Japan

mbaseman

I was geocaching in Japan last year and I have a Garmin 60cx and downloaded some free maps similar to the ones on the link below.

http://www.malsingmaps.com/wiki/index.php/Garmin_GPS_maps

The link I used is no longer available. but these maps work with mapsource. mostly detailed for Toyko. Which is a awsome city to explore and cache.

three of us had garmin 60cx's and one legend c and we did not have to change any setting they all worked fine.

We did about 32 caches in tokyo and the mt fuji virtual.

I was geocaching in Japan last year and I have a Garmin 60cx and downloaded some free maps similar to the ones on the link below.

http://www.malsingmaps.com/wiki/index.php/Garmin_GPS_maps

The link I used is no longer available. but these maps work with mapsource. mostly detailed for Toyko. Which is a awsome city to explore and cache.

three of us had garmin 60cx's and one legend c and we did not have to change any setting they all worked fine.

We did about 32 caches in tokyo and the mt fuji virtual.

I currently live in Okinawa Japan running a 76CSX (from the US) and I have not one problem. As previous poster stated, G is for global and they work world wide. All of the data on the GC website sends right to it with either mapsource or GSAK (and im sure others).

You can get decent maps for free online or email me and I will try to send links. Also, they have english maps of Japan for sale that are routeable and non-routeable. I just bought the routeable maps and love them. if you need any info on it, email me.

I'm a newbie and want to know if there are any special GPS settings I need to be concerned about when Geochaching in Japan. I bought my GPS in the US.

Your gps will work anywhere on the planet as long as you have good reception. Depending on where your going to go you may have some issues though... In Tokyo & Osaka for instance you will often have signal error due to the receive signals bouncing off of the tall buildings in certain areas (downtown). In Okinawa and other wooded areas signal reception can be limited due to the overhead brush (trees). If you have a mapping device like the Garmin 60 or 76 then adding the maps which other people have noted can be helpful. Just keep in mind that those maps are in no way perfect so you might find yourself off course on roads or near the sea when you use the map functions.

Have fun,

nivad :D