Geocaching and Gift Card Collecting? Would it Catch On?

Nochipra

I have been thinking of combining our geocaching hobby with our gift card collecting hobby? Gift card collecting has become a new and upcoming hobby for a lot of people. I was totally surprised to see how many people actually collect these cards with no monetary value on them at all. Although, they do make some very cool and cute cards now a days. It seems the most popular gift cards are the Target and Starbucks cards and any card that has the least amount of locations where you can get one. Also the older cards from a few yrs back seem to get a pretty good price too? You can check out this site to see just how many people do collect them http://www.giftcardcollector.com/index.php...ge&Itemid=1 . We have quite a few now and have decided to start putting them into caches with a business card stating that these cards are for collecting purposes only and have no money value what so ever and refer them to the http://www.giftcardcollector.com/index.php...ge&Itemid=1 site so they could start collecting them too. I've been a member at the site now for a around a month now and they are a nice bunch of people much like this community. I received a batch of cards from someone to help get my collection started for nothing in return? I was also surprised to see how many "collectible gift cards" auctions were offered on ebay? Check them out, lol. http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?s...o%3D1&fgtp=

I've also been thinking of doing a travel bug promoting my new hobby by attaching a tb tag to a Walmart gift card (since they can be found just about everywhere) and sending it off into the wild and everyone who moves it or discovers it is eligible to receive a $5 gift card from Walmart every month (at least for the first yr) when I pick a winner from the posts with a random number generater. My questions are:

1. Do you think this could become a new trend in geocaching where people would leave gift cards with no monetary value as swag items?

2. Would gift card collecting be something you would like to get into?

3. Do you think the Travel Bug idea is a good one?

There was a time when the prepaid calling cards were collected too. I'm not sure what ever became of all that. Placing the cards into Caches would probabaly subject them to such a beating that they wouldn't be desireable in a collection. Many other cachers would likely check for (loaded)value and discard them if there was none. I have a couple that I've used up, and glued a sheet magnet on the back to use on the fridge.

1. Do you think this could become a new trend in geocaching where people would leave gift cards with no monetary value as swag items?

The initial problem I see is that not everyone would know it was a hobby unto itself. Someone might think they got a nice gift card and then later find it was worthless. Then we'll have people posting about lousy swag left in caches. If you choose to leave it as swag you might want to include information about the hobby so people can A. Learn about it and B. Know that is a special trade item and should not be used to make a purchase.

Sounds interesting but nothing for me today, thank you.

Sounds super.

I like the TB idea! It's that kind of inguinuity that keeps geocaching fun.

Collecting is such an individual hobby. My wife collect minitures; my daughter collects unicorns. I collect debt. :rolleyes:

You may not get many into collecting gift cards, but you'ld be adding fun for the few who would pick up on the hobby.

No.

No.

Yes. I have released two Starbucks cards, $5 on each, and a subway fare card with $0.05 on it.

"Let's Buy gpsfun A Cup of Coffee" TB

"Let's Buy MadMin A Cup of Coffee" TB

"Charlie Card" TB

The gpsfun card was unsuccessful. The MadMin card reached its goal. The Charlie Card is still out in the wild.

Edited by CacheNCarryMA