Where are the most remote caches?

Hobo2

I'll start if off. GCZG1K was published Nov 23 2006, but hasn't had a FTF yet... very cool!

It's not that unusually if you look at some of the caches in Africa. For example, GCJVAZ in Zimbabwe was placed on in April, 2004 and has not yet been found. Go to the "Hide and Seek a Cache" page then try selecting caches by country. You'll find quite a few countries on the list which have no caches at all. Zimbabwe has 13 caches and only 7 of them have been found. I found the one at Victoria Falls in November and was within a mile of another that hadn't been found yet but couldn't really get near it.

Someone once posted a picture of the most remote spot in the lower 48, meaning the furthest from a road. Someplace in Idaho, I think. Can't remember if it was an area that allows geocaches.

Actually in Wyoming - near a place called Throughfare Cabin. It is a wilderness area in the National Forest - so no caching.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...5a-5daa33bce3b5

this is one of the oldest unfound caches in Ontario. people have tried but can't get there. Others wonder if it is there or not.

From what I read, it doesn't sound like the owner is willing to help on this one. Maybe the owner has quit, or maybe he never placed it at all, ether way, from the looks of it it looks like an archive is in order on that one.

Actually in Wyoming - near a place called Throughfare Cabin. It is a wilderness area in the National Forest - so no caching.

Niel Armstrong was asked, "what was it like to be on the moon". His reply was, "have you ever stood in the middle of Wyoming on a clear night". I know what you are saying, my family is from Wyoming, I know it well.

Edited by Hobo2

I'll start if off. GCZG1K was published Nov 23 2006, but hasn't had a FTF yet... very cool!

Try GC15D (zero finds)

There are a few remote caches that i've had on my watchlist:

Anasazi Ruins (40 miles R/T hike deep within the Grand Canyon)

Gem & Estelle....2 Lakes At Once

Labyrinth (Egypt)

Rainbow Hydrothermal Vents (arguably the remotest place on Earth) middle of the ocean, and 7500 feet deep.

Very, Very, cool. On one of the logs someone gave reference to GC15D. It has now been over 6 years and still no FTF for this cache.

Edited by Hobo2

This is one of the really remote caches around.

Another Read the cache description for an idea of how remote this one really is.

These caches are not under water or in freezing enviroments, they are just so far off the beaten track that not many people can get them. These tracks are not to be travelled lightly. Every year a few people die while trying to traverse them (under prepared tourists)

Hopefully next year....

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...5a-5daa33bce3b5

this is one of the oldest unfound caches in Ontario. people have tried but can't get there. Others wonder if it is there or not.

From what I read, it doesn't sound like the owner is willing to help on this one. Maybe the owner has quit, or maybe he never placed it at all, ether way, from the looks of it it looks like an archive is in order on that one.

the owner only has one find. the general concencus is that the cache was never put out. One cacher had a thought to make a group trip Via Helicopter to go anad get it. We figure we we get enough people to share the cost of chartering the helicopter it could work.

Recently, a brain surgeon and a rocket scientist took a hike to the top of Mt Hood, in the winter with a storm coming. The only bright thing was that they brought a cell phone. They got near the top and the storm hit. They were in white-out conditions and tried to dig a snow cave. They had no idea where they were when they called for help. While digging the snow cave they found a geocache which had the coordinates on it which assisted greatly to their survival.

Recently, a brain surgeon and a rocket scientist took a hike to the top of Mt Hood, in the winter with a storm coming. The only bright thing was that they brought a cell phone. They got near the top and the storm hit. They were in white-out conditions and tried to dig a snow cave. They had no idea where they were when they called for help. While digging the snow cave they found a geocache which had the coordinates on it which assisted greatly to their survival.

At least get your story straight...

hawaii is the worlds most remote POPULATED land mass....we have 783 caches here...so they are technically all pretty remote......however.....according to radio australias website:

A panel of experts has identified the island nation of Kiribati as the world's most remote location.

Researchers, including cartographers and explorers, who were commissioned by Disney to carry out the study to mark the DVD release of 'Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End', chose Kiribati on the basis of its isolation, unusual location and unpredictable weather conditions.

The island nation is more than 14 hours by plane and more than 2,500 miles from the nearest land mass.

Other locations considered in the course of the research included the Bermuda Triangle, Cape Horn and the North Pole.

i suppose any caches near there would be considered the MOST remote

see: GC10N0F, GCHRF0 and GCHRJB

these are on Fanning Island......part of Kiribati....they all have recent finds.....most remote perhaps but not the most difficult.

This cache, GC8801, is one of mine. It has been found 16 times in the last 6 years. It requires a 700' climb, of which the last 300' there is not trail. When you get to the cache you are standing on top of a large stone arch. It is not as remote as some caches listed, but it is still pretty challenging.

Wow! The above post is a GREAT lesson in how to totally mess up (i.e., confabulate) almost every single fact associated with a story, yet manage to leave the mangled tale in a shapet so that it is barely recognizable, that is, so that it can nonetheless be used to find the original tale, which happens to be radically different.

I'd like to see the most remote caches. I've done some looking, but I'm sure there are more. I'd like to see the most far away form civilization cache that has ever placed... if there is one that could claim that distinction.

There are a few in West Virginia, which is a wild and wooly nation (it was once a state in the USA, until the federal government realized how dangerous and primitive the place was) located not far from my home state of Maryland. I am not sure if any of the caches in that country there have ever been found, however, because, according to Weekly World News and the National Inquirer, the natives of the sparsely-populated West Virginia are a primitive, violent, vicious and dangerous lot, and they would likely cannibalize any cache hunters whom they were to come across.

:blink:

:)