GeoPoker Run 3

SeabeckTribe

:laughing: We have attentively set this years GeoPoker Run 3 for Saturday June 28th. It's still over 4 months away but we can submit it in 6 weeks!

The Tribe has been looking for a base site for this years Run. We have used Jarstad Park for the last two and thought it was time to move to another location. We took a day and ran up North. We though that maybe a park with camping would go over good for anyone coming from out of town that want to do some extra caching.

Kitsap Memorial State Park: Nice park. The park has one kitchen shelter with electricity and one without, plus four sheltered and 20 unsheltered picnic tables. The Caterer's Kitchen shelter has a brick fireplace, cooking tops and barbecue grills and may be reserved. If it isn't reserved we might get it as first-come, first-served. Other facilities are first-come, first-served. The park has a 73-car parking capacity. You can view the Canal from the park and there are trails to the beach. Quite a few camping sites.

Salsbury Kitsap County Park: Saltwater beach access, boat launch, fishing pier, restrooms, picnic shelter, playground and picnic areas. Once again we take the chance on someone reserving the shelter. No other covered shelters. This site has a nice lawn and view of the canal. One minor down fall... The bathrooms are in the shelter. So the public would be walking through at times. No camping sites.

Port Gamble: The site has a GREAT view of the water. No electricity or water. There are bathrooms a short walk away. It is very tempting but maybe not practical for our event.

Manchester State Park: Nice view. One large reservable picnic shelter and two small picnic shelters available first-come, first-served. The reservable shelter is the old brick "torpedo warehouse" If it isn't reserved we might get it as first-come, first-served.

Fay Bainbridge State Park: We didn't check this one out yet. The State Park web site doesn't give a map of the camping area. There are two kitchen shelters with electricity, plus 11 sheltered and 80 unsheltered picnic tables. One shelter is available by reservation. It will accommodate groups of up to 50 people. Camping is a first-come, first-served park. No reservations are needed. We have only been there once doing the Thunderbird Track Cache and ate our lunch. Great view of the Sound since the park is at water level. Not sure where the camping sites or shelters are. Will have to take a run up there to look the park over.

We would like to get a little input from you. Which location would you vote for? If camping is available, would you be interested in camping over night? If we don't get a base site with electricity & water, what are your thoughts about a cold dish potluck? There could be BBQs available for roasting hot dogs and bugers.

Also.... Travis gave us heads up that he was thinking of same weekend for the Missoula Cache Machine.

Don't be shy... We want to hear all the Good, Bad and Ugly comments! :laughing:

Happy Caching

The Tribe

I would like to suggest either Island Lake State Park or Illahee State Park, provided there is a large enough covered area and parking suitable for the needs of the activity.

As for either, you might check out the required use fees.

At Island Lake there is a fully enclosed building(at the South end) that might be available. There are no campsites within this park. However, there is a kids' playground nearby, not to mention a lake with a sandy beach area for swimming.

At Illahee Park there is also a kids' playground and there are camping available. The waterfront here is not all that good for swimming, but it is great for boaters. However, all picnic structures are open to the weather.

Edited by Fledermaus

I would like to suggest either Island Lake State Park or Illahee State Park, provided there is a large enough covered area and parking suitable for the needs of the activity.

As for either, you might check out the required use fees.

At Island Lake there is a fully enclosed building(at the South end) that might be available. There are no campsites within this park. However, there is a kids' playground nearby, not to mention a lake with a sandy beach area for swimming.

At Illahee Park there is also a kids' playground and there are camping available. The waterfront here is not all that good for swimming, but it is great for boaters. However, all picnic structures are open to the weather.

I remember checking out Illahee State Park and went back to see way I had dismissed it. Here is the info from the web page. Check out the last sentence.

Illahee SP: The park provides three reservable kitchen shelters with electricity and one available first-come, first-served, plus 90 additional unsheltered picnic sites. To reserve kitchen shelters, call the park. Picnic sites are available first-come, first-served. Day-use groups of 20 or more are required to register and pay the applicable fees.

Here is

Island Lake County Park: Lake access, swimming area, fishing pier, walking trails, picnic areas, picnic shelter, playground, restrooms, community center. Rate for community center - $35.00 per hour or $420.00 per day. It says it has a picnic Shelter. So I'll have to check that out. It's been awhile since we have visited the park.

Would there be a place in Silverdale? I remember you saying something about maybe the GPR being up north this year :ph34r: . Not too many more places to camp besides the ones you already mentioned. Just thinking out loud here :anibad:

That's why we are asking thoughts on these parks. We would lean more for a park that provides camping sites if there is enought interest in over night camping. If we have to, we'll pitch a canopy and do without electricity for the event.

It's been a long cold winter! I am excited about going camping in my little trailer. But with the cost of gas I'll be staying close to my home area. Maybe a long weekend up in the NW part of the state. Lots of caches waiting for us up there and down 101. Then there is the Shelton area... Boy I am getting ahead of myself! :wub:

I know that the Missoula CM is scheduled for this same weekend. We are assuming that there will be quite a few cachers on the West side of the State that will not be able to make the long treck over to MT. We hope our event will soothe thier woos for not being able to go to the CM.

How many participants would you expect at this event?

The first year we had 29 logged as attending. Last year 55. With the Missoula CM being on the same weekend. I am thinking some where between that this year. But it could be more!

Forgot to mention that some that logged as attending were family groups. But as long as each person put in thier entry fee everyone could play. (Caching family of 5 entered 5 entry fees and got 5 prizes but logged as one attending.)

Edited by SeabeckTribe