Skipping Micros

Kirbert

Is there a way to ignore micros in searches?

Only with a pocket query. Just check mark every cache size other than the micros and then if you don't want to download it just click the preview icon, and it runs like a normal search minus the micros :D

Edited by scavok

Should be a basic filter selection, since there are so many, and I am another one, who would rather be able to ignore thier listings when new caches are posted instead of clicking thier link only to see they are micros.

Yeah... It is. Of course, you pay $30 per year for that and ALOT more.

The Steaks

If you're not a premium member, pay attention to the size indicator in the online search result lists. Don't open any cache pages if they have the "Micro" size indicator: micro.gif.

Unfortunately, that doesn't tell you if it's a LPC, one stuck to the back of a smelly dumpster or a great micro in a museum courtyard.

Effective geocaching actually requires some research. Check the page and the logs. If you've got a micro that has logs that are TFTC! and that's it, you're likely looking at an LPC. Another micro with logs that are glowing with the description of the surroundings might be worthy of a visit.

I click on the map and hit SAT view. If I see a parking lot or dumpster.... forget it.

The real question should be "Why would you skip the micros?"

I myself have come across a lot of great micro caches in some really cool places where you wouldn't think to look. I would suggest trying a few, and maybe you wouldn't be so quick to skip over them....

No, the real question was:

Yeah, we know. It got answered. We are just lending our opinions about ignoring them. Some of us say it would not be a good idea and have given resonable arguments to support our position. This is a forum and the discussion is still on topic.

The real question should be "Why would you skip the micros?"

I myself have come across a lot of great micro caches in some really cool places where you wouldn't think to look. I would suggest trying a few, and maybe you wouldn't be so quick to skip over them....

I know that it is tempting but please don't. It only encourages them.

Yeah, we know. It got answered. We are just lending our opinions about ignoring them. Some of us say it would not be a good idea and have given resonable arguments to support our position. This is a forum and the discussion is still on topic.

I happen to agree with the thought of not skipping micros (though I hate bison tubes for some reason), but it's rude (IMHO) to tell the OP what his real question is or should be. The OP asked one question, not another.

And, yes, I understand that this is a forum and that the answers remained on topic, but why not just answer the question as originally stated rather than butting in with one's belief about what the question should have been to begin with?

Not a big micro fan myself, might be because I have a hard time finding them. But I can't count the times I almost skipped one and only stopped because of who was in the car to be rewarded by a great scenic view, creative container, or discovered the hiders joke. Not ready to give up on all micros I tend to filter out those that are in a non-green urban enviroment (parking lots, back of shopping areas, etc). Like everyone else had said, get the Preimium membership, run a PQ, drop in in gsak, then export to Steets and Trips or another mapping software. You can see if it's in a parking lot, a small urban park, or out in the middle of the wilds.

If you're not a premium member, pay attention to the size indicator in the online search result lists. Don't open any cache pages if they have the "Micro" size indicator: micro.gif

That is the best you can do without a premium membership.

Most of the micros I have found have been just plan crapy

An altoids tin at the base of a post along a dirt road

An altoids tin in a post along a road

A small tube one a road sign

A small tube in a post along a road

A small tube in a sign post along a road

A small pill bottle under a peice of wood on the side of a road

A samll pill bottle under some bark by the side of a road

A small tube in a sign post

An atoids tin under a transformer next to a dumpster

A pill bottle under a peice of wood next to a no tresspasing sign

A match container on the ground next to a dirt road

These were all found in one day, there was nothing memorable about any of these locations, these were placed next to cattle fields or in sign post. There was not evan any attempt made to camo these hides, not even painting or camo tape.

After I logged my finds I got an e-mail from the person that hid most of these cache complaining that I used colored text to log my finds, then she goes on to say that the cachers in her area put a lot of thought into placing their caches in interesting places. Makes me wonder what she thinks is not interesting.

As far as the OP question, you will have to become a premium member to filter out micros

Edited by JohnnyVegas