60CX rubber buttons wearing off

Suscrofa

On my 60Cx bought June 2006, 10 month after purchase the rubber buttons started to wear off, not even were I push it, besides I never use my nails. It is now quite bad, but funny enough it is only the IN and OUT QUIT, ENTER and rocker.

On the other hand FIND, MARK, PAGE MENU button are still OK. And PAGE is as often used then the QUIT.

It is definitevely a problem with workmanship.

I logged the issue with Garmin and they ask me to contact the Europeean support as I leave in France. I called them but although they are OK to replace it under warranty (2 years in Europe), my GPS beeing a US model (bought in the US) the warranty is only one year and so expired.

Do any of you experienced the same issue ?. How did Garmin handled it ?

I am OK to get the rubber buttton pad and replace it myself, I am quite good at fixing thing and I will avoid having to part from my GPS I use often.

Any idea ? Thanks

On my 60Cx bought June 2006, 10 month after purchase the rubber buttons started to wear off, not even were I push it, besides I never use my nails. It is now quite bad, but funny enough it is only the IN and OUT QUIT, ENTER and rocker.

On the other hand FIND, MARK, PAGE MENU button are still OK. And PAGE is as often used then the QUIT.

It is definitevely a problem with workmanship.

I logged the issue with Garmin and they ask me to contact the Europeean support as I leave in France. I called them but although they are OK to replace it under warranty (2 years in Europe), my GPS beeing a US model (bought in the US) the warranty is only one year and so expired.

Do any of you experienced the same issue ?. How did Garmin handled it ?

I am OK to get the rubber buttton pad and replace it myself, I am quite good at fixing thing and I will avoid having to part from my GPS I use often.

Any idea ? Thanks

When I called Garmin, just over a year ago, I was told pretty much what you were: The warranty period was one year, and if I sent the unit in before that one year was up, they would refurbish the unit for free. After the one year, the cost would be approximately $175. Mine was *just* out of warranty and I didn't see the $175 as money well spent.

I have been considering sending the unit it, but still see the money as an issue, especially considering that I can get a brand new unit, owners manual, etc. for about $300 today.

Tell me what you know about the button pad, where you get one, what it costs, etc. please. I would be interested in doing this myself as well.

At some places you can buy dummy units (Cases without the electronics inside). You just have to open the unit and switch the electronics from case to case.

dummy1zg6.jpg

There were a place in Quebec (Horizons Nord Sud) where you can buy some, but as for the US I don't know. Good luck!

What do you use to seal the rubber around the top and the arial to ensure waterproffness

regards

I'd like to have an answer for you, however I didn't buy a dummy. I found pics on a Quebec forum.

I'll ask your question there, and I'll come back with an answer. :P

But my guess would be that you just have to screw.

If you look closely at the pic you can see the gasket on the back plate. Screw it together carefully, so as not to strip or cross thread and you are done. *There will be soldering required to complete the swap

Edited by soryu2222

I'd like to have an answer for you, however I didn't buy a dummy. I found pics on a Quebec forum.

I'll ask your question there, and I'll come back with an answer. :o

But my guess would be that you just have to screw.

If you look closely at the pic you can see the gasket on the back plate. Screw it together carefully, so as not to strip or cross thread and you are done. *There will be soldering required to complete the swap

Yes I accept that there is a rubber gasket on the back plate :blink: BUT the tube the Aerial sits in is just that a tube that is open and the rubber that sits over the top of the GPSr makes the seal over said tube, That is the area that need sticking therefor the question is

What type of glue etc should one use