Deermark approaches 10,000 finds

geode hunter

I'd take geode hunters bet but I would definately win since I have inside information. My dear Deermark won't be going anywhere this weekend and I mean absolutely nowhere. His back is out!

Mark has not been able to get out of bed since Wednesday afternoon. He literally can't get out of bed for any reason. He has not stood up since Wednesday.

So that 10,000 find will have to wait at least a week or two.

He's BACK! Yes, I snuck out to go to the Kentuckiana Meet & Greet yesterday.

Left Mark with all his provisions for the day and headed out to the Kentuckiana Meet and Greet. Did a little caching with WCNUT and Neos2. Now you know I called and checked on Mark several times. About 2:30 my call was unanswered. Told the crew that we needed to head back to check on Mark. I knew the meds were kicking in and he had either made it to the bathroom, hot tub or was lying on the floor unable to get up.

My strong feeling was correct, he had made it to the hot tub where the warm water and jets and allowed his muscles for release. When I got home, he was mobile. Hit the hot tub a couple of more time and took a shower. Now can any of you guess what his next request was? That's right, let's stop at a few caches on the way to Chuck's post meet and greet dinner.

His back is still quite crooked but he is able to move around with the help of a cane. Okay, it's not really a cane. It's s short hiking stick. Some things never change.

Thanks for everyone's concern. He is definately on his way back!

He's BACK! Yes, I snuck out to go to the Kentuckiana Meet & Greet yesterday.

Left Mark with all his provisions for the day and headed out to the Kentuckiana Meet and Greet. Did a little caching with WCNUT and Neos2. Now you know I called and checked on Mark several times. About 2:30 my call was unanswered. Told the crew that we needed to head back to check on Mark. I knew the meds were kicking in and he had either made it to the bathroom, hot tub or was lying on the floor unable to get up.

My strong feeling was correct, he had made it to the hot tub where the warm water and jets and allowed his muscles for release. When I got home, he was mobile. Hit the hot tub a couple of more time and took a shower. Now can any of you guess what his next request was? That's right, let's stop at a few caches on the way to Chuck's post meet and greet dinner.

His back is still quite crooked but he is able to move around with the help of a cane. Okay, it's not really a cane. It's s short hiking stick. Some things never change.

Thanks for everyone's concern. He is definately on his way back!

Cool!

Let's see?------ :o

One cache, one poptart, $2,500 ( that's aldies brand)

average one mile per cache (might be higher when trying to get all the states) at an average 20 mpg, $1,550 (Probably closer to $1 per cache $10,000)

dinner out at cold weather events 289 * 20, $5,780

camping gear, back trouble, and friends met while not sitting in front of the tv PRICELESS !!!!! :o:o:blink:

Edited by geode hunter

After 72 hours of laying flat on my back in bed I was finally about to stand up Satruday afternoon. I couldn't stand up straight but I was on my feet. 4 visits so far to the chiropractor has got me to about 60%. Still not enough to hike for 5 hours to grab a cache. So there will be not milestone this weekend either. Maybe an LP is the way to go. Soooo....I hope to get the elusive cache soon. Thanks for all the concerns. My caching friends are the best friends I will ever have.

Deermark

The man who brought us the trail mix series, woody in the woods series, and poptarts at events is rapidily approaching his 10,000th find.

Deermark Stats

I bet he gets there sometime this weekend. What do you think , Saturday at the Shining Rock cache

Oops! did I say that out loud?

Sounds like he's doing much better and will be making the 5,6,7 hour hike this weekend.

Way to go Deermark!!!!

You know all that stuff that gets pushed way back in the fridge 'cause no one wants to eat it. That is what she fed me. The mold kind of tickled on the way down though.

Of course you all know that Daggy was the bestest nurse ever. After 34 years we are starting to get used to each other.

Thanks Daggy for being my A #1 nurse.

Deermark

4df2838f-b7aa-40b0-9241-6745c9b2f262.jpg

The above is the view from Cold Mountain looking toward Shining Rock. After laying around and then hobbling about for 2 weeks I am finally back to about 90%. Ken of Geode Hunters and I will be making the hike to Shining Rock GC1FE2 Saturday morning. It is about an 10 to 11 mile round trip. This will make a wonderful cache to hit 10K on. Like Popeye and his spinach I will be eating a Poptart at the start of the hike to rev my legs up. I will report in Saturday night to let everyone know how it went. Thanks to all that have sent kind words. Geocachers are the best people I have ever known. Let's do it.

Deermark

Well, it's Saturday morning in Tennessee. Leigh Ann and I just dropped Ken and Mark off at the trailhead. When we got to the trailhead area, we were surrounded by Boy Scouts. Apparently, they are having a weekend Jamboree. Wonder if this means that quite serene trail Mark was expecting will be crawling with 10 year olds.

We have instructions to pick them back up at 3:00 p.m. Leigh Ann and I thought we would have a nice quiet area to sit and wait on them but with all the scouts, I think it will be anything but quiet.

Will update you again, once we pick them up.

Edited by daggy

At last report, Mark and Ken were at the top of the mountain and were a .16 bushwack from the cache. Forgot to ask is they were on the right mountain and if there were any large ravines (slidesdown the mountain) between them and their quest.

Leigh Ann and I have done several "city" caches and stopped for a nice lunch. Wonder if the guys are getting hungry? It seems we over ordered at lunch and have lots of left overs. Think they would want to come back down and finish our lunch and head back up for the cache?

Edited by daggy

At last report, Mark and Ken were at the top of the mountain and were a .16 bushwack from the cache. Forget to ask is they were on the right mountain and if there were any large ravines (slides the mountain) between them and there quest.

Leigh Ann and I have done several "city" caches and stopped for a nice lunch. Wonder if the guys are getting hungry? It seems we over ordered at lunch and have lots of left overs. Think they would want to come back down and finish our lunch and head back up for the cache?

If they want to swing by here for dessert before heading back, I have some Girl Scout Cookies I would share. That seems appropriate with all the Boy Scouts around the cache area.

The guys are in the car with Leigh Ann and I and one of them now has 10,000 finds! Congratulations, sweetie!

And, now the rest of the story ...

At about 1:30 we got a call saying to change the pick-up time from 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 or 4:30. Not a problem. more caches for us. Afterall, we did need to walk off that lunch.

So we headed back to the pick-up sight arriving just after 4:00. When we saw a couple of scout leaders walking our way, we decided to let them know that we were waiting on hikers. Rolled down the window and they said, "Ladies if you are going to tell us your lost and need directions, we don't have a clue where we are." I just laughed and explained that we had several GPS's in the car and knew exactly where we were. Since they were okay with us staying around, we found a place to park along the road and stream.

Luckily I brought a couple of magazines. Chit chatted a bit, read a bit, chit chatted some more, read some more, calmed Leigh Ann down with words of wisdom that assured her that the guys would show up

The conversation went something this:

Leigh Ann: Do you think they are okay?

Lynn: Yeah, they're fine.

Leigh Ann: Well, I know they have rain gear, food and water but they might get cold.

Leigh Ann: When do you think we should call the ranger.

Lynn: About this time tomorrow.

Finally at 5:48 we decided to go back to where we had cell service to see if they had left us a message. Drove about 6 miles before getting service. And lo and behold, no voice messages. Drove the six miles back and who is sitting on the side of the road .. two cute fellows looking for a ride. One of them had a big smile on his face.

Deermark can fill you in on the adventures of their day.

Congrats, honey!

6fa7ac14-c394-4e7e-98df-d0d67288b664.jpg

I am back at the hotel now and falling asleep on the keyboard. Ken of Geode Hunters was kind enough to tag along with me on the 12.6 mile trek up the mountain to grab GC1EF2. We started our hike at 10:00am and made it back to the car at 6:00. From there we we hightailed over to a steak house to refuel. These last 7 years have been a ball. I can't think of anything I would rather have done but Geocache. Thanks for all the kinds words

Deermark

a9ffb880-cec9-48ee-b785-4384adbcea94.jpg

I placed the Poptarts all around my back and then had Daggy duct tape them on. It was the magical properties of the fruit filling that kept me going strong. That and Ken of Geode Hunters threatening to leave me if I didn't hurry up. I still have them taped there. I just know it is going to hurt when I pull that duct tape off. I should have thought of that before Daggy used the whole roll on me. Not sure why she put some on my mouth though. Man it was a long way to the top of that mountain. Yes Sherry I did bring you a couple of shining rocks down off the summit. Look for them on your porch one day.

Thanks again for all the kind words and the great e-mails. It has been overwhelming. I am proud to call each and everyone of you my friend.

Deermark

Man it was a long way to the top of that mountain. Yes Sherry I did bring you a couple of shining rocks down off the summit. Look for them on your porch one day.

WOW, I'm honored! I am also impressed that you were able to make that hike at what you termed 90% and glad you had Ken there with you for backup. We're all glad for all the aweome photos too--I like hiking vicariously through your photos!