FTF prizes

An unactivated microcoin or coffee card for urban hides,

perhaps an Alaska geocoin for the more rural (ammocan) placements...

...as for actually finding an FTF? Glory... simply the glory of the achievement.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Confucius

...or as the cacher says "I know I can be first next time!"

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.

Napoleon Bonaparte

...or as the cacher says "Just one...more...FTF...and I'll be happy"

And say my glory was I had such friends.

William Butler Yeats

I'm sure Yeats must have meant

"And say my glory was I had such friends as these,

that they would go before and place a hide for me"...

We put an unactivated geocoin in as a FTF prize.

Where can I get one and how much are they?

Click on Trackable items...under Geocoins, go to geocoin home...scroll down, on the right will be a list of coin manufactureres and sellers. You can also frequent the geocoin forums, there is always someone selling coins. The auction place is another (pricer) way to buy coins. A micro size coin will run you $5-$6, for a regular size coin you will be looking at $8 and up.

Click on Trackable items...under Geocoins, go to geocoin home...scroll down, on the right will be a list of coin manufactureres and sellers. You can also frequent the geocoin forums, there is always someone selling coins. The auction place is another (pricer) way to buy coins. A micro size coin will run you $5-$6, for a regular size coin you will be looking at $8 and up.

Thank You. I will look into it.

Thank You. I will look into it.

I've left silver coins in two of my three hides for FTF. Probably worth $12-$15 each.

Unactivated Geocoin - my first cache published today :laughing:

However, I went to Space Coast Geocachers convenience store and found items from GS and other sources that they had I didn't even know existed. Really cool stuff so I loaded up.

One such item I think is really cool and will be hard to let go of is a FTF Card Game - comes in a really nice tin - it will go in an Ammo can for FTF I have planned in the near future.

But I have GEOCoins that are unique like a Surfboard, an Everglads National Park Geocoin, these would make nice FTF if placed Unactivated. If you want to see where this stuff ends up you might want to keep track of the serial number... Hind sight is 20 20 - I failed to do this on my first one out the door - On FTF coins they may never be activated so it wouldn't matter, just thought I'd mention. Do make sure you clearly note on the item it's unactivated and instructions as to where you can get the activation code - be a shame if they dropped it at the next cache not knowing it (they wont figure it out until they try to log and then it will be to late).

I put in a Misawa Navy Ball coin for the FTF prize in my cache celebrating the 232nd birthday of the Navy. In the "Natsue-no-Mori" cache, I put a Misawa Air Base challenge coin. Neither are trackable in any way, but the FTFers seemed to be happy. Oh yes, I also genned up a custom FTF certificate to go into the FTF packet.

I LOVE the "ten bucks" idea. That's hilarious! : )

While it's very nice to have a prize for FTF, it's not a requirement. The FTF itself is the reward for those that compete in that contest.

Around here, folks put unactivated geocoins, hand crafted items, lottey tickets, and cash. When I do put a prize in my new caches, I go with cash. But since I'm cheap, it's no more than $5.00. Cash is always the right color and size.

I like the idea of lottery ticktets, but I would have a hard time knowing I gave away that big winner.

I make customized FTF tags with the geo logo on the front, and the finder, cache name, and date on the back. They've been pretty popular so far. Here's a pic of one with a typo that I still had laying on my desk:

vs45sge45sf3d444.jpg

I forgot to add that one of the things I like about doing them is it usually give me some one-on-one communication with the finder, and I take the opportunity to ask a few questions and see if the listing might need some tweaks.

Edited by sataraid1

moneymoney.jpg

$500.00 dollars would be cool.

(real cost about $4.00)

Feh.

I have put a million dollars for FTF in a couple of caches...

traditional_new_fronta.jpg

One of these days I'm going to order a bunch more and get a stamp so that I can use them as signature swag. I had a bunch of these bills from an event a long time ago. We gave one to all attendees. Each bill was wrapped with a ribbon which read "Thanks a Million".

I've dropped a bunch into caches that logged them with something like "Took hot wheels car, Left a million dollars".

I make customized FTF tags with the geo logo on the front, and the finder, cache name, and date on the back. They've been pretty popular so far. Here's a pic of one with a typo that I still had laying on my desk:

vs45sge45sf3d444.jpg

I forgot to add that one of the things I like about doing them is it usually give me some one-on-one communication with the finder, and I take the opportunity to ask a few questions and see if the listing might need some tweaks.

How do you make these. I would love to do this for my caches

I have placed 25 caches since joining the game in August of 07. I ahve yet to palce a cache without an FTF prize in there.

Examples:

Travel Slugs geocoin (unactivated)

Travel Bugs (unactivated)

Geocoins (unactivated)

AA batteries - adult toys needs these as well

Michigan State Christmas Ornament

Monopoly Hallmark Chritsmas ornament (see monopoLEE cache)

As for what i have come across

FTF #1 - nothing

FTF#2 - Little Swiss Army Knife

FTF#3 and FTF#4 - it's in the mail

FTF#5 - 10 $10 bills (see Binary Breakdown GC18XEE)

Putting out caches without an FTF prize generally promotes lame caches (for hide numbers sake?). If you have to spend a little $ for a reward, then you'll probably be the cacher placing a slightly more quality hide. IMHO.

vs45sge45sf3d444.jpg

There is a line of people waiting to know how to make those! :lol:

Can you make your own travelbug that way?

Edited by Geo-Joe-N-Josh

I hid a cache a few years back and listed that it contained 10 bucks as a first finders prize.....the first finder was delighted. Here is the picture she posted after finding the cache.

356395_200.jpg

moneymoney.jpg

$500.00 dollars would be cool.

(real cost about $4.00)

Feh.

I have put a million dollars for FTF in a couple of caches...

traditional_new_fronta.jpg

One of these days I'm going to order a bunch more and get a stamp so that I can use them as signature swag. I had a bunch of these bills from an event a long time ago. We gave one to all attendees. Each bill was wrapped with a ribbon which read "Thanks a Million".

I've dropped a bunch into caches that logged them with something like "Took hot wheels car, Left a million dollars".

The question is...which is closer to true? A million dollars, ten bucks, or 500 dollars? :lol:

vs45sge45sf3d444.jpg

There is a line of people waiting to know how to make those! :lol:

Can you make your own travelbug that way?

We have a laser engraver where I work, and I get to pick through the mismatched or odd color tags and play with them. The tags have an anodized surface that is etched away by the laser leaving a white underlayer.

As much as I'd like to say I make them at home, and show everyone how, that's not how it's done.

I have placed 25 caches since joining the game in August of 07. I ahve yet to palce a cache without an FTF prize in there.

Examples:

Geocoins (unactivated)

FTF #1 - nothing

Putting out caches without an FTF prize generally promotes lame caches (for hide numbers sake?). If you have to spend a little $ for a reward, then you'll probably be the cacher placing a slightly more quality hide. IMHO.

I forgot about my "prowlin4snakeeyes" caches. FTF Prize for each cache was a set of Fuzzy Dice. FTF on both caches was the same cacher. So he got both sets (White on Black, and Black on White).

Examples:

Geocoins (unactivated)

FTF #1 - nothing

I forgot about my "prowlin4snakeeyes" caches. FTF Prize for each cache was a set of Fuzzy Dice. FTF on both caches was the same cacher. So he got both sets (White on Black, and Black on White).

Then there was the cache I put out where there was something in there for the first five finders. The cache name was "Candy Land" and it came out aorund Christmas. Can you guess what it was?

Well, as it turns out, 4 of the first 5 "prizes" were taken by the cachers who swarmed on it for the FTF. They had not read the cache page completely after solving the puzzle to know what they were for. No big deal, I had the rest of the box to put out anyway. Made for a great story and log.

On another note, FTF prizes can encourage people to race for your caches as well. You get some of the neatest logs when they race. Prowlin4snakeeyes II" is one of my favorites. Wish I could have been out there that night.

I just put two caches together, one is a memorial cache to my dog, so all the swag is "memory" related like photo albums and frames. I put a $10. gift certificate to Shutterfly.com for the FTF.

The other cache, I put James Patterson's latest novel in hardback - it's at location where you could have a picnic and spend an afternoon reading.

I just sent these to the reviewer so I don't have feedback yet on how they liked the prizes.

Our FTF had absolutely nothing good - even the swag was crummy. BUT it's the find that counts. I always try to leave something that we would like to find in a cache.