Newbie seeking reliable handheld unit, which one?

the jimmies

Hello evryone,

Our family is new to geocaching but have got the bug. We live in the UK and will be getting to within 400metres of caches using good, old fashioned Ordenance Survey maps so mapping is not needed.

My budget would be £80-£120 G.B. pounds, which seems to translate into the same number of dollars as far as what it will buy in the USA.

I'm looking for a unit which has the following features:

1) Good sensitivity

2) Reliable/rugged

3) showerproof ( we live in Scotland)

4) Has a "compass", desirable but not essential

5) Simple to operate

6) has an altimeter (not essential)

Really I'd like to be able just to punch in co-ordinates and have an arrow show me which way to go, and maybe beep when I get to my target area.

As you can tell I know nothing about these machines. I was tempted by the new Magellan Triton but have read bad reports. A SIMPLE user interface is a major requirement. Also the Garmin etrex seems OK but does it have a compass and altimetre?

Can any one recommend a unit which will meet our needs? thanks

daddy Jimmie

Hello evryone,

Our family is new to geocaching but have got the bug. We live in the UK and will be getting to within 400metres of caches using good, old fashioned Ordenance Survey maps so mapping is not needed.

My budget would be £80-£120 G.B. pounds, which seems to translate into the same number of dollars as far as what it will buy in the USA.

1) Good sensitivity

2) Reliable/rugged

5) Simple to operate

Really I'd like to be able just to punch in co-ordinates and have an arrow show me which way to go, and maybe beep when I get to my target area.

As you can tell I know nothing about these machines. I was tempted by the new Magellan Triton but have read bad reports. A SIMPLE user interface is a major requirement. Also the Garmin etrex seems OK but does it have a compass and altimetre?

daddy Jimmie

Sorry, but I've no suggestions as to receivers to buy, but 120 GBPS = about $233.46 @ this

moment.

Norm

Edited by RRLover

only the higher end units have both an altimeter and electronic compass (Garmin vista Hcx, GPSMAP 60 Csx). Both retail for around $250-300 and up depending on availaility. I believe the Garmin Etrex H has all the basics for a low price (~$99).

I currently use a Garmin GPSMAP 60C with maps loaded on it. When I get close to a cache I use a regular compass from about 30m out. I get the bearing from my GPS unit and just eyeball my target. Seems to work pretty well since the readings sometimes bounce a lot.

I hope this helps!

You can find a factory refurbished Garmin Geko 301 for $79 + shipping on ebay, BUT it only ships to the Americas. Great little basic GPS with electronic compass and altimeter. I got one from this company for my son to use when geocaching. The company sent it and it works just fine!

Maybe you can contact them and make special arrangements to ship overseas.

Their direct web site is http://www.edgegps.com

Edited by kenk

Thanks for the helpful advice folks,

What I meant about the prices was that what I can buy for £100 here in the UK, you can buy for 100 dollars in the US. US prices are much cheaper, hence I an looking at models that US people would buy for 120 bucks.

Useful info. An electronic compass is not a big deal for me if it adds too much cost.

I seem to be narrowing it down to a Garmin eTrex H or Gecko 301.

Wul

Hello evryone,

1) Good sensitivity

2) Reliable/rugged

5) Simple to operate

daddy Jimmie

I would suggest Legend HCx or Vista HCx (compass, barometric altimeter). Both are color units and trust me, I was there, a touch of color is big difference comparing to B&W.

Beside being great GPSrs they provide mapping ability which is very handy. Even if you spend all the time in the woods eventually you will go on the road and you will appreciate autorouting and other mapping features. Yes, it is more money but cut smoking, booze and women and voila – here are the moneys!

Really.... Any of the Garmin etrex "H" models will do.

A compass or altimeter are of little to no use with these units.

So the etrex H for around $100 or venture HC for $150 which add mapping capability and USB connection. Either will do for what you ask and be as sensitive and accurate as ANY GPS made, regardless of price.

Thanks,

I think I'll go for a Garmin eTrexH. I can't justify spending £200 on a unit with colour and mapping and I already have a compass.

I worry that some of the latest models are not yet user feiendly enough for me. Seem to be prone to glitches and bugs. Also I'd resent paying £100 for a map card when I've already got so many paper O.S. maps.

I'm a bit worried by folk saying that the only use the GPS tto get within 100feet of the cache. I reckon I can get to within 150 feet with a map, but then so far I've only looked for caches which are near good landmarks, like view points and hill tops. It would be a different matter in the middle of a moor.

Hmmmm......

Really.... Any of the Garmin etrex "H" models will do.

A compass or altimeter are of little to no use with these units.

So the etrex H for around $100 or venture HC for $150 which add mapping capability and USB connection. Either will do for what you ask and be as sensitive and accurate as ANY GPS made, regardless of price.

There were some '"filter"issues with the H line last year when they came out. Have they been resolved with the latest firmware? How's the new chipset compared to the SiRFIII?

Thanks,

I think I'll go for a Garmin eTrexH. I can't justify spending £200 on a unit with colour and mapping and I already have a compass.

I worry that some of the latest models are not yet user feiendly enough for me. Seem to be prone to glitches and bugs. Also I'd resent paying £100 for a map card when I've already got so many paper O.S. maps.

I'm a bit worried by folk saying that the only use the GPS tto get within 100feet of the cache. I reckon I can get to within 150 feet with a map, but then so far I've only looked for caches which are near good landmarks, like view points and hill tops. It would be a different matter in the middle of a moor.

Hmmmm......

Jimmies: First of all congratulations on the family's interest and enthusiasm with regard to Geocaching. My family took to it as well. My youngest Grand Son can't wait until the week-ends roll around so that we can go out and find some booty. (We take and we leave).

Your comment ---> "I think I'll go for a Garmin eTrexH."

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I am using a Vista HCx. I regularly get within 3 meters of the cache. Yes, 3 meters. The Vista HCx is a little more than the eTrexH, because of the color screen and a few other things, but you'll be more than happy with your choice. Go for it and let us know how you make out.

The nice thing with getting a new unit, is tht you can always upgrade once you decide it's necessary, (if ever).

Happy Caching and keep us posted!

G