Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx vs Delorme PN-20

JM45ACP

I recently purchased a 60CSx and am not really impressed with it I was at the store the other day and was looking at the PN-20 How do the two compare I am looking for something for Hunting ,hiking,camping Etc I want a unit that will lock on and hold under tree cover. I also want something that doesn't have the maps (screen) bounce around when I have the unit stationary .I am using the Mapsend Topo 2008. Compass is off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks John

I have the DeLorme and I expect that it will do all that you want of it in your outdoor, back country activities. I have never noticed any map bouncing or jumping while stationary. The PN-20 doesn't react to travel my making incremental jumps, or scrolling. When the current postion indicator approaches one of the edges of the screen as a result of travel, the entire screen, or map, is redrawn.

I don't have the subject Garmin so I can't make direct comparisons. However, searching other posts herein will reveal a consensus that the PN-20 has superior map hosting capability. You might want to look here

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtd...;minisite=10020

for a look at the DeLorme PN-20 maps and then here

http://www.delorme.com/PN20Compare/

for a direct comparison with the Garmin maps.

I recently purchased a 60CSx and am not really impressed with it I was at the store the other day and was looking at the PN-20 How do the two compare I am looking for something for Hunting ,hiking,camping Etc I want a unit that will lock on and hold under tree cover. I also want something that doesn't have the maps (screen) bounce around when I have the unit stationary .I am using the Mapsend Topo 2008. Compass is off.

Thanks John

I have both and would definitely recommend the 60CSx over the PN-20 at this point in the game. The PN-20 has a lot of potential and is very stable with the most recent 1.4 SW release but, in my opinion, it is SLOW! Scrolling pages is very laborious for the PN-20 processor. Loading a pocket query of caches can take 15 to 20 minutes if you get into the hundreds. I think its got great potential but it needs a uP with more horsepower or more efficient SW.

The maps are definitely better than Garmin's so if just for hiking, I would probably suggest the PN-20 but for caching, IMHO, there no comparison, get the 60CSx.

Thanks John

I have owned both units. SOme on this site will tell you the maps are far superior on the PN-20. Some of them are but the base map with the Pn-20 and the Topo with the CS60 sort of compare. Some areas have more detail on one unit and other areas are better on the other unit.

Now for the other part of the story!!

MORE maps are available for the PN-20, and more different types of maps. If you to play around cutting maps and such the PN-20 is for you. There are some high quality maps available for it . But they get really expensive if you need a lot of them.

Bottom line is I think if you just want a useable unit that does a lot but may not have the most detailed maps, the 60CSX is better. If you are a true GPS expert the PN-20 is probably better.

FOr me the Garmin was more useable but then I did not want to do like some of the guys that are really knowledgeable on here and create really complicated maps.

It is your choice they are both good machines , the maps for them are the really big difference to me.

Greg Harrison

For outdoor use and the best mapping available, nothing will beat the PN-20. It even does pretty good on the road as well but is more suited for outdoor activities (I used my PN-20 to route and drive to the beach with no problems). As far as it being slow, it depends on how you have the settings. 2-3 seconds for a re-draw is not bad at all. With the new current rebate and the 30 day trial period, you have nothing to lose (well shipping id you decide to send it back).

Nut,

Here is a simple comparsion if it helps.

1. Your Garmin 60 has about the same size screen as the PN-20 so regardless you are only able to see but so much.

2. The PN does have considerable more maps available and their software when compared to Garmin is hard to beat. hint.. Buy the Delorme software for home PC stick with Mapsource on the unit...

3. Garmin's antenna and signal lock continually ranks tops. Spent last three weekends hiking deep woods, through the valleys with my 60 in my pocket and never lost a signal. I don't know if the PN woud have done it but I have others and they don't work under those conditions.

4. The PN has been reported on other reviews as having a slow screen load. Hey, it's a lot of info it takes awhile. see remark #1

5. benjamin921's sugestion to check map set up for track up vs north up should fix your jumping map..

6. Compass Off? Heck live on the wide side,, turn it back on just adjust the setting to fit your style of use. It really doesn't consume that much power and it will help with keeping you pointed in the right direction from the start...

Good Luck..

Edited by jimfish

I'd say it depends on what kinda of caching you plan on doing.

If your doing fairly easy, and mostly urban caches, you would be better off with the 60csx. The extra detail in the 1:24k maps vs the 1:100k maps won't be much different here. This and with City Navigator NT will be more useful for running around to a lot of different caches in one day.

If you favor more hiking, back woods caches, then I think you will like the PN-20 better. Here is where the 1:24k maps will come in handy. Also having the ability to choose between Delorme's vector maps, real USGS topo maps and aerial photos is very nice to have out in the woods. A trail might show on one map and not another, but the aerial photography will often show trails, gas line trails, and other backwoods road that won't show up on either of the other two maps. I've never had a problem with keeping a signal on it, even in very thick foliage or valleys.

On the down side for the pn-20, the raster based maps are somewhat slow to refresh, and the car auto routing is not that great either. Also since you are using a 60Csx one other important thing to note about the PN-20 is it doesn't have an electronic compass. You have to be moving to get an accurate heading, unlike the 60Csx which will give you an accurate heading even when standing still. That is assuming you have properly calibrated the compass.

For honesty's sake though I should say that I do own a PN-20, and use it mostly for hiking, backpacking, and some geocaching. For my uses its the best unit out there IMO.

I don't own a 60Csx, but I did own a Garmin Summit HC, and the 1:100k maps just didn't provide enough detail for me being in the back woods often.

Thanks John

You said you were "not really impressed" with the 60CSx. You mention the 'screen bounce', which was addressed by another poster. If you could be more specific about what you did not care for on the 60CSx it may help get specific answers to your concerns.

I own a 60Cx and a PN-20 so I can give you some insight. I owned the 60Cx before I bought the PN-20. I purchased the PN-20 for the maps. It's all about the maps. As I said a year ago when I first got the PN-20, if I want road routing I'll take the Garmin. If I'm off road, there's no question I'll have the PN-20.

One poster said stay with Mapsource because it's better than Delorme's Topo 6 or 7. He apparantely hasn't taken the time to learn how to use Topo. It is a far more capable product.

The PN-20 will hold lock equally as well as the Garmin.

Delorme has excellent support and are working very hard to respond to all the suggestions from customers.

As Embra said, you can get the PN-20 with Topo 7, 1GB SD card and reader, plus $100 certificate for map downloads which includes color and B&W aerials, ocean charts, 7.5 min quads for $299 plus if you are really into maps you can get Xmap to register any map such as tiff's jpg's, etc. As a PN-20 user I also believe you can purchase your state's entire set of USGS quads for $49.

As a PN-20 user I also believe you can purchase your state's entire set of USGS quads for $49.

Depends on the state. I bought all of Arizonz for $49 on one DVD. However, California comes on two, so I just bought southern for $49. Regardless, they are dynamite. I was just out in the Mojave Desert this past weekend and was using the USGS as exported to my PN-20 and found those maps to be very helpful.

A further note about the formerly slow refresh/redraw rate of the PN-20, the latest firmware, 1.4 Beta, has made a substantial improvent over the previous. Not having access to a 60Cx, I can't relate an actual comparison. Now, if somebody could lend me one, then........................ :lol: