WAAS and Magellan GPSr's

trainlove

QMaze: The above thread about GPS units with non-working WAAS is primarily about older Magellan units such as the Meridian series. A new model should be no problem. I'm not an expert on Magellan models, but if you bought it new, check your manual, and you should be able to determine if all is well.

All eXplorists and earlier are affected!

Norm

QMaze: The above thread about GPS units with non-working WAAS is primarily about older Magellan units such as the Meridian series. A new model should be no problem. I'm not an expert on Magellan models, but if you bought it new, check your manual, and you should be able to determine if all is well.

The explorist xl is now an older magellan unit. Only used units operating before 7/31/07 pick up waas

sats, maybe. If you bought one new after that you ain't got waas. If anyone is interested I will post how I

fixed my explorist xl. I would need somewhere to upload the 14mb euro firmware update for all to use.

In the mean time study up at the following site to learn about useful service functions you will need.

http://rhamphorinkx.newmail.ru/sf.htm

I would suggest that if you bought a new Explorist and it is within the store or manufacturer's warranty period, and cannot receive WAAS, you should return it. It is defective. It does not meet the published specifications. There are laws against selling equipment that does not perform as advertised. There may even be some relief available after the warranty period. I suggest those affected seek legal assistance.

Remember:

If you have WAAS working on a Meridian or Explorist, NEVER upgrade your firmware or clear ALL memory (it is safe to clear waypoints, routes or tracks, but NOT "ALL"). I speak from experience, as the owner of a now WAAS-less Meridian.

Hi all, Not to hi-jack anybody else's thread here as it looks like its starting to branch off to cover other maggie models. But does anybody know if this European update will work with an older Sportrak pro? I currently still have V.5.34 may 21 2004. It had WAAS at one time, but I see no evidence of it now. I also haven't seen anything about the older STP's either. Thanks!!

I'm no expert on Sportrak models, but I have the distinct impression that they share a lot of inside electronics with Meridians, or may even be essentially identical, with a new outer case and marketing jazz. If they do share electronics / firmware, and the latest firmware is 2004, you are probably out of luck on WAAS.

On the other hand, if you DO get it working, please let me know. Maybe there is something to learn, and might be of some help for my WAAS-less Meridian Platinum.

So what this is all telling me, is that if I have a Explorist 500 and it is trying to get a fix on sat 120 & 122 it will never get WAAS ever again right?

Update to european firmware 2.57 you'll get WAAS back. Backup your basemap first though.

Won't let me since my serial number is not correct, and already registered as a NA unit. Is there some other source to get the 2.57 firmware? This sucks, I had no idea there was an issue with this. My 210 broke about October of last year and I just got this one.

Won't let me since my serial number is not correct, and already registered as a NA unit. Is there some other source to get the 2.57 firmware? This sucks, I had no idea there was an issue with this. My 210 broke about October of last year and I just got this one.

I got it off a australian GPS retailer's website, but forgot the name. Send me your email. I read a bunch of stuff on the Explorist group page on yahoo.

I had the same problem with my eXplorist 600 North America . I updated the firmware to 5.2.57 Europe and my WAAS 135 and 138 are back. You also get the extra benefit of the extra screens. It goes without saying back up first. Here is the link I found it at.

http://www.nextdestination.com.au/Pages/Do...dId=13#firmware.

That's the same site I got it off of, so I can also attest to it working.

This may sound silly but How do you upload the new firmware? Thanks.

1.) backup your basemap.

2.) Fully Charge or put Fresh batteries in your unit.

3.) connect to your computer via usb cable

4.) Run the firmware executable for your device. I got mine here and it worked on mine. No guarantees for yours.

5.) Watch the update bars go and pray your unit doesn't get bricked (only slightly exagerating) Mine went smoothly but others have had problems. Do a little research on the Yahoo Explorist group.

6.) Enjoy the new screens and WAAS.

I think it's safe to have the AC adapter plugged in while it's in the computer can someone verify that. If it is safe I would plug in the ac adapter as well

Edited by sanramonhunter

1.) backup your basemap.

4.) Run the firmware executable for your device. I got mine here and it worked on mine. No guarantees for yours.

5.) Watch the update bars go and pray your unit doesn't get bricked (only slightly exagerating) Mine went smoothly but others have had problems. Do a little research on the Yahoo Explorist group.

I think it's safe to have the AC adapter plugged in while it's in the computer can someone verify that. If it is safe I would plug in the ac adapter as well

Well someone else sent me a pm with a link to the info elsewhere. I went through the process and did NOT get a brick. It appears to have worked and went smooth. B) I have yet to actually test it outside since I am at work. Will edit my post when I get a break to do so. Thanks everyone. I appreciate the help! :D:D

Edit: Everything si working good now and I have WAAS again. Also I had sent a message to Magellan support on this like so many others and here was the reply, well what is pertinent to the WAAS issue anyway.

Regarding the WAAS Signal:

I request you to try restart the gps and place the unit in a wide open space.

I would like to inform you that, this issue might be fix in the next firmware

update. We are unable to promise the date for new Update. I request that you

wait for the next firmware update.

If you have registered your unit with our website, you will receive a

notification about the Map update release in future. In addition, you can

check our website periodically to check for the Map update.

If you have further queries, please get back to us.

It would be so nice to tell them that until they actually do something to support their products, and get out a firmware update to resolve the issue, i will be putting the check on "hold". If there was a way to do that I'm sure they would magically improve their support issues. whatever. Last magellan I will ever buy since they are so poor. Fool me once, shame on you, do it twice, shame on me. I certainly wont forget it.

Edited by KOOLAID105

Ok, So I have tried to update the European Firmware. I have done it a few times now from 2 different sources. It says the upload is complete and still no change. The older version is still there. I know that my unit is communicating with my computer so its not a connection problem. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks .

I now have two XLs , my older XL was updated to the 9.2.10 firmware and was used several times before and during the June 2007 shut down of the two WAAS satellites and I get the WAAS notation in the little accuracy box screen.

My latest XL addition had the older 9.1.04 firmware,....so following Magellan's upgrade instructions on their web page, cleared the memory and successfully uploaded the recommended 9.2.10 firmware and NOW MY XL WILL NOT REGISTER WASS IN THE ACCURACY BOX and now I am pissed. After the two identical GPS sitting one foot apart for 30 minutes the WASS accuracy is down to 9 feet and the non WASS is 23 feet EPE.

Should I try the Austrian upgrade on the listed link ??? http://www.nextdestination.com.au/Pages/Do...dId=13#firmware.

And if so please tell me how to back up my firmware baseman,....Thank you

OK, I updated my Explorist 500LE to the European Firmware, and WAAS now works. I see Birds 122 and 134 I believe. ( I am at work right now) And WAAS shows in the accuracy display. But I have a question. I tried to find the basemap using the USB cable, and it was a no go. I did backup all the flolders from the internal memory, and i saw Basemap.mgi was transferred. ( I think .mgi was the file extension) I did have windows Xp set to show all files including hidden and system files, but still I didn't see the basemap file. What gives here? When I browse for the basemap file using the GPSr I do see a basemap file, but is it really there?

Thanks

Rusty

OK, I updated my Explorist 500LE to the European Firmware, and WAAS now works. I see Birds 122 and 134 I believe. ( I am at work right now) And WAAS shows in the accuracy display. But I have a question. I tried to find the basemap using the USB cable, and it was a no go. I did backup all the flolders from the internal memory, and i saw Basemap.mgi was transferred. ( I think .mgi was the file extension) I did have windows Xp set to show all files including hidden and system files, but still I didn't see the basemap file. What gives here? When I browse for the basemap file using the GPSr I do see a basemap file, but is it really there?

Thanks

Rusty

122 &134 = dead birds, Green boxes on satellite screen = lie, Satellite #s in SSM = truth,

WAAS in EPE box = truth (maybe).

W/out a basemap I don't think it would turn on, if detail maps are turned off and you have any

kind of map showing, somethings there. If it turned on w/out basemap and no detail map active

you'd see a plain white screen w/no features whatsoever.

Norm

Sorry, my bad, I was at work when I wrote that message. It actually says 120 and 138. I turned of the detail map, and I still have some sort of map, so I guess the basemap stayed.

Rusty

Congratulations . . . good to go! Have fun w/ your 'New' 500LE, I suspect you'll like the additional

screens, if not . . . turn 'em off.

Why Maggie didn't just roll w/ the 1.55 for everyone is anybodies guess, they won't talk to the likes of us.

Norm

for the first time ever today, my explorist 210 started showing "WAAS" in the nav screen that shows current position and epe.

I haven't done anything to the unit I can think of such as a firmware upgrade, and I have been using the unit regularly over the last couple of days. The eoe was down to 3m, the lowest I've ever seen it, but it didn't appear to be any more or less accurate than it ever has.

Anybody else notice this?

Oh please stop giving me hope! The fact that my buddy's exact same unit can get much better accuracy

just makes me mad at the company that won't do me right. If Magellan fixed this problem right now right fast I might consider buying from them again. As they will not I would love to get a fix, tell them to shove

it and always buy from someone else. Magellan delenda est!

I have tried to download the 2.57, but I can not without having a registered 500 europe versio. Any hint on how I can get the 2.57 upgrade for the explorist500 LE?

Anyhelp would be great.

J

I also read somewhere that you can use the same serial number to register another 500, gaining access to the EU download...That's not how I did it, but you might try that route(?)

Thanks for the help. Got the eu sw.

OK - tip to the world.

Dont have an SD card in your 500 when trying to find the basemap.mgi and critmem.mem files. The PC will default looking to the SD card which will have nothing on it.

Edited by Jhawk0769

I also read somewhere that you can use the same serial number to register another 500, gaining access to the EU download...That's not how I did it, but you might try that route(?)

Thanks for the help. Got the eu sw. How do I find the basemap file to backup?

To do this I had to go into the Windows "My Computer" on the Start tab. When I connect my GPS it shows up as "E" drive. You'll see the contents of your GPS in there ( POI files, Geocache files, etc.. ) If you don't see the basemap file (NA one) in your GPS you'll have to set Windows to see hidden files. When you finally can find it just make a copy on your PC. After the new Euro FW is burned into your Magellan and you'll have to find the Euro basemap file in your GPS and delete it. Then drag in your old NA basemap file in it's place in the GPS.

Be aware that this doesn't work on all units.

Search the site for WAAS/Magellan threads for more details.

Im really starting to think I am inept.

I got the 5.2.57 sw.

I removed the SD card and backed up my BASEMAP file.

I ran the firmware updater.

It said it was successful.

I cycled power AND, I still have the same old version of fw in he unit (5.2.17).

So, I cleared all memory, reset the unit and tried again. Same result.

Help! anyone?

:)

Here's a copy of that info...Can't find the original post, but this was within another one

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;#entry3399161

Bottom line, it would appear that you can run the update to 2.57 IF you meet the following requirements:

1) You're running firmware 5.2.03 - not 5.2.17

2) You have a green printed circuit board beneath the battery.

3) Your serial number starts with a 118, or 0118. It *cannot* start with 133 or 0133, or you're screwed.

4) You must be using Windows XP or 2000 - NOT Vista

HOPE THIS HELPS

Thanks for this information. It brings me to the point to know I can go no further. I have ver 5.2.17 and SN starting with 0133. I tried back dating my firware to 5.2.03 and this doesn't work.

Thanks for the help and the time on this. You have saved me wasted additional time. Looks like I will be returning my GPS for a full refund.

J

The firmware is still on the magellan website but is called Explorist_500_2_57.zip and NOT

Explorist_500_2_57x.zip as stated in the URL on their site.

If anyone needs the firmware please PM me.

Cheers

Russ

PS I am still looking for the Mapsend UK Topo - If anyone is selling this software please let me know.

My Magellan 210 (1- 1 1/2 yrs old)is showing 135 & 138 and WAAS. Would the firmware update be worthwhile? I'm inclined to say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" , am I thinking right? I don't want to trash it yet!

I'd leave it...I found the additional nav screens to be just that...added, but not useful for me...I've turned 3/4 of them off, and I could do without the 4th. Maybe they will come in handy sometime, but unless you REALLY desire the speed info, etc, then I'd leave it alone.

I did the 2.57 update just for the WAAS capability, and it sounds like you've already got that. Good Luck.

I kinda felt like leaving it alone was the right thing.

Thanks, goodwrench00

Hi,

Can anyone point me in the direction of firmware 2.57 for the explorist 400. I checked the AU site but it only has 2.53. Cannot download from the magellan site because I dont have the eurpoean model. Man this is a hassle. Can anyone explain why I would have 120 and 138 and not 135 and 138 why would I have one and not both.

Thanks

the_fab_four

Hi,

Can anyone point me in the direction of firmware 2.57 for the explorist 400. I checked the AU site but it only has 2.53. Cannot download from the magellan site because I dont have the eurpoean model. Man this is a hassle. Can anyone explain why I would have 120 and 138 and not 135 and 138 why would I have one and not both.

Thanks

the_fab_four

I had the same problem because I had registered my Explorsit 400 as a NA product. They wouldn't let me download the software either. In one of these threads someone said you could re-register your unit (using same serial number as a EU unit. I had to use another email account to accomplish this. It worked though.

Note that I did have to use the serial # on the bottom of the box. The one on the unit's "about" screen was short two digits. (first and last missing---???) The internal serial # is what I originally registered my unit as NA. The box serial was allowed and EU upgrade appoved. This got my unit's WAAS sat's again and the extra screens.

1.) backup your basemap.

Well someone else sent me a pm with a link to the info elsewhere. I went through the process and did NOT get a brick. It appears to have worked and went smooth. :D I have yet to actually test it outside since I am at work. Will edit my post when I get a break to do so. Thanks everyone. I appreciate the help! :ph34r::P

Edit: Everything si working good now and I have WAAS again. Also I had sent a message to Magellan support on this like so many others and here was the reply, well what is pertinent to the WAAS issue anyway.

Regarding the WAAS Signal:

I request you to try restart the gps and place the unit in a wide open space.

It would be so nice to tell them that until they actually do something to support their products, and get out a firmware update to resolve the issue, i will be putting the check on "hold". If there was a way to do that I'm sure they would magically improve their support issues. whatever. Last magellan I will ever buy since they are so poor. Fool me once, shame on you, do it twice, shame on me. I certainly wont forget it.

I contacted Magellan via e-mail with this issues for 500's with sw ver 5.2.17. I thought I would share with everyone their "Unique" response.

"Dear John,

Your Email case XXXXXX has been Updated.

CaseID: XXXXXX

NOTE : KINDLY USE THE LINK GIVEN BELOW, TO SUBMIT ANY FURTHER QUERIES:

http://www.magellangps.com/support/

Thank you for contacting Magellan. This email is in response to your query

about the Explorist 500LE North America.

I apologize for the delay in replying to your email.

I understand from your mail that, your unit is not picking up WAAS signal. I

request you to try restart the gps and place the unit in a wide open space.

You can also contact our Technical Support at 1-800-707-9971 for further

assistance.

------------------------------------

Regards,

Magellan Email Support.

> The information transmitted in this email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If the reader of this email is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that your access is unauthorized, and any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message including any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer being used.

>

"

Nice to see I am treated as an individual :huh:

To everyone trying to upgrade to the 2.57 firmware

Below is the link I went to. You do not need to register as EU, and you do not need to have a EU basemap to get the 2.57 loaded. Just pick the link you want for your 500 and it will execute.

http://gpsinformation.org/perry/magellan/

Thank you,...THANK YOU KOOAID105~ :ph34r:

I had posted previously on this thread #69, where I had stated that "My latest XL addition had the older 9.1.04 firmware,....so following Magellan's upgrade instructions on their web page, cleared the memory and successfully uploaded the recommended 9.2.10 firmware and NOW MY XL WILL NOT REGISTER WASS IN THE ACCURACY BOX and now I am pissed. After the placing the two identical GPS sitting one foot apart for 30 minutes the WASS accuracy is down to 9 feet on my original XL and the one that I uploaded the9.2.10 that is now non WASS, is 23 feet EPE."

I found your link above and just thought what to hell and downloaded and installed the 2.57 firmware with out doing anything to the second XL other that just going to the file transfer mode and just down loaded from your link,...that is it, didn't worry about bricking the GPS, just did it. WOW it worked the revision is now 9.1.55 and no problems. I now get WASS the additional screens and I am now a happy camper. Thank you again.

WHY in the HELL can't Magellan just simply check into this and make it available from there official web site,...HMMMMMM !! IT SCREAMS at you MAGELLAN to do this,....PLEASE! :huh:

To everyone trying to upgrade to the 2.57 firmware

Below is the link I went to. You do not need to register as EU, and you do not need to have a EU basemap to get the 2.57 loaded. Just pick the link you want for your 500 and it will execute.

http://gpsinformation.org/perry/magellan/

Thank you,...THANK YOU KOOAID105~ :ph34r:

I had posted previously on this thread #69, where I had stated that "My latest XL addition had the older 9.1.04 firmware,....so following Magellan's upgrade instructions on their web page, cleared the memory and successfully uploaded the recommended 9.2.10 firmware and NOW MY XL WILL NOT REGISTER WASS IN THE ACCURACY BOX and now I am pissed. After the placing the two identical GPS sitting one foot apart for 30 minutes the WASS accuracy is down to 9 feet on my original XL and the one that I uploaded the9.2.10 that is now non WASS, is 23 feet EPE."

I found your link above and just thought what to hell and downloaded and installed the 2.57 firmware with out doing anything to the second XL other that just going to the file transfer mode and just down loaded from your link,...that is it, didn't worry about bricking the GPS, just did it. WOW it worked the revision is now 9.1.55 and no problems. I now get WASS the additional screens and I am now a happy camper. Thank you again.

WHY in the HELL can't Magellan just simply check into this and make it available from there official web site,...HMMMMMM !! IT SCREAMS at you MAGELLAN to do this,....PLEASE! :huh:

You are very fortunate, I am happy for you, and I am PO'd at Magellan.

Does anyone know why the 2.17 sw ver for the 500's with serial number starting 0133 will not allow the firmware to be upgraded to the 2.57?

I want to try something, and if anyone can help me I would appreciate it. I want the european Basemap and the critmem.mem files from a European 500 explorist. I also am trying to find an update to the Hidden Menu's for the 500.

I'm thinking that the firmware upgrade from 2.17 to 2.57 may have something to with keying off information on these two files. I am going to load them into the unit and retry the 2.57 upgrade.

Alternately, I want to see if I can get the Hidden Menus and potentially unlock the firmware v 2.17 if they implemented a firmware code to lock it, preventing anything but a specified future NA version from being upgraded to the unit.

Anyone have thought on this?

I believe that part of the reason the firmware from 2.17 to 2.57 does not work is the date on the revisions. It appears that the 2.17 firware was released in April 2007 where the 2.57 firmware was released in March 2007. I believe the firmware is designed in such a way that it will not allow you to "upgrade" a newer firmware with an older one. I could be wrong on that but I do believe I did see that somewhere.

If anyone has figured out a solution to this I'd really love to hear it as I am in the same boat.

Cheers!

Hi,

I am a little confused about the WAAS Sats. I have 120 and 138 are these the correct ones? And if not how come I am showing WAAS on my GPS Explorist 400 when I have it on.

Thanks

I had a very interesting discussion with Magellan today regarding the 500 I've been trying to get to work with WAAS. The tech rep informed me that ALL eXplorists are no longer WAAS compatible, even if WAAS shows up in your accuracy window. How did I get this information, I asked why my 210 still shows this and my 500 doesn't? Thats when the tech told me this.

After asking the representative why Magellan still advertises the unit as WAAS capable on their box and website if it isn't (mis leading and not as advertised), they offered me a free promotional trade in for a Triton 400.

Hmmmm.... do I trade or do I keep it?

I called magellan customer service about the brand new 400 I just got. They told me that the explorist series was made a legacy product in Jan 08 and would not have any more updates. She also stated the explorist series no longer supports WAAS and hasn't since "our" government changed satellites. I complained a little, ok more than a little, about the fact that the box, manual, and advertising for the 400 said it was WAAS capable. She then started saying how sorry Magellan felt about this problem and could offer me a brand new Triton 400, no charge. All I have to do is send in the explorist 400 when the Triton gets here. Was it a good decision to accept their offer? A Triton 400 ($189) for my explorist 400 ($89), plus I'm getting a unit with a color screen and will be able to get WAAS.

Was it a good decision to accept their offer? A Triton 400 ($189) for my explorist 400 ($89), plus I'm getting a unit with a color screen and will be able to get WAAS.

As of today it's probably a wash. The Explorist will be more stable right now. But in a year when they get all the bugs worked out the Triton will be a better unit. And as usual the Tech support people at magellan have their heads up you know where. Alot of the explorists were legacied (SP?) but not the 100, 210, 500 LE, 600, or XL. I just sent my Explorist 600 in for repairs and from everything I've seen around here I'll probably be getting a triton 500 back. So I'll be in the same boat as you if my triton is a dog. If you haven't already go to tritonforum.com and check out the info there.

Edited by sanramonhunter

Well I have read this topic twice from front to back and I have gained quite a bit of knowledge. I was totally unaware of the WAAS, or lack there of, issue. Now thanks to you very knowledgeable and helpfull folks I now have WAAS.

There is no doubt I couldn't/wouldn't have attempted this without the help from this forum.

Kudos to you all, Megellan shame on you.

Mudslinger2

I called magellan customer service about the brand new 400 I just got. They told me that the explorist series was made a legacy product in Jan 08 and would not have any more updates. She also stated the explorist series no longer supports WAAS and hasn't since "our" government changed satellites. I complained a little, ok more than a little, about the fact that the box, manual, and advertising for the 400 said it was WAAS capable. She then started saying how sorry Magellan felt about this problem and could offer me a brand new Triton 400, no charge. All I have to do is send in the explorist 400 when the Triton gets here. Was it a good decision to accept their offer? A Triton 400 ($189) for my explorist 400 ($89), plus I'm getting a unit with a color screen and will be able to get WAAS.

Did you send your 400 back for the Triton trade?

Im curious. I was offered the same deal, did not commit as I was thinking about it. I did not send it back, and they sent me the T400 anyway.

Edited by Jhawk0769