Missing or unknown location

Gan Dalf

I have a bug that was traded at an event. The person who recieved it in trade has not seen fit to record it and the person who traded it to them does not remeber who they gave it to so there is no way for me to contact the current possesor of my bug. This occured over two weeks ago.

I read in the FAQ that an owner can move a bug to an unknown location. Is this the same as marking it as missing? I've considered doing that until it pops up again, if it ever does, but I am concerend that if I mark it as missing this will somehow effect it's ability to get back out into circulation if the person who has it ever decides to place it soemwhere else.

Can someome tell me what the difference is between marking something missing and moving it to an unknown location (if any)? I don't see an option for "move to unknown location" either on the TB page or as an option for wrting a note on it.

thanks for any help.

Yes, You place it into the Unknown location by Marking it Missing. The option is on the bug page under the pull down menu labeled Recalculate Distance.

The bug can easily be pulled into someones possession simply by logging a Grab.

If it's sitting on an event cache page you don't need to rush to move it. No one is looking for that event expecting to find a bug.

Two weeks is a long time but don't give up hope. I think it'll show up here pretty soon.

If it's only been 2 weeks, don't give up hope. I see you are in Washington, was the event that direction? The weather across the USA has been bad enough that a lot of cachers have not been active. Wait until the nice weather appears before you worry about it. :unsure:

Yes, the event was in Washington, not far from my home. I actually wanted to go to it but couldn't make the time. I e-mailed the people who placed the bug in the event in the first place to see if they could remember who they traded it for but they couldn't remeber who they traded with for it. Turns out that of 200 or 300 bugs that were originally placed in the event cache, mine and only 4 others are the only ones that have not been logged and all of them were traded by the people who traded mine.

The weather has been both good and bad since the event although even when it has been dry it has been very cold so perhaps you are right and my bug will appear sometime this spring but I just wish people would be more dilgent about logging the bugs they find. I am always very dilgent about logging bugs that I take or even discover in cache's. I have a hard time understanding why people can't be more like me... :unsure: