Well it worked great

I found the the two I was looking for

I signed the logs but being a bit unsure as to what are deemed to be

acceptable 'trades/swaps' I took nothing

So just wondering what sort of things I can use, obviously I realise nothing

illegal or illicit should be left

Ah well gonna find some for tomorrow

Congratulations on your first finds and welcome to the sport :unsure:

The best rule to go by when trading swag is "trade up or trade even" meaning if you take something, leave something of similar or greater value in its place. You're correct in assuming nothing illegal or illicit should be left, you should also not leave food items as these go off and the smell of food attracts wildlife which may destroy the cache.

Remember that this is a hobby for all ages and children will be finding the cache too, so nothing that you wouldn't want your kids to find. Personally I take along a few toy car keyrings as trades.

Welcome to the Forum, fertred :unsure:

A lot of the "acceptable swaps" are aimed mainly for children e.g. bouncy balls, small games, toy cars, stickers. Other items regularly found are fridge magnets, keyrings, small handy packs of "wet wipes" or tissues, playing cards. Some people may drop in a 50p or £1 coin.

"Unacceptable swaps" are any sorts of sweets or other foodstuffs, penknives, matches, cigarettes and scented candles.

Personally, I think used bus/train tickets, empty sweet wrappers, fresh eggs (not hard-boiled), snail shells (empty or occupied), toenail clippings and fluffy kittens are also unacceptable but these, and other even more unacceptable items, have also been found in geocaches.

I'm sure other people will add to both of these lists as this thread progresses.

MrsB

Personally, I think used bus/train tickets, empty sweet wrappers, fresh eggs (not hard-boiled), snail shells (empty or occupied), toenail clippings and fluffy kittens are also unacceptable but these, and other even more unacceptable items, have also been found in geocaches.

Awwwww - so you've found some of mine then - the kittens are the hardest to get in, they just won't keep still....... (and it's 4 years to the day since I found my first :unsure: )(cache that is - not kitten)

Amongst other items (a few are below) we (The Pensilva Plodders and I) left a small kitten and a kangaroo in our 130 cache.....

Rastafarian's head

Comic relief big ears 34''

Stunt kite 24''

40 piece socket wrench set

Telescopic umbrella

Alien head clock

Size 9 Golf shoes

A small kitten

Restaurant at the End of the Universe Book

A Red Dwarf - Backwards Book

A kangaroo

A Palm PDA and Sync Cradle

and a cuddly toy dog!

The guide is to put in something that other people will want and ensure it as of at least the value of the item you are taking.

If you leave junk then only take junk. If you take a valuable item (you'd be lucky :unsure: ) then leave and equally good item.

Don't forget that travel bugs and geocoins are NOT trade items. i.e. Don't take a CD and leave a TB.

Feel free to take (or leave) TB's without leaving (or taking) anything if you like.

If you want to leave stuff and take nothing then that's good too. It gives some people a warm glow and is a way of showing appreciation for a good cache. :unsure:

Personally speaking, trading is not a relevant part of geocaching for my son or I so we rarely do it.

I have spoken to a friend who also caches and he says he finds lots of the free CDs that are in the papers such as the mail on sunday. are these acceptable swops?

Ummmm.

Hmmmm.

We have taken one of those "free" CDs from a cache, so I think they're OK. Although if I was taking an item from a cache and leaving one of the "free" CDs I'd probably :D drop in an extra item as well.

I just thought of something else I like to find - The RSPB and some other charities do small bird or animal pins that you can get for a minimum £1 donation. I like these as swaps - and they're handy for fitting into small caches.

MrsB

I just thought of something else I like to find - The RSPB and some other charities do small bird or animal pins that you can get for a minimum £1 donation. I like these as swaps - and they're handy for fitting into small caches.

MrsB

Good shout MrsB :D

I found a Noddy pin in a cache the other day. I keep meaning to go back and get it (with a suitable swap of course)

Unfortunately, my pockets were empty at the time so I had to leave it.

I really love seeing the pins and really should keep some swaps with me. I only usually carry swaps when I have the dustbin lids with me.

Amongst other items (a few are below) we (The Pensilva Plodders and I) left a small kitten and a kangaroo in our 130 cache.....

Rastafarian's head

Stunt kite 24''

Telescopic umbrella

Alien head clock

Size 9 Golf shoes

A small kitten

A kangaroo

and a cuddly toy dog!

Yes. :lol:

Well. ;)

You do have an exceptionally large one, Birdman. :D

MrsB

Rastafarian's head

Stunt kite 24''

Telescopic umbrella

Alien head clock

Size 9 Golf shoes

A small kitten

A kangaroo

and a cuddly toy dog!

Yes. :lol:

Well. :D

You do have an exceptionally large one, Birdman. :D

MrsB

You heard that too MrsB ;) I have only ever found his small one by the church in Fowey when we went to see the Red Arrows last Summer with him and his boys, and the Kernow Kachers. :D

edited to add to keep it on topic: make some calling cards and leave them in all caches, particular TheOtherSt's just to annoy him, but mine especially because I like them. Trade up or even, go shopping in the stationery and party bag sections of Tescos and you will be fine. :D

Edited by The Cache Hoppers

edited to add to keep it on topic: make some calling cards and leave them in all caches, particular TheOtherSt's just to annoy him, but mine especially because I like them. Trade up or even, go shopping in the stationery and party bag sections of Tescos and you will be fine. :D

yeah, yeah. I'm just saving them all up in a big box to dump them in Ammo cans in the Newbury area.

Stu

x

As for McToys, I don't mind 'em if they're still in original wrapping or particularly good condition. There's nothing worse than a heavily used McToy where the battery has run out or a beany-type toy that's gone mouldy through damp.

Oh I dunno, with a bit of nifty modification, the McToy can be converted into a novel TB :D

I have spoken to a friend who also caches and he says he finds lots of the free CDs that are in the papers such as the mail on sunday. are these acceptable swops?

We leave those, sometimes, but not as a swap. We rarely do swaps, but we often just leave something (currently, I'm leaving keyring torches all over the place).

:blink::o:o:o We tend to leave things for the children the caches. I found that the party packs of toys at Morrisons are very good. We also try to leave something that boys and girls would like. I have left free CDs and swopped free CDs. We quite like them. We very often find caches that are pretty much empty and then we top them up. We just imagine the joy it will bring to the next children visiting. Makes it more fun for them.