magellan crossover

cox_rango

anyone else using this one?

got mine for my bday and i love it

only issue i have is only being able to zoom into a 1":200' ratio in the outdoors mode

I've had mine since it was first introduced. Love it for driving. It's a little complicated to transfer cache files, you have to convert them first. The biggest dissapointment is that there are still no topo maps availabe and the topo basemap is not adequately detailed. Also, it's really not waterproof enough for serious trail or marine use. If you put it in a dry box it's bulky and you can't operate the touchscreen. Other than that it's great:) Seriously, had I not purchased it I would never have known how much I would use a streets GPS.

only issue i have is only being able to zoom into a 1":200' ratio in the outdoors mode

I've had mine since it was first introduced. Love it for driving. It's a little complicated to transfer cache files, you have to convert them first. The biggest dissapointment is that there are still no topo maps availabe and the topo basemap is not adequately detailed. Also, it's really not waterproof enough for serious trail or marine use. If you put it in a dry box it's bulky and you can't operate the touchscreen. Other than that it's great:) Seriously, had I not purchased it I would never have known how much I would use a streets GPS.

ive just been inputting waypoints manually, i still need to get an SD card writer to actaully upload them all at once

yeah the ipx4 rating does kinda limit its use, but for what i do and where it sits in my jeep it'll only get lightly splashed once in awhile if that, and thats only if my doors are off

yeah the light topo that it has, is just that LIGHT, very very light lol

I'm on a Mac so I had to borrow a PC laptop to get set. The conversion software only works with the geocaching.com file format that requires the paid membership. I downloaded about 30 at a time and converted them on the PC. Much faster than manual. I had a service rep talk me through it - it was definitely NOT straight forward. I already had an Explorist 500 so I had the topo software. Unfortunately it doesn't work with the Crossover. So I load the cache files onto both and depend on the little Explorist for detail.

I'm on a Mac so I had to borrow a PC laptop to get set. The conversion software only works with the geocaching.com file format that requires the paid membership. I downloaded about 30 at a time and converted them on the PC. Much faster than manual. I had a service rep talk me through it - it was definitely NOT straight forward. I already had an Explorist 500 so I had the topo software. Unfortunately it doesn't work with the Crossover. So I load the cache files onto both and depend on the little Explorist for detail.

Get GSAK, a free and very useful utility. Even though GSAK doesn't specifically have a Crossover menu selection you can choose the Explorist selection to create files that the Crossover can handle. You can dowload the .loc files for free from geocaching.com and covert them into waypoints for the Crossover.

I like mine a lot for vehicle nav. For outdoor mode, I purchased the topo maps of western Canada for $50..... The topo maps look great, but I find the crossover a pain for anything other than vehicle nav.

What I dislike for outdoor mode - It's bulky! Too bukly, not comfortable in my hands at all. I generally like to have my GPS in my coat pocket or pants pocket (cargo pants). Can't do that well with this GPS. Of course, the size is a good thing for vehicle use.

My other dislike is the often complained about problem where it cancels navigation when you get near your destination. Both in vehicle and outdoor modes.

Getting into this conversation a little late.

I have had this unit as a 2200T-NA since last Sept 2007 - I upgraded it to a Crossover and have used the Full Topo Canada CD with my unit. It will aslo work with maps from Topo 3D USA.

I found that alot of the earlier issue when it first came out have need resolved via firmware updates.

I have updated it to firmware 2.36 which was part of the New Veh Nav map update.

As an Outdoor unit I find that it meets my needs. Yes it does cancel nav automatically when still approx 30 meters from target but when in Map view you can still see your cursor and waypoint on the map and moved accordingly.

I have found most of the Topo Canada Topo grapphice features and displayed roads to be very accurate in the areas I have explored so far. These have been confined to the Ottawa area as well as Sault Saint Marie and the Road (Trans Canada Hwy 17) in between both cities. Rivers, lakes, valley's etc allong the route where spot on.

I have also acquired Direct Route Europe and have generated three Maps that cover the UK. I am looking forward to using those in my unit overthere.

The "hold" feature not only disables the screen but it also turns it off and allows storing the unit while still keeping it on for "tracking" purposes. I agree that there is no place for a lanyard but I plan on gluing an eyelet on it soon.

You cannot change the datum which is wgs 84 and the compass is set to magnetic North - but that is okay in my opinion because with the Topo map display you get a reference to where you are in relationship to the terrain and you could probably apply these to a physical topo map just by doing a visual comparrison between the two. Am I correct with this assumption? I guess if the terrain was very plain and lacking in features then it could get a little dicy. With the Gps map though you can zoom out and pan probably farther that your physical map to assess your location.

With non mapping GPSr you do not have this reference unless you match the datum setting of the map and try and match up the co-ordinate readings.

The only other hitch would be the inability to swap out batteries if out on the trail beyond the 8hr battery time limit. If combined with an inexpensive non mapping handheld "AA" battery powered unit this would be an awesome combo.

By the way the 2.14 firmware update really makes the Vehicle Nav side rock. I have installed my caches as an enhanced POI file as well as having them as waypoints in the outdoor side and I can just switch between the two modes Veh Nav and Outdoor app to finish the job.

John

I have had this unit as a 2200T-NA since last Sept 2007 - I upgraded it to a Crossover and have used the Full Topo Canada CD with my unit. It will aslo work with maps from Topo 3D USA.

..snip...

John

So how do you get 3D Topo to work with the Crossover???

..snip...

John

Nevermind - I figured it out. Dropped the first and last numbers from the serial no. that Mapsend asks for, just like the Explorist.

Edited by Warriorrider

Bought my 2200T-NA last Sept (2007) and upgraded it to the Crossover 4 days later.

I now have the New Map Update V2 for the Crossover version - worked like a charm. I did it just to see if it would work as Magellan claimed it would not. Just like they have calimed that their CD versions of there Mapping software won't work. NOT!

If it works with an Explorer it will work with the Crossover.

It appears that these maps may work with the new Triton. I gen'ed a small sample for some one to try and they claimed it loaded. If anyone wants a sample just contact me via email.

I have Topo 3D USA, Topo Canada, DirectRoute North America, Direct Route Europe. Mapsend lite allows swapping out between apps and uploading Tracks, Routes and waypoints.

I added two little eyelets to the top with expoxy cement and now can attach a lanyard for safety.

Edited by Ezeechair

..snip...

John

Just use the s/n of the GPS unit when genning a map. If you have reached the S/N limit just un-install and re-install the Topo 3D USA ver .o and it reset the s/n limitation count.

for the serial Number I just drop the leading zero and I never get asked for the last number. The maps come out as xxxx.imi maps - just place them in a folder of your choice on the SD card and go to region and select it.

This unit will work with Topo 3D USA ver 1, Topo Canada Ver 1, DirectRoute North America Ver 1 and Direct Route Europe Ver 2.00. These also work with my explorist 500.

I was able to increase the number of maps being processed at one time as well as doubling the map region size from 64 megs to 128 megs by fudging the mapsend.ini file. Just do the math 1024 x 128 = 131072.

Buy the way these work fine on both units and allow a greater map coverage for one load.

John