2 times, still no luck?

MooseCaboose

Ok, so I have 'Geocaching For Dummies' and have read it, and have read through this site. I'm tired of reading! :huh:

I have tried two different ones to find, the first time, with my boyfriend, the second time (different location) with my boyfriend and another couple. We had 4 people searching for one and had no luck.

It might help to add that they have both been in crowded areas, so we did them both at night.

I'm just wondering if there is some sort of secret to make this possible?

If someone in my area would like to come with us and show us the "tricks of the trade" that would be awesome!

We live by Santiago Canyon College....if anyone wants to help out ;)

Thanks for reading, and I hope I learn something new. :huh:

Hello,

Others will probably respond as well, but the common suggestions willl likely include searching for caches that are not micro or nano sized caches as they can be difficult to find for experienced cachers.

Make sure your GPS is set to the right datum, someone else can help with the specifics, but I think WGS84 or something like that is what you want.

Searching at night probably made your job harder as well, as some hides are difficult to find even in broad daylight.

Look for caches that are larger sized caches if possible for your first few, and have a difficulty and terrain ratings between 1-2. That should give you a better chance.

The other mistake I made as a beginner (and continue to make fairly often) was relying too much on the GPS. I was waiting for it to paint me an arrow on the ground pointing at the cache. I forgot that coords can be off as much as 40-50 feet, and that once you get close, it is time to put the GPS in your pocket and "turn over some rocks"

Good luck, you will get it, and it will consume you! :huh:

Edited by kraushad

Micro caches can be very difficult until you have a better idea of what to look for.

In General though, look for anything out-of-place. Unusual. Things that do not belong. Lines that are too regular, edges too smooth, one object too big. Think like a hider, where would you hide something in this setting? Look there. Feel where you cannot look. Micros are often magnetic. Looks for unusual piles of leaves, sticks, rocks, sand, grass etc. Think vertical, not all caches are on or near the ground. Try at different times - the lighting can make a big difference. Be persistent. Have fun.

As stated above, do not expect the GPSr to point you directly to the cache. Be prepared to search an area up to 40 or so feet from where the GPS says it should be.

I am fairly new at this myself having started just after this past Christmas. Here is my suggestion...

Look for some difficulty ratings of 1 to start off with. Also, see if you can find a local cacher that is willing to give you some hints when you get stuck searching. You can also contact the hiders directly if you want any tips.

Just keep at it. Eventually you will find a few. Each one gives you new ideas on how caches are hidden. Eventually you will be able to find some easier. Now if they were ALL easy, it wouldn't be as fun. ;)

Enjoy!

Craig

C&S 143

Thank you so much ;)

Ya, I made sure not to look for ones that were too small or too hard. I looked at easy ones. It's just hard to get started ;)

I chose ones that I knew the area, so we would have the gps lead us to right where we knew it was, and we would search, so no worries on the whole gps thing.

I guess I'll just have to try a day search :) It's hard when you work and go to school and still try to have a life. haha.

Thanks again for your help. Maybe you'll see a little red head wandering around like an idiot and say "hey, there's MooseCaboose!" haha.

I see you saw we found one!

Actually, finding that one made us want more....it is VERY addicting. We found 4 in one day!!

I'm so excited!!

The first one is kind of a funny one. I used to live right where it was, and me and my daddy had tried to find it a few years ago with no luck, and now, years later, me and my boyfriend went back to the spot, and we found it!!

Then we came home and got more GPS coords and went and found three more!

Thanks so much for your tips. I now see I was looking for micro ones, so now we've been looking for regular size ones, and have had nothing but luck!!

Thanks for helping us get into the madness!!

I see you saw we found one!

Actually, finding that one made us want more....it is VERY addicting. We found 4 in one day!!

I'm so excited!!

The first one is kind of a funny one. I used to live right where it was, and me and my daddy had tried to find it a few years ago with no luck, and now, years later, me and my boyfriend went back to the spot, and we found it!!

Then we came home and got more GPS coords and went and found three more!

Thanks so much for your tips. I now see I was looking for micro ones, so now we've been looking for regular size ones, and have had nothing but luck!!

Thanks for helping us get into the madness!!

Aw... cripes! You coulda just walked away! Now there's no way out. You're hooked for life...

(Welcome to the game!)

We started geocaching in N Virginia. We chose a big park along the Potomac for our first hunt. We only found one cache that day and I really think it was because I had extensively read the logs for the cache and seen a few pics from the terrain near the cache, this helped us feel like we were at least on the right track and the hint sealed the deal. On the other two we tried we couldn't find even after searching all over!!! For one cache the GPS was telling us to go down the hill into the river! Which I know wasn't right!

Since we moved to Pensacola we have had much better luck! We've definately taken the advice of some on the forums and not relied to heavily on the GPS. Usually when we get out of the car, we can look at the GPS and see the general direction it wants to take us, then alot of the time we'll stand there are look for something that would be a good hidding spot, an old dead tree, a big rock pile, a nice thick hedge. Apparently those types of things are like gold to the hiders!! Then we head there are let the GPS confirm our suspicions and start searching. The clues help alot and so do the logs when we get stuck. The title of the cache sometimes helps, and sometimes just looking out for something a little out of the ordinary helps. But there are still some that our brains, the GPS and the terrain just don't cooperate on and we set aside for another time. We haven't tried urban or night hunts yet. We just barely make it during the day!! Keep trying!!!

Don't worry, I still take 3 times to find one once in a while and I have 200+ finds. Some of them are just hard. Night time is even worse! Keep in mind your gps might be 30ft off at times so I normally get to where it says I am at GZ and I look to see how accurate my GPS is...then I just start doing circles from there and eventually it turns up! And also the person who placed it might not be dead on with their coords, they could be some feet off too. Look high, look low you just never know!