TomTom POIs

c2rm

I like to keep things simple so for looking at cache details in the field I use "Cachemate" on my MIO P550.

Which also runs TomTom Navigator 6 and I use the following to input geocaching POIs (not sure if it works for the 'go' varients but I think it should):

GSAK version 7.2.0.126 and a very handy TomTom macro by 'Big Wolf' available fron the GSAK website fourms. This exports the POIs from the GSAK database with a unique icon for each type of cache (just like you get on the GC.com website). :laughing:

GSAK version 7.2.0.126 and a very handy TomTom macro by 'Big Wolf' available fron the GSAK website fourms. This exports the POIs from the GSAK database with a unique icon for each type of cache (just like you get on the GC.com website). :laughing:

Make sure you use the latest version (as I found out to my horror!) because otherwise when searching for the closest you have to know whether you are searching for a micro or a regular (IMVHO, they are both "Traditional Caches").

Also, it works on TT 7 too (for those of you who have the newest software on stand-alone)

...This exports the POIs from the GSAK database with a unique icon for each type of cache (just like you get on the GC.com website). :laughing:

I'll have to look into that. When I first tried POIs in tomtom last July all caches and waypoints had the same icon so what looked like a drive by cache and dash turned out to be a parking location etc and I haven't bothered since.

...This exports the POIs from the GSAK database with a unique icon for each type of cache (just like you get on the GC.com website). :laughing:

I'll have to look into that. When I first tried POIs in tomtom last July all caches and waypoints had the same icon so what looked like a drive by cache and dash turned out to be a parking location etc and I haven't bothered since.

This is still the case if you use the default GSAK settings, whilst each cache type gets its own icon, you also get the same icon for any child waypoints for that cache eg parking.

The way to avoid/change this is modify the file export settings (found under the 'file' pull down menu for the TomTom.CSV files by unticking the "include additional child waypoints" option). Hope this helps.

Al

ohhhh I love it!!!

1st time I insalled it, I set it up so that the icon things went to my desk top for some reason, so I just uninstalled it... can you tell me where to store them? Should I store them on the C drive, which is where I usually generate pois to before I export to my stand alone, or should I connect the Tom tom to the pc, and store them directly in teh UK maps bit, which is where I usually transfer them...?

Sorry - I'm a techno numpty!!!

ohhhh I love it!!!

1st time I insalled it, I set it up so that the icon things went to my desk top for some reason, so I just uninstalled it... can you tell me where to store them? Should I store them on the C drive, which is where I usually generate pois to before I export to my stand alone, or should I connect the Tom tom to the pc, and store them directly in teh UK maps bit, which is where I usually transfer them...?

Just plug your Tomtom into the PC and use it like an external hard drive:

When it's plugged in, go to Windows Explorer and you should have a drive called "Tomtom"

GSAK generates 2 files for each cache type. One is a .ov2 file and one is a .bmp file. Drag these files into your map directory (depending on which version: Some are Great_Britain and others are UK_and_Ireland (or Australia, Canada etc).

Stu

ohhhh I love it!!!

Just plug your Tomtom into the PC and use it like an external hard drive:

When it's plugged in, go to Windows Explorer and you should have a drive called "Tomtom"

GSAK generates 2 files for each cache type. One is a .ov2 file and one is a .bmp file. Drag these files into your map directory (depending on which version: Some are Great_Britain and others are UK_and_Ireland (or Australia, Canada etc).

Stu

Thanks Tossy Wossy...

So I just export the POI like I would normally.... that's fabulous!!!

Wow!

That really is fantastic and just the sort of thing I have been looking for to try and get a consistent feel to my caching from PC to PDA and from Tomtom to 60CSx.

I had wondered what benfits there would be in upgrading to the latest version of GSAK. This alone is reason enough. Huge thanks

So, my next question is how do I get manage to easily download all caches for UK. I am aware that the query will only allow 500 but am wondering if there is a clever way to manage my queries or even if all caches are already listed on a single site.

Thanks

...This exports the POIs from the GSAK database with a unique icon for each type of cache (just like you get on the GC.com website). :rolleyes:

This is still the case if you use the default GSAK settings, whilst each cache type gets its own icon, you also get the same icon for any child waypoints for that cache eg parking.

The way to avoid/change this is modify the file export settings (found under the 'file' pull down menu for the TomTom.CSV files by unticking the "include additional child waypoints" option). Hope this helps.

Al

For those who haven't discovered this yet (like me untill a few moments ago) I've just realised that using "Big Wolf's" TomTom macro and the latest version of GSAK gives you more options.

So I have just done an export and selected the "Parking" option under "add Child Waypoint". This produced another POI file and a loverly blue "P" icon (just like a parking sign) for those caches listing parking coordinates - wicked. So now I have parking coordinates shown on TomTom without confusing them with caches as used to happen. I must say I realy like this macro - big thanks to Big Wolf.

I have no idea what I've done wrong with my eport, but I have the new icons for some caches and not others, and it seems to have changed the way my other POI's (like banks etc) are found....

I was stuck in Manchester today and needed to get to a bank... it was then that I realised that it's all been changed!!!!

I'll have to wipe the tom tom totally and try a reinstall...... I do love what I see so far though!