Topo map? what to expect and do i really need it for hiking?

arribaperu

Just got my Venture CX gps today in the mail....Since I do alot of hiking in the woods of Ohio and Kentucky, I figured a topo map of these regions would be necessary, and have been told on here that I would want the maps...

But I am having second thoughts.. Do I really need to spend $60-$80 for this?

I really don't know what to expect if I order one.. I figure it will color the background on the GPS indicating wilderness, rockiness, etc.. but this seems useless, since I can determine that on my own in the woods ? Is there something I am missing?

Maybe someone can explain to me what a topo map will provide and how it would be useful to me, if it is believed a topo map would be beneficial...

thanks for the help...

Steve

If you do a lot of hiking you probably already have a good supply of USGS topo maps. Those only cost 3 or 4 bucks apiece. I have a couple of shoe boxes full. Grid them all in pencil to the UTM ticks, learn how to mark a point in UTM coords and you won't need expensive topo software. I would never leave on a hike without an old-fashioned USGS map, even if I had a GPS with me. Techno stuff can fail. I have been involved in at least one high-mountain rescue where it was vital to mark the area of the victim on a map and I was the only one on this popular trail with a map and the only one who could relay coords to search and rescue and the Army chopper that was then called in to fly out the victim. Carry those maps and learn how to read them!!! Topo software is just icing on the cake.

Now my City Navigator software, I wouldn't live without :D

Topo maps, besides what has been mentioned, will help you decide if you want to go around that mountain between you and your destination, or go over it or go through it. It may have a gentle slope on this side (contour lines widely spaced) and then it will turn in to a maybe too steep of a drop on the other side (contour lines closer together).

You can pick a better route around obstacle, avoid forbidding canyons and non-fordable rivers (unless you can trace the river with the cursor to find a ford.