adding GPS to my laptop

topflitejr1

I want to use my laptop for Benchmarking/Geocaching and as an Auto Navigator. is there a PCI card or other hardware and software that will allow me to do both?

I think there is crucial information missing from this question.

The most common Garmin-centric solution would be to get a handheld GPSr, cable it to the PC, and install something like CN (or hacked MG) and freeware nRoute. The cable for USB models is a standard mini USB.

If you have something else in mind, pls flesh it out.

There are lots of devices that would work for you. You need to decide how much you want to spend on the GPS hardware and whether or not you need 3rd party maps.

There are devices that will plug into the laptop and others that can use Bluetooth wireless connections. Bluetooth is handy as it allows the laptop to be positioned where you can access it and the GPS reciever can be placed on the dash or rear parcel shelf to get the best reception.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Microsoft Streets and Trips but I have never used it. Delorme also makes a decent package for the laptop.

I want to use my laptop for Benchmarking/Geocaching and as an Auto Navigator. is there a PCI card or other hardware and software that will allow me to do both?

I would get a cheap handheld GPS, with a serial or USB port, and then mapping software for the laptop, such as DeLorme's Street Atlas USA (about half the price of mapping software for the GPS). I would NOT use the laptop for geocaching. That's got BAD IDEA written all over it. Unless you want a broken laptop. And most laptop screen are very difficult to read in direct sunlight. And the battery life will leave you disappointed.

Plug the GPS into the laptop. Load up the map program, and you've got a navigation system. Unplug the handheld GPS and use it for geocaching.

Obviously, you'll need to do a little research to make sure everything's going to work together.

Edited by Prime Suspect

I would get a cheap handheld GPS, with a serial or USB port, and then mapping software for the laptop, such as DeLorme's Street Atlas USA (about half the price of mapping software for the GPS). I would NOT use the laptop for geocaching. SNIP

One thing to look at is whether the laptop has a serial port or not. Some gps units use a serial connection so that if the laptop doesn't have one you'll need a USB to serial converter.

Agreed on the no-geocaching with laptop comment.

Agreed on the no-geocaching with laptop comment.

Another vote on this. Laptop is handy in the vehicle for seeing when a cache is near, and finding a vehicle access close to it (requires importing caches into map program), but once parked only the GPSr needs to go with you. I believe this is what you had in mind. Keep in mind that if the laptop is visible in a parked vehicle, you are a prime candidate for break-in.

I used a laptop hooked to a Garmin 12XL to guide me down all 2400+ miles of Route 66 in 2002. I mostly used 1:100000 digital raster graphic topographic map images. However, serial is basically "so 20th century."

Now I would recommend buying an inexpensive bluetooth GPS as your dedicated laptop GPS. You won't need any cables as long as you have a Bluetooth enabled laptop. The GPS units are the size of matchboxes now. Semsons, a good company, has many BT GPSs on sale right now.

Most of these come with both home and car chargers. My i-Blue 737, with its MTK chipset, is excellent and it works well with my MacGPS Pro software on my Mac.

GpsPasSion has great reviews on most of these models, just do a search. They have an index of GPS reviews that leads to excellent review articles.

Parsa

Thank you all for your excellent and informative responses. I like Prime Suspect's idea on leaving the laptop in the car and taking the hanheld into the field and I will hide the laptop when away from the vehicle. I usually can park close to the BM when using my 4X jeep anyway. I have also come across the Magellan Crossover, which seems to do everything I want. I'll have to look into it further. Any hands-on reviews out there? Thanks again all!