The Stolen Cache

DLS3031942

Yep--the Golden Baby Elephant is missing or stolen. The cache is a 2-lb. coffee can painted different colors of green paint. The Cache is plainly marked outside and inside. The cache is large enough for large and micro travel bugs and a host of treasures. Who in Hell's name stole the cache? Why? Probably some small kids that live in my area. If you had any idea to prevent this kind of theft--Please give me your advice. The next step, is to canvas all my neighbors with kids. This is a step I don't relish. Tell me what to do if you were me? I'm waiting for your advice......................DLS :rolleyes:

I blame the disappearance on the poor location.

Whenever someone hides a geocache in full view of houses, you run the risk of having your cache disappear. Did you ever think that the homeowners would get suspicious of all the strange people visiting that tree near their houses?

....If you had any idea to prevent this kind of theft--Please give me your advice....

You have to learn the difference between where cachers would look for a cache and where kids and muggles will look just because they are doing their own thing in the area.

If you have a huge plain and one tree and that tree is worth the trip. If you put the cache in a knothole, it's giong to get found. If you put it 500' away under a rock on the side further from the road, the odds are in your favor. Cachers will find the cool tree on the way to the cache.

Don't put the cache in the cool rock formation. Put it enough away so the folks swarming the formation don't find it on addicent.

The goal is to put your caches were people don't go. You get better odds of cache survival this way.

The cache looks like it's under a tree in someone's field. Perhaps the neighbors wondered who/what/why all these people were doing parking on their quiet dead end street and looking around the lone tree. They might have suspected a drug dropoff or something.

I don't see any mention on the cache page about it being your property or having permission. Perhaps the property owner even removed it?

killmeby3.jpg

The cache looks like it's under a tree in someone's field. Perhaps the neighbors wondered who/what/why all these people were doing parking on their quiet dead end street and looking around the lone tree. They might have suspected a drug dropoff or something.

I don't see any mention on the cache page about it being your property or having permission. Perhaps the property owner even removed it?

killmeby3.jpg

There sure are a lot of assumptions being made here. Assume=a**+u+me.

Anyway, the OP asked for advice, archive and let it go. Don't go around asking neighbors with kids. Especially when you are angry. Sorry you lost a cache.

This isn't an exacting science. Sometimes good spots turn out to be bad spots. These things will get taken and found by non-cachers. Best we can do is choose spots to limit the chances of it being discovered.

Residential neighborhoods with nearby houses are rarely good hide spots.

Let it go - find a new spot for a cache.

Anyway, the OP asked for advice, archive and let it go. Don't go around asking neighbors with kids. Especially when you are angry. Sorry you lost a cache.

We were offering advice despite your uncalled for, and rude "assumption" remark. :D

It's pretty clear based on aerial photos that the cache is visible from the nearby house, and it is crystal clear that the cache was placed on private property. These two ingredients are often combined, and caches routinely go missing.

This type of mistake is often made by new cachers, who don't think about visibility, and suspicious neighbors.

We were offering advice despite your uncalled for, and rude "assumption" remark. :D

It's pretty clear based on aerial photos that the cache is visible from the nearby house, and it is crystal clear that the cache was placed on private property. These two ingredients are often combined, and caches routinely go missing.

This type of mistake is often made by new cachers, who don't think about visibility, and suspicious neighbors.

Think of it this way, Its a friggin Coffee Can... I've had 2 of mine dissapear that were Ammo Cans that were Cabled(3/8" Plastic Coated) to trees. They were placed in places that were NOT visable to almost anyone. One was 50 Feet up in a tree, and the other was at the end of a dead-end road that ends into trees by the interstate. I was SHOCKED when they dissapeared! Either way, I archived the listing instead of griping in a forum in which its over a 1 in a Billion chance that the taker will Ever See.

The Steaks

and it is crystal clear that the cache was placed on private property.

It seems to be the only "field" that size in the whole neighborhood. Might be a pocket park of some sort.

Just a possibility.

But, as the rest have said. Live and learn. And don't put anything out there that you're not willing to lose.

it is crystal clear that the cache was placed on private property.

That IS quite an assumption unless you've found and searched property records.

In my home town there are city parks which look more like private property than this. I know about them in part because the city parks and recreation department has been placing caches.

Sure, the odds are that it's private, but "crystal clear" it is not, not from what's been said in the forum.

Edward

Getting beyond the previous assumptions..........

Yep--the Golden Baby Elephant is missing or stolen. The cache is a 2-lb. coffee can painted different colors of green paint. The Cache is plainly marked outside and inside. The cache is large enough for large and micro travel bugs and a host of treasures. Who in Hell's name stole the cache? Why? Probably some small kids that live in my area. If you had any idea to prevent this kind of theft--Please give me your advice. The next step, is to canvas all my neighbors with kids. This is a step I don't relish. Tell me what to do if you were me? I'm waiting for your advice......................DLS :o

DUUUUUUUDE! Am I getting this right? :D You have a case of heartburn over a coffee can you left in a field? :D

(my ASSumption is that it's next to your OWN home. I don't know whyyy folks hafta ASSume the worst all the time. I'm more surprised they aren't blastin' ya for using a coffee can.) :D:(:(:D:D

Ummmm, get over it and don't bother the neighbors unless you wanna to be known throughout the neighborhood as the crazy old neighbor guy that came knockin' lookin' for his stolen coffee can. :D:(:D:D Ya dig. :lol::(

Edited by Snoogans

Think of it this way, Its a friggin Coffee Can... I've had 2 of mine dissapear that were Ammo Cans that were Cabled(3/8" Plastic Coated) to trees. They were placed in places that were NOT visable to almost anyone. One was 50 Feet up in a tree, and the other was at the end of a dead-end road that ends into trees by the interstate. I was SHOCKED when they dissapeared! Either way, I archived the listing instead of griping in a forum in which its over a 1 in a Billion chance that the taker will Ever See.

The Steaks

We've had an ammo can hidden in a way that even CACHERS have asked how we got it in there (and for which many had difficulty getting out) stolen TWICE! It's just a fact a life and sometimes happens. If replacing the cache annoys you then maybe you just need to live and learn and do another hide elsewhere.

Yep--the Golden Baby Elephant is missing or stolen. The cache is a 2-lb. coffee can painted different colors of green paint. The Cache is plainly marked outside and inside. The cache is large enough for large and micro travel bugs and a host of treasures. Who in Hell's name stole the cache? Why? Probably some small kids that live in my area. If you had any idea to prevent this kind of theft--Please give me your advice. The next step, is to canvas all my neighbors with kids. This is a step I don't relish. Tell me what to do if you were me? I'm waiting for your advice......................DLS :angry:

DUUUUUUUDE! Am I getting this right? :D You have a case of heartburn over a coffee can you left in a field? :huh:

(my ASSumption is that it's next to your OWN home. I don't know whyyy folks hafta ASSume the worst all the time. I'm more surprised they aren't blastin' ya for using a coffee can.) :D:rolleyes::huh::wacko::lol:

Ummmm, get over it and don't bother the neighbors unless you wanna to be known throughout the neighborhood as the crazy old neighbor guy that came knockin' lookin' for his stolen coffee can. :wacko::lol::lol::P Ya dig. :D:)

I regret the loss of my cache, only thing that hurts is the loss of 5 TB that belong to others enclosed in the Golden Baby Elephant cache ...DLS

Whenever possible, I try to avoid dropping off trackables in caches with a high muggle potential (that is, within view of nearby residences or businesses). I like leaving them off in caches that require a bit of a hike, or are at least screened from the prying eyes of muggles.

Seeing the aerial photo, I don't think I would've left off a rare geocoin at this cache.

Yep--the Golden Baby Elephant is missing or stolen. The cache is a 2-lb. coffee can painted different colors of green paint. The Cache is plainly marked outside and inside. The cache is large enough for large and micro travel bugs and a host of treasures. Who in Hell's name stole the cache? Why? Probably some small kids that live in my area. If you had any idea to prevent this kind of theft--Please give me your advice. The next step, is to canvas all my neighbors with kids. This is a step I don't relish. Tell me what to do if you were me? I'm waiting for your advice......................DLS :huh:

DUUUUUUUDE! Am I getting this right? :P You have a case of heartburn over a coffee can you left in a field? :huh:

(my ASSumption is that it's next to your OWN home. I don't know whyyy folks hafta ASSume the worst all the time. I'm more surprised they aren't blastin' ya for using a coffee can.) :D:wacko::lol::huh::lol:

Ummmm, get over it and don't bother the neighbors unless you wanna to be known throughout the neighborhood as the crazy old neighbor guy that came knockin' lookin' for his stolen coffee can. :):(:rolleyes::lol: Ya dig. :D:)

I regret the loss of my cache, only thing that hurts is the loss of 5 TB that belong to others enclosed in the Golden Baby Elephant cache ...DLS

Understandable, but YOU are NOT responsible for their loss. You moved them along properly to your cache. The responsibility ends there. Your cache was made public and left to public access.

The owners of those bugs put their property in public trust.

Now, how much do you reeeeeally trust the public? :D:wacko::angry:

Don't sweat it. This stuff happens all the time. :(