Can´t make the "Send to GPS" button work

Langschwert

Hi, folks,

I hope this question is not too stupid. I already searched the forum but unfortunately the keywords etrex and gps seem to be quite popular. :laughing:

Got a Garmin etrex and was not able to make the "Send to GPS" thing work when viewing a cache. Using my PC und Firefox 2.0.0.12, the Garmin test homepage says that everything is fine and even detects my etrex correctly. But when trying to "Send to GPS" from the geocaching.com homepage the dialog box keeps saying "Garmin Communicator Plugin NOT detected. Download and install now"

I would appreciate any hints, even a link to a former discussion if the problem was solved previously at another location. :laughing:

Thanks and greetings from Germany

Got a Garmin etrex and was not able to make the "Send to GPS" thing work when viewing a cache. Using my PC und Firefox 2.0.0.12, the Garmin test homepage says that everything is fine and even detects my etrex correctly. But when trying to "Send to GPS" from the geocaching.com homepage the dialog box keeps saying "Garmin Communicator Plugin NOT detected. Download and install now"

Just after the phrase you quote above there should be a URL (underlined) that will take you to the Garmin page that has the s/w you need. If having probs the link is... http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/

Edited by blackprince

Uhm - thanks, but that IS the page, that detects my etrex and announces that my drivers are up to date and everything should be fine. *sigh*

Additional info : meanwhile I tried it with the IE and that works better - als long as I need to save the Data on a temporary disk. The etrex is not among the listet devices.

I am trying the whol thing with my laptop now, maybe it is a simple hardware problem.

------

Edit : Problem solved by using an intact cable. :laughing:

Still works with IE only, Firefox doesn´t. Any suggestions ?

Edited by Langschwert

I have the plugin installed on Firefox and it will let me dl only one cache. If I try to dl another, it tells me I have to install the plugin.

If I close all the browsers and then go to my book mark and start again, it will then let me dl one cache and the same thing happens.

I am having the EXACT same problem. Also using Firefox, BTW. I can only d/l one cache. If I try another, I'm told that I don't have the plugin. I have to log out, close Firefox, log back in for each waypoint I need. Needless to say, this wastes a ton of time when trying d/l multiple caches before a roadtrip.

Can anyone advise on the solution?

I have the plugin installed on Firefox and it will let me dl only one cache. If I try to dl another, it tells me I have to install the plugin.

If I close all the browsers and then go to my book mark and start again, it will then let me dl one cache and the same thing happens.

I am having the EXACT same problem. Also using Firefox, BTW. I can only d/l one cache. If I try another, I'm told that I don't have the plugin. I have to log out, close Firefox, log back in for each waypoint I need. Needless to say, this wastes a ton of time when trying d/l multiple caches before a roadtrip.

Yep. Premium membership and pocket queries.

Huh? Are you suggesting that this problem is a deliberate crippling of the software by geocaching.com and that only Premium Members can use the program to d/l waypoints without having to reboot to get each one?

Huh? Are you suggesting that this problem is a deliberate crippling of the software by geocaching.com and that only Premium Members can use the program to d/l waypoints without having to reboot to get each one?

I am a premium member.

I am not suggesting anything of the sort. Just suggesting that if you are a premium member you can have five pocket queries per day sent to your email with up to 500 caches in each. The caches can then be uploaded to your GPS 500 at a time.

Since you are a Premium Member, you might find it is just easier to get Pocket Queries, which will deliver the .gpx files for as many as 500 caches to your email InBox.

For individual caches, I just download the .gpx file from the cache page, open it in GSAK, then use the right-click menu option in GSAK to send that cache to my GPS unit with the "smart name" I have designated. It only takes a few seconds longer to do that than to use the "Send to GPS" button on the cache page.

You can check the caches in a search and download a .loc file and use something like GSAK to send them to your GPSr. I really hesitated on the membership, but I am REALLY glad I did it now.