Oldest cache on record

GeoVamp

Its too bad the original descriptions and data from the Dave Ulmer caches are gone. It would have been interesting to see what the writes ups were. What happened between those two anyway? :rolleyes: (honestly I don't know)

Ulmer's caches pre-date the existance of geocaching.com, and if someone was really motivated, they could find the usenet posts announcing them to the world on Google. I'm not that motivated right now, but I did find this website on archive.org, which is a snapshot of the HTML 101 type geocaching website by Mike Teague that was the predecessor of geocaching.com Unfortunately, there are none of Ulmer's cache descriptions there, except for some sort of "vector offset cache", which I'm sure was never listed on geocaching.com

Its too bad the original descriptions and data from the Dave Ulmer caches are gone. It would have been interesting to see what the writes ups were. What happened between those two anyway? :bad: (honestly I don't know)

Ulmer's caches pre-date the existance of geocaching.com, and if someone was really motivated, they could find the usenet posts announcing them to the world on Google. I'm not that motivated right now, but I did find this website on archive.org, which is a snapshot of the HTML 101 type geocaching website by Mike Teague that was the predecessor of geocaching.com Unfortunately, there are none of Ulmer's cache descriptions there, except for some sort of "vector offset cache", which I'm sure was never listed on geocaching.com

Most of the first caches were listed here but not by date. They were entered by state. You can see what Dave did to his here.

You know I couldn't walk away from this. I spent way too much time looking for snapshots of Ulmer's caches in the past, but no dice. But this is the earliest snapshot of a geocaching.com webpage I could find, from November 2000, a cache in NYC. Apparently before find counts. :bad: Some will find it interesting, at least I would think: NYC Alpha Cache A fair amount of the links actually work, especially "nearby caches", but it takes you to a newer snapshot of the website for that search.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel