What is the UK equivalent of an LPC

Matrix

I know what you're saying, that guy hates his LPC's. I am not sure there is an equivalent urban cache, our lamposts are far too efficient. I like to think we're a little more creative with our urban hides here in the UK.. I suppose you're talking about the urban item most used to hide a cache.

I guess it would have to be a bench or similar seat. Not that I find these irritating, just fairly common :unsure:

Some American lamp posts seem to have a box around the base that lifts up for access to the fixings which on the face of it seems like a good place but I wonder how you look without arousing to much suspicion :unsure:

Found a great pic while doing a bit of research :unsure:

lpc.jpg

I'm not sure I'd agree there - we've done quite a few excellent and very cunning urban hides in the USA. A lot of very creative caches where the cache owner has made something to blend is perfectly with it's surroundings.

The number of LPC's as a proportion of total caches is very low - they just get talked about all the time which makes you think there are more of them than there are in reality (as a proportion of total caches in an area).

We've done quite a few creative UK urban hides too but have also done a ton of 35mm containers chucked in the obvious spot too.

Swings and roundabouts :unsure:.

I like to think we're a little more creative with our urban hides here in the UK.

The number of LPC's as a proportion of total caches is very low - they just get talked about all the time which makes you think there are more of them than there are in reality (as a proportion of total caches in an area).

bloody good point, I never saw a single LPC on my WA trip, only extremely cunning urban hides. :unsure:

I'm not sure I'd agree there - we've done quite a few excellent and very cunning urban hides in the USA. A lot of very creative caches where the cache owner has made something to blend is perfectly with it's surroundings.

We've done quite a few creative UK urban hides too but have also done a ton of 35mm containers chucked in the obvious spot too.

I agree - I'm in the Portland/Seattle area for a few days and out of 100 caches, of which at least half have been micros, only one has been under a lamp-post skirt, and that was a small lock-n-lock.

The most common micro container here is the bison tube, which requires a bit of discipline to roll up the log sheet, but otherwise keeps the log nice and dry. I've found perhaps 6 film containers, and of those, half had damp logs - in other words, the usual percentage. :D

Generally speaking the quality of hides and caches here is very close to what you'd see in the UK or Germany. Perhaps there are more drive-ups, but then I'm caching in the suburbs. I imagine things are a little different in Montana.

Just wondered what our equivalent is ? :D

35mm film canister tucked onto the back of an Armco barrier

ditto, velcroed onto the back of an information board / road sign.

They sound positively nice compared to what I think is our REAL equivalent, which is 35mm stuffed at the bottom of a post (fencepost, gatepost, signpost), sometimes with a rock on top... generally very wet!

Swings and roundabouts :blink:.

I like to think we're a little more creative with our urban hides here in the UK.

Last November/December I spent a month in Modesto CA and found three LPCs.

Several, some magnetic, caches were attached to local power transformers, and many, if not most, were on private property.

One log of a cache I didn't try told of how one finder had to evade the security guard to find it! The car park where I found one cache was clearly marked private. One was hidden in the louvres of the air conditioning outlet of a hospital, which was located at the top of the hospital car park. Great views, though!

There were ingenious hides too, and out in the country - at a place called Knights Ferry, there were several with great walks and views of the Stanislaus River.

Edited by walkergeoff