Mio P550 switches itself off

Delta68

This is just about doing my head in! :P

The other day the mio was left switched off but with Tomtom running (yes - it still runs when switched off) When I came to switch the Mio on the battery level warning showed and it didn't want to switch on even when I'd recharged it again.

This sounded just like the symptoms requiring the Mio P550 Power Patch So I installed it and things have now gone worse!

It all seems to run fine on the battery but if I plug in a power lead it switches off after a couple of seconds. If I'm using TomTom , however, it stays on OK but anything else, it switches itself off.

I have none of the power-saving settings set and this is really irritating me. Has anyone else had this problem? It does not seem possible to uninstall the patch either...

Thanks moote but I don't thin it's that. The Mio switches off after about five seconds but only when the power lead is plugged in.

I've reported it to miotech so hopefully they will have some answers. A quick search last night revealed a post on a forum by someone else having exactly the same problem a few months ago but had had no replies.

It worked fine up until last week. I could happily drive along with Memory Map running but now this is only possible if not plugged in - not an ideal situation as the battery will probably be flat when actually needed.

Thanks moote but I don't thin it's that. The Mio switches off after about five seconds but only when the power lead is plugged in.

I've reported it to miotech so hopefully they will have some answers. A quick search last night revealed a post on a forum by someone else having exactly the same problem a few months ago but had had no replies.

It worked fine up until last week. I could happily drive along with Memory Map running but now this is only possible if not plugged in - not an ideal situation as the battery will probably be flat when actually needed.

The memory which applications on the PPC run in is volatile, and that would require some power to maintain it within that memory, so although it looks like the PPC has gone off, all that has happened is the processor has stepped down it's power use to a lower level, and the backlight has turned off. There is still power being used to maintain the running applications in memory, and run the processor which is placed in a suspend state.

Not to mention that once the GPS is locked in that keeps going as well, even when suspended. Anyone found a way to turn it off to preserve battery life?

I either have mine plugged into the car or switched off at the main switch if it's not being used. It's a pain in the A to get out into the field and get the "battery low" warning. So I try to remember to fully charge it on a Friday before the weekend and then after each days caching.

...operative word here is "try".

Cust.

Not to mention that once the GPS is locked in that keeps going as well, even when suspended. Anyone found a way to turn it off to preserve battery life?

I either have mine plugged into the car or switched off at the main switch if it's not being used. It's a pain in the A to get out into the field and get the "battery low" warning. So I try to remember to fully charge it on a Friday before the weekend and then after each days caching.

...operative word here is "try".

Cust.

Ah it does not do that on mine, but I do not use the Microsoft GPS sharing, that might be the reason why.

The memory which applications on the PPC run in is volatile, and that would require some power to maintain it within that memory, so although it looks like the PPC has gone off, all that has happened is the processor has stepped down it's power use to a lower level, and the backlight has turned off. There is still power being used to maintain the running applications in memory, and run the processor which is placed in a suspend state.

Er.... but why is it doing it?

Why is it only doing it when plugged into a power lead? It seems illogical to me

Why is it fine when TomTom is running?

Er.... but why is it doing it?

Why is it only doing it when plugged into a power lead? It seems illogical to me

Why is it fine when TomTom is running?

Have you ever fully discharged your battery? Fully discharging LiIon batteries can cause some odd effects. and also ruins the battery.

Thanks for all the help moote!

Mio got back to me and suggested doing a hard reset as they recomend this after installing a patch. It's news to me!)

Done that and ... touch-wood... it seems ok now. I'm just going through the tedious process of setting it all back to how I like things... ;)