Chain Cache

I have been thinking about placing a cache (series of caches) with a difference. The difference being that whoever gets the FTF, is entitled/obliged to place the next one in the series and the first finder of that cache gets to place the next one...........and so on.

Has anyone done or seen anything similar and would such a cache /series get approval.

My initial thoughts would be to make it an alphabet themed series with the first cache having an association with the letter A.

The first finder would then place the next cache in the series associated with B...and so on.

There would need to be some rules/guidelines but nothing too rigid.

The next cache in the series would need to be:

Within 10 miles of the previous cache.

Would need to be placed within 4 weeks.

Can be of any cache type/size.

If the FTFer did not want to continue the chain, I could place it for them.

What do you think. Is it a good idea??

I have been thinking about placing a cache (series of caches) with a difference. The difference being that whoever gets the FTF, is entitled/obliged to place the next one in the series and the first finder of that cache gets to place the next one...........and so on.

Has anyone done or seen anything similar and would such a cache /series get approval.

My initial thoughts would be to make it an alphabet themed series with the first cache having an association with the letter A.

The first finder would then place the next cache in the series associated with B...and so on.

There would need to be some rules/guidelines but nothing too rigid.

The next cache in the series would need to be:

Within 10 miles of the previous cache.

Can be of any cache type/size.

If the FTFer did not want to continue the chain, I could place it for them.

What do you think. Is it a good idea??

Ooooh......a FTF topic :unsure: :unsure: :anibad:

Its called a seed cache there are few about such as Snoogans ODS (one degree of separation caches) or there were these two near us both now archived.

It would have to be classed as a mystery as would its seed caches if they had the same logging requirements.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d1-7c0384bff95a

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...e2-19bf64b3407d

edit to clarify link to the type of cache you are refering to.

Perhaps you could plant a bonus and just tell each finder to take an envelope with part of the co ords to that in it so when the tenth gets planted finding them all would yield a bonus the plus side of that is that you only maintain two of them :unsure:

Edited by markandlynn

Caches with Mandatory Additional Logging Requirements have to be listed as Puzzle caches. However you may not set a Mandatory ALR which requires the Finder to Place a cache. You may request that they place one and link back to the original cache, just not make it Mandatory.

Alternatively why not place a Mother cache, one which is stocked full of ready to go caches, the ALR being that if they take one, when placed the Mother cache must be linked back to on the Daughter caches page. Those who wish to log the Mother cache without taking one of the Daughter caches may still do so.

I like the idea...

Just a passing thought, though: It would be good if each successive cache could be placed further away from the original cache, heading in a particular direction to create a proper chain stretching over a considerable distance. Otherwise, as the FTFer is likely to be someone from your locality, you might end up with a "cluster" or "coil" rather than a "stretched chain".

MrsB :unsure:

<<<you may not set a Mandatory ALR which requires the Finder to Place a cache. You may request that they place one and link back to the original cache, just not make it Mandatory>>>.

<<<Those who wish to log the Mother cache without taking one of the Daughter caches may still do so.>>>

So the caches ive linked to above would not be allowed now ?

Do you mean like this series?

The Lost Family - The Mother Cache

A cache by The Allotment Gardener

GC12ZP9

And I think the Bolas Heathens did something along similar lines, ready-made caches in a large cache, finders had the option to hide them, Bolas Heathens offered to look after the local ones.

G

The bolas ones are linked up above and prompted my question as they both state logs will be deleted if you dont place one, as well as the offer to adopt them after placement.

Its called a seed cache there are few about such as Snoogans ODS (one degree of separation caches) or there were these two near us both now archived.

It would have to be classed as a mystery as would its seed caches if they had the same logging requirements.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d1-7c0384bff95a

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...e2-19bf64b3407d

edit to clarify link to the type of cache you are refering to.

Perhaps you could plant a bonus and just tell each finder to take an envelope with part of the co ords to that in it so when the tenth gets planted finding them all would yield a bonus the plus side of that is that you only maintain two of them :unsure:

Sorry!

All I get on the link is:

An Error Has Occurred

cache Hidden: N/A

Size: Difficulty: N/A Terrain: N/A (1 is easiest, 5 is hardest)

This cache listing has been archived. Log in to view this page.

Don't always log in when I read the forums.... :anibad:

G

ps. Raises the question, should links have a description so you can get the jist of the link, without having to follow said link? :unsure:

<<<you may not set a Mandatory ALR which requires the Finder to Place a cache. You may request that they place one and link back to the original cache, just not make it Mandatory>>>.

<<<Those who wish to log the Mother cache without taking one of the Daughter caches may still do so.>>>

No sorry since they were published Groundspeak has clarified some of the issues over Mandatory ALR's. One of which is that you may not set one which requires a finder to place a cache. As both were published before Groundspeak clarified the issue, they should be considered to be like any other Grandfathered in Cache.

No sorry since they were published Groundspeak has clarified some of the issues over Mandatory ALR's. One of which is that you may not set one which requires a finder to place a cache. As both were published before Groundspeak clarified the issue, they should be considered to be like any other Grandfathered in Cache.

What if it wasn't a mandatory ALR for the FTFer to hide the next cache, but rather an option - so they could hide the next cache in the series only if they wanted to.

Then if the FTFer didn't want to, the option would pass to the second finder.

What if it wasn't a mandatory ALR for the FTFer to hide the next cache, but rather an option - so they could hide the next cache in the series only if they wanted to.

Then if the FTFer didn't want to, the option would pass to the second finder.

From my original post :unsure:

You may request that they place one and link back to the original cache, just not make it Mandatory.
:unsure::anibad:

Clarification is good :-) Where can we find this clarification, I see no mention in the guidlines.

Funnily enough I have just dug out my "Russian Dolls" cache that I was toying with over a year ago.

Basically, it's caches within caches (hence Russian dolls)

If you are FTF (and want to play the game) You take the cache out.

Then you place it. The person who FTFs this, takes out the next cache.

So far, I've got 6 caches inside 1......

Stu

Thank you question answered :unsure:

Hope the listing guidelines be updated as thats where i looked first before asking in this thread.

I seam to remember seeing a recently published cache which had a condition placed on it; the condition was that you had to drop off TB to log the cache; is that allowed Deci?

If you care to post a link to that particular cache, I'm quite prepared to take the issue to the Reviewer community with a request for clarification off Groundspeak.

Clarification is good :-) Where can we find this clarification, I see no mention in the guidlines.

Clarification was made to Reviewers by Groundspeak in relation to questions raised by the Reviewer Community. When Groundspeak feel there is a need to update the Guidelines they will do so, in between Guideline revisions Reviewers are expected to apply any clarification issued by Groundspeak.

If your not sure about a issue please feel free to contact Eckington,Lactodorum or myself. Alternatively post your questions here in the forums, and you will receive a reply to the best of our ability.

My admittedly limited experience suggests I would be hard pressed to get permission for a cache within 4 weeks. Of the 5 I've tried to get permission for, I've been successful on 2. On those 2 the people responsible for the land were very enthusiastic, but it still took 4 weeks even after I had identified suitable locations.

Rgds, Andy

My admittedly limited experience suggests I would be hard pressed to get permission for a cache within 4 weeks. Of the 5 I've tried to get permission for, I've been successful on 2. On those 2 the people responsible for the land were very enthusiastic, but it still took 4 weeks even after I had identified suitable locations.

Rgds, Andy

Unfortunately that's why so many (most?) caches are placed without permisson. All you need to do is tick the box to say you've got permission and submit. Unless you've hit on something like a SSSI or Woodland Trust or National Trust site and the reviewer notices, you'll be fine and the cache listed..... :rolleyes:

Someone forgotten to put all their socks in the washing machine ? yawn yawn

Are you disagreeing with my comments; presume all your caches have permission?

What would your advice to Amberel be then, oh wise one?

I think hes disagreeing with the point that you have to use a sock puppet to even make a point