Paperless with a Palm m125

WestbrooksByTheSea

I'm getting tired of carrying my little printouts with me on my hunts, but I'm not sure whether the Palm I have is up to the task. I bought it several years ago for my husband who never used it. For that matter, I've never used it either, so I thought I'd see if anyone has an opinion as to whether this model is even worth firing up and using for paperless caching.

Any comments would be welcome! Thanks!

I have been using the m125 for paperless caching for more than a month now. Cachemate 4.1.1 and Plucker running fine on it. It's got the SD card expansion slot for added memory. Works great. I love it.

I was just checking out the cachemate website and I can't tell if you're able to download logs with the cache. I'm still a newbie by most standards, so I still like to print out the logs just in case I need added info once I'm out there (try telling a 3-year-old minicacher that there's no treasure 'cause you can't find it!). Is there a way to do this with cachemate and the palm?

Thanks for the info!

I also use a m125. Cachemate is great, but I use a combo of GSAK and SunriseXP.

GSAK exports the caches into a HTML database that Sunrise XP then syncs and sends to the palm's 512MB SD card, and a program called Plucker displays it. It is a bit more complicated, but the cache pages look a lot like they do on the website, and since it's mostly free I'm all for it.

GSAK exports the caches into a HTML database that Sunrise XP then syncs and sends to the palm's 512MB SD card, and a program called Plucker displays it. It is a bit more complicated, but the cache pages look a lot like they do on the website, and since it's mostly free I'm all for it.

As much as I love this technology, I find myself cross-eyed when I try to figure out what all the various pieces of software are doing. Does GSAK export the caches as individual pages of html, or is it one long script? Hopefully you understand what I am trying to ask, since I may not be using the right terminology. I'm just hoping I can index and search by individual cache rather than having to scroll through a long page.

Another question -- I downloaded Sunrise XP, do I need to download Plucker separately? I followed the link from the Sunrise site to the Plucker site, but couldn't find a download link there. I'll try again.

Thanks for all the insight, everyone!

As much as I love this technology, I find myself cross-eyed when I try to figure out what all the various pieces of software are doing. Does GSAK export the caches as individual pages of html, or is it one long script? Hopefully you understand what I am trying to ask, since I may not be using the right terminology. I'm just hoping I can index and search by individual cache rather than having to scroll through a long page.

Another question -- I downloaded Sunrise XP, do I need to download Plucker separately? I followed the link from the Sunrise site to the Plucker site, but couldn't find a download link there. I'll try again.

Thanks for all the insight, everyone!

Plucker comes in 2 (well, actually 3) components. One goes on your Palm PDA and is the "reader". Look here for plucker-1.8.zip

The other parts go on your desktop and are used "to gather web pages and compress them into a Plucker "document"" and "build Plucker "documents" with a GUI environment".

However, some people (like me) prefer Sunrise XP for the desktop part of the equation.

Does GSAK export the caches as individual pages of html, or is it one long script?

GSAK exports each cache as it's own HTML file, however it also generates index files that allow you to navigate through them. Each cache page can also have links to nearby cache's pages, so even though you have a lot of files, you'll never really interact with them individually.

Sunrise XP takes that index file and will retrieve all the separate cache ad image files on its own, you just tell it where to start.

Plucker is a program for the Palm, you can probably find it using Google if the Sunrise link didn't work.

Hope this helps.

Does GSAK export the caches as individual pages of html, or is it one long script?

GSAK exports each cache as it's own HTML file, however it also generates index files that allow you to navigate through them. Each cache page can also have links to nearby cache's pages, so even though you have a lot of files, you'll never really interact with them individually.

Sunrise XP takes that index file and will retrieve all the separate cache ad image files on its own, you just tell it where to start.

Plucker is a program for the Palm, you can probably find it using Google if the Sunrise link didn't work.

Hope this helps.

It does help, thanks. But I still can't get it quite right. I've taken a pocket query and exported it to html using GSAK. Then I went to Sunrise XP and did a run choosing what I assume is the correct file (the one called "index") in the group of html files created by GSAK. When I do my Hotsynch, it flies right through the process (I assume if I'm doing it right it would take a while since it's loading 75 caches). Then I open the library in Plucker (on the Palm) and there's nothing there besides the User Guide. Has anyone got the patience to type out detailed instructions for how to do the Sunrise--->Palm process?

Also, is anyone willing to explain to my husband why it makes sense to spend countless hours just trying to GET READY to go geocaching? :laughing:

WestbrooksByTheSea,

In the window where you set up SunriseXP to export to the PDA, there may be some options you need to set to get it working.

You seem to have the URL/ File set correctly, the index file in the folder GSAK generates is correct.

Under link depth set it to 4. To its right set the drop down menu to "Restrict to Directory. If you are connected to the internet it will go and grab image files, this is fine, but if your on Dial-Up like me it will be slow.

In the output tab, make sure it is going to your PDA, or a file location where you can grab it and load it yourself.

This process is pretty quick once you have the file system set up. It goes like this :

Update GSAK, export to HTML in GSAK (Place an icon in toolbar for this)

Open and Sync the Sunrise XP file.

Sync the PDA

The key is using the same filenames and locations, when you do updates the old files are overwritten, and when you do the Syncs it knows where to get everything. I have a folder and file system set up so I can update everything in less than 5 minutes, the only issue is my slow internet. It takes me longer to download the files than to sync them.

Hope that helps.

WestbrooksByTheSea,

In the window where you set up SunriseXP to export to the PDA, there may be some options you need to set to get it working.

You seem to have the URL/ File set correctly, the index file in the folder GSAK generates is correct.

Under link depth set it to 4. To its right set the drop down menu to "Restrict to Directory. If you are connected to the internet it will go and grab image files, this is fine, but if your on Dial-Up like me it will be slow.

In the output tab, make sure it is going to your PDA, or a file location where you can grab it and load it yourself.

This process is pretty quick once you have the file system set up. It goes like this :

Update GSAK, export to HTML in GSAK (Place an icon in toolbar for this)

Open and Sync the Sunrise XP file.

Sync the PDA

The key is using the same filenames and locations, when you do updates the old files are overwritten, and when you do the Syncs it knows where to get everything. I have a folder and file system set up so I can update everything in less than 5 minutes, the only issue is my slow internet. It takes me longer to download the files than to sync them.

Hope that helps.

Worked like a charm, thank you so much! Woohoo, I'm paperless! Yeah!

Thank you everyone who took the time to put in your 2 cents!