Garmin 60CSx + 4GB SDHC? I know it's been asked millions times but...

xxgg

Hello.

First of all, I am sorry to ask this damned same question again.

Not sure if this was asked aswell but...

I know 60CSx can NOT work with 4GB microSD (SDHC) card...

BUT...

Does it not even recognize the card?

or does it recognize but only be able to utilize 2GB of it? (SDHC)?

Hello.

BUT...

It will work with a 4GB microSD. I only have about 1.4GB loaded on a SanDisk 4GB HDSC, so I am not sure if it will recognize the rest of the memory. If no one can positively answer this one, I will try going over 2GB tonight when I return from work, and post a response, but it wouldn't surprise me if someone has already tried it.

Hello.

BUT...

It will work with a 4GB microSD. I only have about 1.4GB loaded on a SanDisk 4GB HDSC, so I am not sure if it will recognize the rest of the memory. If no one can positively answer this one, I will try going over 2GB tonight when I return from work, and post a response, but it wouldn't surprise me if someone has already tried it.

Would you clarify which gpsr you are using and that it is using a Sandisk 4gb Micro SDHC card? It was my understanding the SDHC format was not compatable with any of Garmin's handhelds.

Hello.

BUT...

Would you clarify which gpsr you are using and that it is using a Sandisk 4gb Micro SDHC card? It was my understanding the SDHC format was not compatable with any of Garmin's handhelds.

Cards up to 6 GB have been used in the 60 and 76 series units. They are recognized and work with the exception that if you load over 2 GB of maps, the unit won’t see any of them. That’s probably why some people think they don’t work. The free space on any size card can be used for track log storage and it is accessible in mass storage mode and may be used for other purposes.

Edit: forgot to mention that there is also a limit of 2025 map segments on these units.

Edited by roybassist

Cards up to 6 GB have been used in the 60 and 76 series units. They are recognized and work with the exception that if you load over 2 GB of maps, the unit won’t see any of them. That’s probably why some people think they don’t work. The free space on any size card can be used for track log storage and it is accessible in mass storage mode and may be used for other purposes.

Edit: forgot to mention that there is also a limit of 2025 map segments on these units.

Are these 6 gb cards SDHC or SD? The 60/76 series uses micro-sd cards. I wasn't aware there were any micro-sd cards on the market yet that are over 2gb, except in the SDHC format. I thought the 60/76 series could not read the SDHC format cards.

Cards up to 6 GB have been used in the 60 and 76 series units. They are recognized and work with the exception that if you load over 2 GB of maps, the unit won't see any of them. That's probably why some people think they don't work. The free space on any size card can be used for track log storage and it is accessible in mass storage mode and may be used for other purposes.

Are these 6 gb cards SDHC or SD? The 60/76 series uses micro-sd cards. I wasn't aware there were any micro-sd cards on the market yet that are over 2gb, except in the SDHC format. I thought the 60/76 series could not read the SDHC format cards.

The 60CSx will read HC cards. That is my personal experience. I did say that I was not sure if it would read memory beyond the 2GB limit, and some posters have stated that they will not. I've never tried loading maps beyond 2GB, so I cannot speak from personal experience on that. I am now curious, and intend on trying it myself.

I asked a Garmin tech support guy that question before I bought my 60csx. He said a 4 gig card will not work. Apparently he meant a 4 gig card will function, but you will only be able to access the first 2 gigs of maps on that card. I might suggest if you are dying to get all your maps on cards, to buy as many 1 or 2 gig cards as you think you will need and load them up. You can attach them inside the back shell of the battery compartment and access them as needed.

Edited by mdg2003

I've always been a proponent of buying two or more smaller cards just for redundancy sake or map simplicity as long as one is large enough to load what you need without swapping cards very often.

However, I'm seeing alot of contradictory statements about which cards will and won't work so was trying to pin down someone who could specifically state he had successfully used something over 2GB and whether it was the original Micro-SD format or the Micro-SD HC format. Things chnge...card technology, firmware updates, etc., and what once WAS doesn't necessarily mean IT STILL IS.

I'm seeing alot of contradictory statements about which cards will and won't work so was trying to pin down someone who could specifically state he had successfully used something over 2GB and whether it was the original Micro-SD format or the Micro-SD HC format. Things chnge...card technology, firmware updates, etc., and what once WAS doesn't necessarily mean IT STILL IS.

annoyedone of the Yahoo group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Garmin_GPSmap_76C/ documented in May of 2007 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Garmin_GPSma...eaded=1&l=1 that 4 GB cards worked as I described in my previous post.

More recently he documented the same thing with 6 GB cards. http:// http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Garmin_GPSma...eaded=1&l=1 You won’t be able to see the photos unless you join the group, but you can read the posts.

If I’m not mistaken, all SD and Micro-SD over 2 GB are HC by definition.

[

If I’m not mistaken, all SD and Micro-SD over 2 GB are HC by definition.

I used to think that too, but Newegg lists a couple 4GB SD cards as well as 4GB SDHC cards. I've not seen any 4GB or larger Micro-SD cards offered other than in the HC format.

You're right. I didn't realize that some manufacturers are producing non-standard 4 gig cards. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card#SDHC. I would stay away from those. Also, there was an issue that the 60 and 76 x models would toast Sandisk Ultra II cards. Don't know whether that's been fixed.

While there may be 4 gig SD cards that are not HC, I don't think you'll find any 6 gig cards that aren't.

In any case,

The 60CSx will read HC cards. That is my personal experience.

That's about as clear as it gets.

See also: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Garmin_GPSmap_76C/message/6434

Cards up to 6 GB have been used in the 60 and 76 series units. They are recognized and work with the exception that if you load over 2 GB of maps, the unit won't see any of them. That's probably why some people think they don't work. The free space on any size card can be used for track log storage and it is accessible in mass storage mode and may be used for other purposes.

The 60CSx will read HC cards. That is my personal experience. I did say that I was not sure if it would read memory beyond the 2GB limit, and some posters have stated that they will not. I've never tried loading maps beyond 2GB, so I cannot speak from personal experience on that. I am now curious, and intend on trying it myself.

Looking forward to the result.

I tried it last night, but was only able to load about 2.14 GB onto the card before reaching the segment limit. The card worked, but with so little over 2GB, there is no easy way to tell if I tried to access any data in the upper 2GB.

I was using City Navigator and Topo, and Topo has very small map segments. Someone with a second map, that uses larger segments, might be able to do it, but not me.

At this point, I'd have to say that while a 4GB HC card will work, you must assume that you will only be able to use 2GB of the card. I'm using it because it's what I have, not because I need more storage space.

I tried it last night, but was only able to load about 2.14 GB onto the card before reaching the segment limit. The card worked, but with so little over 2GB, there is no easy way to tell if I tried to access any data in the upper 2GB.

I was using City Navigator and Topo, and Topo has very small map segments. Someone with a second map, that uses larger segments, might be able to do it, but not me.

At this point, I'd have to say that while a 4GB HC card will work, you must assume that you will only be able to use 2GB of the card. I'm using it because it's what I have, not because I need more storage space.

Awesome.

I am glad to hear that 4GB SDHC type of card is atleast recognized. and work upto 2GB.

Sure being able to use upto 4GB would be good but I am just happy that SDHC card works.

I would rather buy 4GB SDHC than a regular 2GB... just in case. Besides... I could always use it for

something else if I had to in future.... heck... you might just get a miracle firmware update.

Thanks for test it out!

Awesome.

I am glad to hear that 4GB SDHC type of card is atleast recognized. and work upto 2GB.

Sure being able to use upto 4GB would be good but I am just happy that SDHC card works.

I would rather buy 4GB SDHC than a regular 2GB... just in case. Besides... I could always use it for

something else if I had to in future.... heck... you might just get a miracle firmware update.

In the meantime, you can use the remaining 2 GB for storing any data other than map files. Track logs, any other files you want to carry around with you. You can access it in mass storage mode.

as of today, or some other recent day, maps over 2GiB can now be used with the v3.90 firmware that can be downloaded and used with "garmin web updater". this will for sure end the "why not" question once and for all. i got a 4GB kingston card and loaded 3,6GiB of mapdata onto it and it works just fine as far as i can see. ;)

as of today, or some other recent day, maps over 2GiB can now be used with the v3.90 firmware that can be downloaded and used with "garmin web updater". this will for sure end the "why not" question once and for all. i got a 4GB kingston card and loaded 3,6GiB of mapdata onto it and it works just fine as far as i can see. ;)

How many map segments was that? Others are reporting the limit is still 2025 segments.

Hi, if there is still any question about compatibility with the microSDHC 4gm card- I just bought a Rino530Hcx and put in a sandisk 4gb microSDHC card, but couldn't load to it using mapsource 6.11.* but it worked fine when i updated my mapsource to 6.13.7.

I haven't yet attempted to load more than 2 gigs onto it and I can't comment on the map segment limitation because I do not know how to look that up.