Personal Locater Beacons

imajeep

I'm thinking about getting a 406 mHz Personal Locater Beacon. Does anyone have any experience with these? Any recommendations? I've also seen the SPOT Sattelite Personal Messenger. Any thoughts about using one of these, rather than a 406 mHz PLB? Thanks.

Check out Equipped.org for pretty good reviews of both PLBs and the SPOT Sattelite Messenger.

Be careful, though. I got turned onto that site from the "wilderness survival" thread here and have spent as much time there as here of late. Preparedness can be addictive.

I may be able to answer my own question. I found a pretty good review of SPOT and a comparison to 406 MHz PLBs here. Bottom line seems to be that SPOT may have issues in canyons or under tree cover. 406 MHzPLBs appear to be more reliable in these situations. As to cost, over a five-year useful life, the SPOT costs about the same as a 406 MHz PLB.

The only upside SPOT has on any other PLB is your position can be updated to a website. The other PLBs are strictly for rescue.

I take it back, it looks like there's another SPOT like PLB now. The above link has it in a review.

Nevermind, the way I read the review, it is an FRS toy that will be dangerously relied upon by the ignorant who fail to read the fine print, the manual, or the small tag on the keychain.

Edited by TotemLake

I found this review of SPOT in GPS Magazine:

SPOT Satellite Messenger Personal Tracker Review

Verdict: Unique Features. A Great Idea. Not Sensitive Enough.

Kind of a shame. I really like SPOT's 'Check In' feature. But if I take a fall in a canyon and break my leg, I'm going to need the most reliable transmitter I can get. From that perspective, 406 MHz PLBs appear to have a real advantage.

Edited by imajeep

I may be able to answer my own question. I found a pretty good review of SPOT and a comparison to 406 MHz PLBs here. Bottom line seems to be that SPOT may have issues in canyons or under tree cover. 406 MHzPLBs appear to be more reliable in these situations. As to cost, over a five-year useful life, the SPOT costs about the same as a 406 MHz PLB.

I compared these a few months ago. There are several 406MHz PLBs now in the $400-$450 range (example 1, example 2). Once you add the $100/yr subscription ($150/yr if you want the tracking feature as well) to the SPOT service to the $150 price for the SPOT device itself, the SPOT ends up costing the same as a low-end PLB after only 2.5-3yrs. A rugged electronic device like a PLB should really last 10yrs or more with reasonable care. After 10yrs (if the SPOT service is even still around, since it's a private, proprietary system) the SPOT ends up costing $1150-$1650 while your PRB was still only $400-$450.

Thanks, that's helpful. I have also learned to be careful when selecting among several different PLBs. The low-end models don't have built-in GPS. The PLB satellites can still triangulate, so you will still get help. But the consensus seems to be that a unit with built-in GPS will get help faster. Probably also a good idea to make sure a GPS-enabled PLB has a high-sensitivity GPS chip, like the SIRF 3.

I compared these a few months ago. There are several 406MHz PLBs now in the $400-$450 range (example 1, example 2). Once you add the $100/yr subscription ($150/yr if you want the tracking feature as well) to the SPOT service to the $150 price for the SPOT device itself, the SPOT ends up costing the same as a low-end PLB after only 2.5-3yrs. A rugged electronic device like a PLB should really last 10yrs or more with reasonable care. After 10yrs (if the SPOT service is even still around, since it's a private, proprietary system) the SPOT ends up costing $1150-$1650 while your PRB was still only $400-$450.

Standard PLBs such as the ones you point out here are strictly last resort PLBs. Their only function in life is to be a last resort call for help. There is no other device that operates in the same capacity as the SPOT. The comparisons I'm seeing so far is like comparing TIVO PVR with it's subscription based service to a VCR. The SPOT looks to be like a personal homing device to post on the web by subscription first and be a PLB second.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not dissing the standard PLB. They do their job as designed and they do it well.

The SPOT looks to fill a void where the standard PLB fails to do so. To give comfort to folks at home while I'm off on a hike that takes me out of cellular reach. For my not too far in the future multi-day hike, this seems like worth the cost to me. Bearing in mind this is a first version of its kind, I'm interested to see what the next generation has in store for when I'm ready for my multi-day hike.

I spent quite some time reading about a few of them at equipped.org, interesting, and one was almost scary - the TracMe, so easily mistaken for what it can do. I think this one is geared to sell more to mass retail market, it does look like something you would see in a big sports store (like Sports Authority, Dicks, Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc...) and the makers refusal to clarify its use/capabilities on it packages is scary for this type of product. It only transmits a verbal call, NOT location, NOT user ID, like a PLB. The SPOT seems OK but the parent company has a few issues, and it they seem to elaborate its uses and capabilities a bit better (stressing "messenger")

If I were in need of these things, I think I would go with a common PLB/ EPIRB or the SPOT. I also think the TracMe is a false sense of security and not endorsed, recommended or possible to respond to by the average SAR unit. I mean; what am I supposed to do? carry Radio Direction Finding gear while in the saddle? or just get to listen to "Help...Emergency" every 15 seconds or so? and ride around trying to loose and find the signal to find it? wouldnt a better search pattern or ground tracking be more efficient?

I would warn off anyone to TracMe and even "enlighten" the people in the stores that sell these things. I kinda get the feel that it is like those "miracle wieght loss pills" ya know the one that just changes its name to escape lawsuits. By the time it goes badly they made thier cash and already have dashed.

Stick with the proven tech I say.

Edited by KidRipley

One thing you need to ask yourself will be how often are you going to be in a situation where you might need one. PLB's can be rented, I'm making plans for a hiking/Geocaching vacation this summer and will probably rent one for the one week I would really need it.

So instead of purchasing you could rent it if you spend some time in a remote area.

For most of my hiking needs I carry one of these, which can be heard from a distance of one mile. No batteries or subscriptions required.

Edited by magellan315

Standard PLBs such as the ones you point out here are strictly last resort PLBs. Their only function in life is to be a last resort call for help. There is no other device that operates in the same capacity as the SPOT. The comparisons I'm seeing so far is like comparing TIVO PVR with it's subscription based service to a VCR. The SPOT looks to be like a personal homing device to post on the web by subscription first and be a PLB second.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not dissing the standard PLB. They do their job as designed and they do it well.

The SPOT looks to fill a void where the standard PLB fails to do so. To give comfort to folks at home while I'm off on a hike that takes me out of cellular reach. For my not too far in the future multi-day hike, this seems like worth the cost to me. Bearing in mind this is a first version of its kind, I'm interested to see what the next generation has in store for when I'm ready for my multi-day hike.

I can see that--it would be nice if GPS units has the 'check in' feature.

One thing you need to ask yourself will be how often are you going to be in a situation where you might need one. PLB's can be rented, I'm making plans for a hiking/Geocaching vacation this summer and will probably rent one for the one week I would really need it.

So instead of purchasing you could rent it if you spend some time in a remote area.

For most of my hiking needs I carry one of these, which can be heard from a distance of one mile. No batteries or subscriptions required.

Good point--In my case, I do a dozen solo hikes a year where I'd feel better having one of these along, particularly in desert conditions. But if you only do a hike or two off the beaten track, renting is definitely the way to go.

I really like the SPOT, but I think I'm going to go with a PLB. The current SPOT doesn't have a high-sensitivity receiver (at leat according to this review). I really like SPOT's non-emergency notification features, but if I get into trouble, there's a 50-50 chance I'm going to be under forest canopy or in a canyon. Given that, SPOT comes up short as a substitute for a PLB.

Obviously, I could carry both, a PLB for emergencies, and a SPOT for check-ins. I don't like that idea, given the expense and the hassle of having another gizmo to carry along when I go out.

The SPOT is a very new device, and what I'm really hoping is that the manufacturer upgrades its GPS chip to SIRFstar III or one of the newer high-sensitivity chips out there. So, I may hold off for a while to see if that happens.

Edited by imajeep

I'm thinking about getting a 406 mHz Personal Locater Beacon. Does anyone have any experience with these? Any recommendations? I've also seen the SPOT Sattelite Personal Messenger. Any thoughts about using one of these, rather than a 406 mHz PLB? Thanks.

well, for what it's worth, i bought the spot, as it makes for an easy way for people to track you.

you can set up a link to a web page, and anyone you give the link to can view where you are

at. you can set it to track your progress, as well as call for non emergency assistance, and

the 911 disaster button is always there... it's brightly colored, and i went to home depot and

got a klein large cellphone holster which holds the unit nicely, and is nondescript.

so someone always knows where i'm at, and if i don't show up, they know were to look....

if there are a string of way points on a map... well, let's start looking near the last one, vern...

leaving a trail of breadcrumbs, and all...

sensitivity could be better. the unit sends three pulses for each geo position fix, so one of them

is likely to get thru. turn the puppy on in tracking mode when you leave for the day, and leave it

run.

a regular beacon is an all or nothing proposition. cause pushing the big red button out in the middle of nowhere can lead to a big recovery bill when the helecopter shows up, when all that happened is

a u joint broke on the 4 wheel drive.

i'd say it's a good solution, but if i was going to deepest BFE, especially outside the US, i'd buy

the big cahuna, as a 406 beacon will work everywhere. not so with the spot. however, most of

the 406 beacons have to deploy an antenna, and need a clear view of the sky to work, so you

are gonna have to crawl out from under that tree with a broken hip either way.... the difference is

that i can leave a trail of waypoints every 10 minutes all day long before i break down.... and

if i'm really hurt and can't deploy the thing, those breadcrumbs may prove important to me....

FulThrotl

I got a SPOT because Globalstar's sat-phone service is becoming less reliable as the satellites deteriorate. (SPOT uses the same sats, but a different system than the one that's failing.) My previous routine was to check in with home on a scheduled basis via sat phone, having left instructions and info in the event that I was unable to check in.

SPOT's does not work well under tree cover or in canyons. But in planning my outings and my check-in schedule, I take that into account. 'I'll be in the canyon from here to here, so check-in will be delayed until such-and-such a time.'

I have found that between SPOT and my cellphone's ability to squeeze out a text message with the tiniest wisp of a signal that I can always make my scheduled check-ins. Unless canyoneering or spelunking are your thing, or your hikes are under solid tree canopy, SPOT can generally get a message out.

I rejected the idea of a PLB, because I want Amy (Mrs. Mule Ears) to make any necessary SAR decisions based on my hike plan. If I'm just going to be a little late for dinner, I don't want the options to be call-me-a-chopper or nothing. SPOT transmits three types of message: "OK," "Not OK," and "Emergency--Need SAR." Since I leave a hike plan at home, Amy can tell from the coords associated with an OK message whether or not I'm on schedule. She also knows who to contact in the event she receives the non-emergency Not-OK message.

One unobvious advantage of SPOT is that it is a transmit-only device. With the sat phone, making a check-in call takes at least 10 minutes between deploying the phone, acquiring a signal, calling, and working through the customary niceties of a voice call. Unless you have a very unusual relationship, you cannot just say "All's well. On schedule. Next check in an hour." and hang up. SPOT's limitation turns out to be an advantage in this regard. Pull it out, give it time to acquire GPS sats, press OK. You can be moving throughout this process, unlike the sat phone.

If you need a means to check in with mission control that works beyond the reach of your cell phone, SPOT may be the answer. If you need a way to reliably summon rescue--and that's all you need--PLBs are superior to SPOT.

Someone I teach a class with has a PLB and a SPOT. He likes the SPOT better because of the checkin feature, it allows him to let people know where he is and that everything is on schedule. Where as the PLB is for in case of emergency only. If I was hiking on a regular basis I'd probably get a SPOT in spite of the overall cost to operate it every year.

Just happened to notice that they are giving away the Spot for free to members of the Experimental Aircraft Association attending the Oshkosh, WI AirVenture airshow this week. Well, the unit is free. To get the free unit requires (besides being a member of the EAA and attend the airshow) "on-site activation of a $99.99 annual unlimited basic service and $49.99 annual unlimited tracking service prior to use. "

I suspect in the long run this is a better business model for the Spot. Just like with other subscription-based services that require a dedicated electronic device (cell phones, satellite radio, pay TV, etc), give away the device (which probably only costs a few dollars to manufacture in bulk) with the purchase of a minimum level of service.

Just happened to notice that they are giving away the Spot for free to members of the Experimental Aircraft Association attending the Oshkosh, WI AirVenture airshow this week. Well, the unit is free. To get the free unit requires (besides being a member of the EAA and attend the airshow) "on-site activation of a $99.99 annual unlimited basic service and $49.99 annual unlimited tracking service prior to use. "

I suspect in the long run this is a better business model for the Spot. Just like with other subscription-based services that require a dedicated electronic device (cell phones, satellite radio, pay TV, etc), give away the device (which probably only costs a few dollars to manufacture in bulk) with the purchase of a minimum level of service.

That's tempting--I'm thinking about driving up to Oshkosh for the show--It would be worth a $40 EAA membership (which also gets a $12 discount on show admission) to get the deal. I'm still hesitant on the Spot, though. I love its notification features, but it still seems to fall short of a 406 mHz PLB for emergencies.

Because SPOT uses a patch antenna, it is very unreliable, especially under heavy cover, or in canyons or valleys. If you want something to save your life in ANY location, avoid SPOT. The reason it is so cheap, is because they used a patch antenna.

I've used a GPS with a patch antenna (Geko 201) and it was pretty unreliable, except in the middle of a lake. Now I have a GPS with a helix antenna, works great under heavy tree cover. I have not tried it in a valley.