Mega Card?

I have just spotted this

ultra_ii_sdhc_32gb.JPG

.....and I thought my 4GB card was big.

Just think how many maps/cache details you could store on that.

Unfortunately most devices (camera - phone - PDA - MP3) which are using SD / MMC cards will not work with the new SDHC standard. I'm sure that a new generation of many SD based products are around the corner, but do not be tempted to try SDHC cards in your present devices as it might just leave you a few bob short in your wallet. If you want to know if your device can use SDHC read it's technical spec.

Edit - This post was edited by someone other than me. It appears that I'm being watched!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW I never posted anything controversial

Edited by Moote

I can remember paying £200 for a floppy disk drive for an extra 1.44mb of memory

I remember paying £80 for an extra 64kb of member.

are you sure you've got the right units here? and was it painful..? :)

I think that Dr Solly has some history in computing (especially judging by his name), so I expect he has got his units right. 64kb of memory used to be a lot. My old BBC microcomputer only had 32kb!

I can remember paying £200 for a floppy disk drive for an extra 1.44mb of memory

are you sure you've got the right units here? and was it painful..? :unsure:

I think that Dr Solly has some history in computing (especially judging by his name), so I expect he has got his units right. 64kb of memory used to be a lot. My old BBC microcomputer only had 32kb!

i was being rude - I don't believe members are measured in Kb... inches maybe.... :unsure:

are you sure you've got the right units here? and was it painful..? :unsure:

Oops. I meant memory, dunno where that other word came from.

Yes, I do have quite a lot of history in computing! And yes, I did mean 64 kilobytes.

It came as eight chips, and I had to plug them into sockets, one by one.

A little while later, I bought a 10 mb hard drive, and that was priced at £1000, but I persuaded them to sell it to me for £600.

Yes, I do have quite a lot of history in computing! And yes, I did mean 64 kilobytes.

A little while later, I bought a 10 mb hard drive, and that was priced at £1000, but I persuaded them to sell it to me for £600.

I designed and built my own Z80 CP/M machine back in the late seventies. The floppies held 112KB and cost £500 each. 64 chips for the RAM, 1KB each. The whole thing cost upward of £2,500, and in 1979/80 that was a LOT of money.

But it paid for itself. I wrote a chess program on it to teach myself programming, and when Sinclair brought out the ZX81 I ported the program onto it in a few days and quickly got it on sale at £15 a pop. So while it cost an awful lot to build, I ended up getting my money back many times over.

Rgds, Andy

I designed and built my own Z80 CP/M machine back in the late seventies. The floppies held 112KB and cost £500 each. 64 chips for the RAM, 1KB each. The whole thing cost upward of £2,500, and in 1979/80 that was a LOT of money.

But it paid for itself. I wrote a chess program on it to teach myself programming, and when Sinclair brought out the ZX81 I ported the program onto it in a few days and quickly got it on sale at £15 a pop. So while it cost an awful lot to build, I ended up getting my money back many times over.

Rgds, Andy

Same here. I splashed out £1900 for an IBM PC in 1983, because I thought IBM would sell a fair few to businesses, and soon after we started selling software for it. Turned out to be a good move!

I bought 16k ram pack for the ZX81 for £30 !

...and said ram pack didn't fit very well. I remember spending all night typing in the 'Basic' of your latest masterpeice exploiting all 16 grayscales only to have the ram pack move and you'd lose the lot. Then you discovered that a matchhead strategically placed could save your frustration...

My how the evenings used to fly by...

What was Bill Gates quote about " all the memory you`ll ever need " ?

The original PC that the majority of us use today was only ever designed to map 640Kb of memory. This was deemed to be more than enough for any foreseen application. When this became difficult, we had all sorts of complex mapping technologies to provide extended or expanded memory to 1 Mb...luxury.

The original PC that the majority of us use today was only ever designed to map 640Kb of memory. This was deemed to be more than enough for any foreseen application. When this became difficult, we had all sorts of complex mapping technologies to provide extended or expanded memory to 1 Mb...luxury.

Who can forget the joys of

DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS

DOS=HIGH,UMB

DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS I=B000-B7FF

:D :D I need to get a life. Where's me GPS and cache list?

When I were a lad we lived in't shoebox in't middle ut t'road..............

I have contributed to Drsolly's sales figures over the years, we now have to beg our hardware people for

Gigabytes of memory and Terabytes of storage to keep our systems running. Sigh, nothing to do with caching though.

I still have some pairs of Dr Solomon's socks, some of the more amusing t-shirts, and a baseball cap that I wear for geocaching (making a heroic attempt to stay on-topic).