Has anyone tried turn-by-turn directions with Colorado?

wazkaren

Has anyone used turn-by-turn directions with the Colorado using City Navigator maps? If so, does it work well? I just got my Colorado today and I'm trying to decide if it's worth $100+ to get City Navigator. Or what about older versions of City Navigator. I'm thinking maybe I could pick up an older version cheaper on e-bay. Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Greg

Has anyone used turn-by-turn directions with the Colorado using City Navigator maps? If so, does it work well? I just got my Colorado today and I'm trying to decide if it's worth $100+ to get City Navigator. Or what about older versions of City Navigator. I'm thinking maybe I could pick up an older version cheaper on e-bay. Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Greg

Older maps = older data ( it was worth it to me to have the most recent Garmin map data available )

I've routed with it using CN 2008, no problems and a nice map view.

My copy of City Navigator arrived earlier this week. I have to say I'm very glad I bought it. I'm impressed by how good the turn-by-turn directions works. Yesterday I had to make a two hour car trip and compared the Colorado with my wifes Street Pilot C530. Except for the obvious hardware differences they are very close. The only problem is now I have to spend even more money and get the car charger and mount.

Greg

I've actually had some interesting experiences, with regard to turn-by-turn auto-routing.

One feature I miss from the 60CSx is the 'intersection view' that appears right before the turn. This is because I'm a "north-up" orientation kind of guy (I find having the map "swing around" me very disorienting) - and I realize that with the Colorado, at least in Automotive mode, defaults to "Track Up", so this is less of an issue. Still - I enjoyed the 'zoomed in' view of the upcoming intersection, and your required turn, upon approach.

Secondly - and this is what I find very interesting:

I was using both the 60CSx and Colorado the other day on a blitz up to Yuba City. Both are loaded with CN2008. Along the way, I made some 'detours', forcing both units to re-route. What I discovered was quite interesting:

At one point - the 60CSx and the CO had totally different 'opinions' of the right way to go. This went on for quite some time - with the 60 continuing to suggest "making a U-turn" and heading back to the freeway. I'm really glad I followed the CO - based on the overall route information: The CO was predicting a 5-mile shorter route, with a 7 minute earlier ETA.

So - while I've pondered it before - I've never really put much thought into the actual algorithms used in these units (or ANY routing software - Google Maps, MS Streets & Trips, etc). It would appear that, all other things being equal (map data, location, etc) - that the 60CSx has a penchant for freeways. It happened several times during the day - it would want to route me out of the way to get to, or back on, a "highway" - even one like Hwy 99 through the CA central valley (which has plenty of 'slow' sections).

Anyway - it was just an interesting observation to see the two units making different decisions, based on the same data.

I don't know if they have the navigating kit for the Colorado, but that is the way I went with my 60CX. This gets you City Navigator and the car mounts at a reduced price from buying them seperately.

I didn't see the option when I purchased my 400t. Of course, I already owned CN2008, so probably wouldn't have purchased it even if I DID find it, but...

When I found the 'automotive' kit - it only included a 12vdc adapter, and a suction-cup mount for the Colorado.

I have two questions / observations about this:

A) According to California Vehicle code 26708a, as also referenced directly by Garmin here - a suction-cup window mount is illegal. I've got both a bean-bag dash mount (used most often) and suction-cup mount for the 60CSx - but it appears that only the latter is currently available for the Colorado? What are us California and Minnesota drivers to do?

:ph34r: I've got no shortage of 12vdc USB power adapters: My Blackberry uses this 'same' charger. So - the day I got my Colorado - I went ahead and plugged in the BB power adapter... and about cried. It caused the unit to 'glitch', and eventually shutdown. I couldn't understand how the pinout would be so significantly different - but I was really worried I'd cooked the Colorado. Fortunately, removing the batteries "brought it back to life" - and I didn't try plugging in a 12vdc adapter until I obtained the 'auto kit' for the CO which included a Garmin one. Any idea what gives, here?

On a slightly-related note: One time, the CO went into 'USB mode' when attaching it to the 12vdc car adapter - but just once. Unplugged the unit, powered it back on, and re-connected - and everything was fine.

:blink: I've got no shortage of 12vdc USB power adapters: My Blackberry uses this 'same' charger. So - the day I got my Colorado - I went ahead and plugged in the BB power adapter... and about cried. It caused the unit to 'glitch', and eventually shutdown. I couldn't understand how the pinout would be so significantly different - but I was really worried I'd cooked the Colorado. Fortunately, removing the batteries "brought it back to life" - and I didn't try plugging in a 12vdc adapter until I obtained the 'auto kit' for the CO which included a Garmin one. Any idea what gives, here?

On a slightly-related note: One time, the CO went into 'USB mode' when attaching it to the 12vdc car adapter - but just once. Unplugged the unit, powered it back on, and re-connected - and everything was fine.

The Blackberrys have a higher current output than most USB chargers. Try taking a different USB charger and plug it in to your Blackberry. It won't show that the unit is charging. I would guess that the CO shut down to prevent it from burning up.

The Blackberrys have a higher current output than most USB chargers. Try taking a different USB charger and plug it in to your Blackberry. It won't show that the unit is charging. I would guess that the CO shut down to prevent it from burning up.

Greetings, webscouter!

Interesting. Actually, my experience has been a little different than that - but I'm not doubting what you say. I've charged my BB (a couple of them, over the years - currently, a Verizon 8830e) with methods ranging from a provided 12vdc car charger, a direct USB cable connected to my laptop USB 2.0 port, and a variety of wall chargers (both BB-specific, as well as another USB charger for a Motorola Bluetooth communication device.

I never thought to check (or worry about) the current output of the various USB chargers. I just naively assumed that they'd have a common pinout on the mini USB connector, providing 5vdc on VCC. While I know that if a device tries to draw more current than a supply can provide - bad things happen. But - if the charger can provide, for example, 500mA, but the Garmin's charging circuit only wants to draw 300mA - would it really cook the load, or just draw less from the source? Guess it depends on how both sides are built...

Anyway, it was an interesting lesson for me to learn, as I've used these things completely interchangeably, in the past. No more - I've got not one, but two Garmin 12vdc adapters for the Colorado (though I assume it would work with a Nuvi, or ... ?).

I'll have to see how the Blackberry responds, when plugged into the Garmin USB charger. I'm also going to look at my wall chargers, and see if they have current ratings printed on them. I'm pretty confident that the 12volt charger does not.

Thanks for the insight!

Billy

The auto kit comes with a flat smooth disk you can try to mount somewhere other than your windshield.

Ahhh, yes: The sticky disk. I forgot about that - I've been apprehensive to sticking these things to my dash in the past, but at this point - I don't seem to have another (legal) choice.

Thanks for the reminder!

The auto kit comes with a flat smooth disk you can try to mount somewhere other than your windshield.

Ahhh, yes: The sticky disk. I forgot about that - I've been apprehensive to sticking these things to my dash in the past, but at this point - I don't seem to have another (legal) choice.

Thanks for the reminder!

I ordered the car kit from garmin too. I was upset that they didn't have a bean bag mount (why I can't imagine), I just hope that the disk works well enough in my car since it appears to be the same as the marine mount and my dashboard has a textured surface.

Edit to stay on topic: I also wanted to point out that along with what SnoWake noticed, the Colorado makes decisions much quicker with CN 2008. Many times with my 60CS when I made a wrong turn and needed to know which way (right, or left) is best to get back on course, the light would change and I'd have to drive through the intersection while it was still calculating, only to be told that I should have turned left back there. The Colorado plots a complicated route, re-routes and decides 'detours' in seconds with CN 08.

I too missed the intersection preview screen at first, but found that the rockin' roller gave fast access to a zoomed in version of the intersection as I approached it (especially in 3D view).

Edited by scavok

I have portions of CN 2008 on my Colorado. It's MUCH faster than I expected--I was used to handhelds having slow processors. But the Colorado has a 266 MHz processor and it shows. I love being able to route to a cache in automotive profile for driving, then switch to the geocaching profile to arrive at the cache over the walking route.