Swag/Travel items

mdg2003

Ok, I am just curious about swag. Most of the caches I have to date were micro-log only caches. I did find one today that had a lot of pretty cool stuff in it. Would a pack of AA batteries be considered a good thing to leave as a trade? In return I took a travel bug item. My intent is to give this particular bug a move of a least several states. Is it considered bad form to remove a bug and not move it a while? I have seen the bug listed in this cache and has not been moved since my joining a few weeks ago. Can I hold on to this bug for a few weeks and relocate him on my next trip? Or do I need to return it to another cache as soon as possible? I don't want to step on the tb owner's toes, I just want to give the bug a nice cross country plane trip.

Unless you are bringing the TB farther away from its goal then there is no problem bringing it with you on the trip. The TB guidelines do say if you are keeping the TB longer than two weeks then just alert the owner by e-mail. Also, a TB does not belong to the cache so you don't have to trade anything for it, unless the cache is a TB hotel then you need to leave another TB. I do like batteries left in caches because my GPS uses them up fast. (but please leave them in a sandwhich bag) :unsure:

Hope this helps,

Patty556

Also, a TB does not belong to the cache so you don't have to trade anything for it

true, but...
unless the cache is a TB hotel then you need to leave another TB.

Not true. Travel bugs are not trade items, and never need to be traded for. They belong to the bug owner, not to the owner of the TB "hotel" or prison.

I do like batteries left in caches because my GPS uses them up fast. (but please leave them in a sandwhich bag) :unsure:

I do like finiding batteries if I happen to need them, but I would only take or leave batteries if they were still sealed in their original packaging. If they were already opened and loose, I wouldn't take or leave them, plastic bag or no.

I have heard some people say not to leave them in caches, especially in very hot areas, because they might explode. I've never heard of it actually happening, though.

Ok, I am just curious about swag. Most of the caches I have to date were micro-log only caches. I did find one today that had a lot of pretty cool stuff in it. Would a pack of AA batteries be considered a good thing to leave as a trade? In return I took a travel bug item. My intent is to give this particular bug a move of a least several states. Is it considered bad form to remove a bug and not move it a while? I have seen the bug listed in this cache and has not been moved since my joining a few weeks ago. Can I hold on to this bug for a few weeks and relocate him on my next trip? Or do I need to return it to another cache as soon as possible? I don't want to step on the tb owner's toes, I just want to give the bug a nice cross country plane trip.

A good rule of thumb is to try to move a Trackable (travel bug or geocoin) in a week or two. If I plan to take one on a trip, but not for a few weeks, I will email the owner and ask them if they would prefer that I drop it in my home area soon or that I take it on a trip in a few weeks. Some owners answer one way and some the other.

Be careful traveling with them. I know a cacher who lost some TBs in airport security when TSA agents searched his carry-on bag and did not put them back (they did not put the GPSr back either -- ouch!). :unsure:

I have heard some people say not to leave them in caches, especially in very hot areas, because they might explode. I've never heard of it actually happening, though.

or very cold areas.... in original packaging I would think it would be cool to find. I use rechargables though so I likely wouldn't need them :D I always have a spare set, and the DC charger in the truck... saves a ton of $ in the long run. Since our little one goes through batteries in his toys by the hundreds it seems, we decided to go with rechargable everything a few years back (except for stuff that advises akaline only).

Edited by kraushad

Travel bugs are separate from trade items. They each have a mission --- look yours up and see where the owner would like to see it go, and see what you can do to help it on its way.

If you are going to hold on to it for several weeks, you'll want to email the owner as a courtesy. As someone who had a travel bug disappear, I can tell you that it's nice to know it's not lost!

-- Jeannette (angevine)