Community College Caches

Just wanted to get some opinions. I teach at our local community college and approached campus police for permission to place a cache on school property. They hemmed and hawed about it an still haven't made a decision. There are a few other caches on other community college property in the area.

Anyone else have a problem with permission from the local community college about placing a cache?

Maybe I should speak to a different department? I just figured campus police would be the right dept to ask so they don't wonder what people are poking around in the wooded areas on campus for......

Think I'm going to go back to them with a list of the other schools around here that have caches and see if that helps.....

Any more ideas, advice or comments?

Tracy of Dick'N'Tracy

Sit down with them and ask what their concerns are. Pointing to other campuses won't really solve anything as you'd be trying to use peer pressure (all the cool kids are doing it) to get it done.

I'm not sure that campus police are the right people to ask. I'm not sure who would be, but I doubt they really have the authority to say yes or no.

I would think that talking to someone in an administrative position would be better.

I've been discussing placing a cache with someone at our local community college as well. I'm trying to remember what her job title was....something to do with community relations I think, although I could be mistaken. But she said that out of all the people at the college, her department was the one that I needed to work with. She seemed really interested in the idea.

Edited by Ambrosia

Pointing to other campuses won't really solve anything as you'd be trying to use peer pressure (all the cool kids are doing it) to get it done.

I have to disagree. Informing proper authorities that college caches have been successful and problem free can be a great tool to help relieve concern, especially if the colleges are in the area. Reading through logs and finding any problems or lack of problems can help as well. If authorities see that cachers have a great time visiting their campuses, it could provide a lot of relief.

I'd think you'd want to speak with whoever is in charge of the college's facilities, buildings, and realestate. If a cache is approved for placement on campus I'd guess the campus police would need to be consulted/informed by whoever makes the decision.

As was suggested, sit down with them in a face-to-face meeting and find out what they know about geocaching, fill in any gaps in their knowledge, address their concerns, etc.

I'd think you'd want to speak with whoever is in charge of the college's facilities, buildings, and realestate. If a cache is approved for placement on campus I'd guess the campus police would need to be consulted/informed by whoever makes the decision.

Agreed. The police should be informed, but I'm not sure they make the decision.

As to the point of "other campuses are doing it" - there's nothing to say that other campuses are aware of the caches on their property and this could be opening a can of worms.

What bout:

- Contact the owner of some caches on other campuses

- Ask who they worked with

- See if the other campus "approver" would be willing to act as a reference, or at least state their knowledge and approval of the caches

- Take that info to the proper person at the campus you want to work with

I have hides at SWOSU in Weatherford, OK. I (and another cacher) got permission from the Public Relations office. We showed them how it would cause people to VISIT THE CAMPUS and they are all for that.

Then we NOTIFIED the campus police of the caches so that they would expect some suspicious behavior. Cops are not good at deciding policy, just enforcing it as they understand it.

I found two caches at a community college. The cache hider is one of the faculty, and received permission from the college president. (That would seem to be to be the proper source. As Okiebryan says, the campus police are not the proper authority.) The campus security is a hired outside security organization. I would imagine that it would be difficult to keep such an organization apprised of geocaching. Nonmotivational Insecurity did not take kindly to me parking at the far end of the parking lot, and traipsing about in the woods. After a brief questioning, I decided that I will ignore such caches in the future.