get that way about my garden, however!!

I use a program on my pda called Cache Log Book. It easily records everything you need to know about a cache search, including time to the minute.

after being sucked dry of blood by hordes of miniscule vampires of the insect world,dehydrated to the point of looking like a piece of jerky from the 7-11 snack rack,poked lacerated, bruised and confused, thrashed bashed,and trashed on my way to the cache.

i can still remember (how could that be?) most of the FUN that i've had chasing down the 100 in my found list.

can i survive the next 100? haven't been snake bit yet! just think 10,000 finds, mygod they must look like

King Tut.

have fun always :)

My son and I have only been at this for a short time (1 week). Picked up a GPS to log off road trails travelled on the KLR. Found this thing in the GPS menu called geocaching, did a web search...Wow.

I can remember every cache we have found so far......all three of them :)

I can remember the details of the memorable caches both good or not so good. I may not remember the exact details of each cache on the days when we have gone on numbers runs, but I remember the details of the day spent having FUN with my geo-pals. And THAT is what it is all about ( and the hokey pokey of course. :))

I may not remember them all but I remember those that are worth remembering.

memorable Containers

memorable Puzzles

memorable Places

memorable Caching partners

FTFs if your blessed to have gotten one

And of course the big milestones we all track on our stats pages.

By the way, what were we talking about? :D

A friend of mine conscientiously writes down the details of each of his finds--right down to the minute (and probably second). I'm not nearly as... detailed... as he is. I do get that way about my garden, however!!

I use a program on my pda called Cache Log Book. It easily records everything you need to know about a cache search, including time to the minute.

Another *free* tool that I have used a few times is Jott (www.jott.com)

It is essentially a voice to email gateway. You call a number and it will ask "Who do you want to Jott?" Answer "myself" (or any other email address you have registered with the system) and it will prompt you to leave a voice message. You can then say something like "Found the X marks the spot cache" (there are lot of caches with that name). Took a hot wheels car, left a refrigerator. Discovered TB# T12345.

Then hang up.

When you get home you'll have an email message for each "jott" you sent. You can pretty much cut-n-paste the content right into the online log.

The less memorable caches fade into a hazy mush of micros on park benches, under garbage cans and lamp post skirts. The memorable ones are as vivid as the day I found them.

Normally I can remember "something" about a cache:

-- I might remember finding a cache in a certain area but can't remember the name of it.

-- I might remember the name of a cache but forget exactly how it was hidden.

That's one of the reasons I try and make my logs as detailed as I can -- they often trigger memories of the trip we were on or the people we were with or something unique about a cache that might otherwise be "just part of the background noise."

I havent found but 93 but im almost out of caches in my home town but when we started caching i had no sense of direction and of road names, ect but now when we are talking about going somewhere my hubbie will say its over by "something stinks' (a local cache) and ill know exactly where he's talking about.