Caching with a Palm M500 or cheap PDA

Greenteacher

I've read in other parts of the forum that some people use a Palm M500 or other cheap PDA to go paperless. I've not used a Palm before and need some answers to questions, even if some of those questions are dumb. :P

1. Can you link up your information in your computer, particularly GSAK with the Palm M500?

2. Can you have XP on your computer and still work with the older Palm OS (operating system)?

3. Do you load programs like cachemate on your computer and then transfer them to your Palm, or what?

4. Can maps be loaded on the Palm M500, and if so, can things like a mapquest map page be sent over?

I'm sure there are dozens of more questions, but these are the basics. I need to know before trying to pick one up on Ebay tonight. Thanks.

The answer to your first three questions is "yes"

I don't know about putting maps on the M500. Maps take up a lot of memory. How much memory storage does the M500 have?

I use maps with my GPS and use my Palm iiiXE for storing cache page info sent from my computer through cachemate from GSAK. I don't have XP now, but I have used it in the past and it worked just fine with the Palm, GSAK, and cachemate.

If you don't have a palm already, but you have an iPod, there are several ways to get those cache pages to the iPod either as NOTES or CONTACTS. GPSBabel will do Contacts but it's a little messy since it mixes with your real contacts. As notes, there's a macro for GSAK or some stand alone programs like CacheMagnet.

http://www.gpsbabel.org/

http://gsak.net/

http://www.seedwiki.com/wiki/cachemagnet

The answer to your first three questions is "yes"

I don't know about putting maps on the M500. Maps take up a lot of memory. How much memory storage does the M500 have?

I use maps with my GPS and use my Palm iiiXE for storing cache page info sent from my computer through cachemate from GSAK. I don't have XP now, but I have used it in the past and it worked just fine with the Palm, GSAK, and cachemate.

I really appreciate your answer. I'm new to this - just been caching since last November, but have logged 84. It's so addictive!

Anyway, it has an SD card slot so I should be able to put a GB card in or maybe even more. I'll see if I can snag one. Thanks again! :P

If you don't have a palm already, but you have an iPod, there are several ways to get those cache pages to the iPod either as NOTES or CONTACTS. GPSBabel will do Contacts but it's a little messy since it mixes with your real contacts. As notes, there's a macro for GSAK or some stand alone programs like CacheMagnet.

http://www.gpsbabel.org/

http://gsak.net/

http://www.seedwiki.com/wiki/cachemagnet

Rattlebars, I don't have in IPOD so thought I'd try the Palm route. I've been doing the copy and paste thing to use less paper, but it's still wasteful and ink is so very $$$! I'm excited about working with a handheld.

If you haven't already started bidding on ebay for a Palm, you might want to try this link. One of our fellow cachers sells used Palms for a very good price, and (unlike ebay) if you have any questions about how to use it or set it up for caching he is very very helpful and knowledgeable. We bought a Palm m505 from him and are extremely satisfied.

For more than three years, I have been using a Palm m500 for caching with Cachemate installed on it. I have a 256 MB card in it, so I can store thousands of caches, in different databases in Cachemate. I don't believe the Palm m500 will accept a 1 GB card -- at least one a friend got wouldn't work with their Palm m500.

If you have a computer with Win XP Media Edition, the Palm Desktop and HotSync do not work. I take the card out and transfer the .pdb files directly. If I want to HotSync my Palm, I have to use my desktop computer that has Win2K Pro. As far as I know, the Palm Desktop works with "normal" WinXP and Vista.

Since my GPS unit has maps, I've not had a reason to put maps on the Palm m500. I'm not sure how well maps would work on that model since it doesn't have a very powerful processor, compared to newer, much more expensive PDAs.

From experience......

after getting your Palm, go here for any updates and the Palm Desktop and HotSync Manager software. Download and install latter.

go here if you want Cachemate installed on your palm. The cost is $8 US.

Drag and drop the system update (if any) into the hot sync icon and sync to install. Then do same with Cachemate. Seperate hot syncs installs assures the Palm will be updated before the Cachemate installs.

When installing any maps, keep them on the card due to the size of those files (Put cache info there if you wish also). When you drag them to the sync icon, you are given the option of where you wish them placed.

The Palm works just fine with XP Home Edition.

All I use to paperless cache is an old handspring visor and my etrex. I load the waypoints in my etrex and have them on my handspring in ebook format. I use an ebook reader and do a search for the waypoint to read up on the cache. When I find a cache, I open a memo called "found Caches" and add it too the list along with any notes. I have never really worried about having a map with me. If you do have to go on a hike, DO NOT FORGET TO MARK A WAYPOINT FOR YOUR CAR! I know this from experience and luckily I came out of the woods close to my car. Good luck and welcome to caching!